Blind, deaf and no sense of smell.

Breed: Tabby
Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since then. In the last two weeks, he has become blind, deaf, and lost his sense of smell. I took him to the vet yesterday for a consultation. Since he has very swollen gums and tartar issues, he will have his teeth cleaned tomorrow. She said his heart was strong, kidney function good, and she could not see cataracts. My question is about the loss of these senses and the possible cause or causes. Any chance of recovering the sense of smell or hearing?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Jack is having these problems.

We can sometimes see blindness as a result of hyperthyroidism if the hyperthyroidism causes high blood pressure and the high blood pressure causes the retina at the back of the eye to detach. This is usually something that we can see on an exam of the eye. However, if Jack's hyperthyroidism has been under control with medication then this type of problem is not common.

If the blindness *is* due to a detached retina, then in some cases the vision can return if the blood pressure is brought back to normal quickly. But, quite often the blindness is permanent.

There are other causes of blindness and often it is hard to know what the cause is.

Hyperthyroidism should not cause deafness or loss of a sense of smell. Really there isn't a specific disease condition that would cause blindness, deafness and sense of smell all at once. I suppose we could make a case that a brain tumor could be doing this, but for a tumor to affect all of these senses it would have to be very widespread and I would think you'd also be seeing other symptoms like seizures and lack of appetite.

Unfortunately the only way to diagnose a brain tumor would be to have an MRI done and that usually is not in the budget for most people and is not available in all areas.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. I think that the dental cleaning is a good idea. It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would.

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (19571 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (15686 views)

Overdose of drontal. My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we... (30990 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (13591 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (13300 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (7675 views)

Lump on boxer's neck. Hi, My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj... (50881 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (21632 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (9133 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (8717 views)