Blind, deaf and no sense of smell.

Breed: Tabby
Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since then. In the last two weeks, he has become blind, deaf, and lost his sense of smell. I took him to the vet yesterday for a consultation. Since he has very swollen gums and tartar issues, he will have his teeth cleaned tomorrow. She said his heart was strong, kidney function good, and she could not see cataracts. My question is about the loss of these senses and the possible cause or causes. Any chance of recovering the sense of smell or hearing?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Jack is having these problems.

We can sometimes see blindness as a result of hyperthyroidism if the hyperthyroidism causes high blood pressure and the high blood pressure causes the retina at the back of the eye to detach. This is usually something that we can see on an exam of the eye. However, if Jack's hyperthyroidism has been under control with medication then this type of problem is not common.

If the blindness *is* due to a detached retina, then in some cases the vision can return if the blood pressure is brought back to normal quickly. But, quite often the blindness is permanent.

There are other causes of blindness and often it is hard to know what the cause is.

Hyperthyroidism should not cause deafness or loss of a sense of smell. Really there isn't a specific disease condition that would cause blindness, deafness and sense of smell all at once. I suppose we could make a case that a brain tumor could be doing this, but for a tumor to affect all of these senses it would have to be very widespread and I would think you'd also be seeing other symptoms like seizures and lack of appetite.

Unfortunately the only way to diagnose a brain tumor would be to have an MRI done and that usually is not in the budget for most people and is not available in all areas.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. I think that the dental cleaning is a good idea. It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would.

Cat struggling to breathe. It looks like my cat is struggling to breathe. I can see her chest moving up and... (12624 views)

Can't move back legs. Cat is not able to move back legs and yowling. Maybe paralyzed? No accidents. Need... (15210 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (9889 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (53558 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (20138 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (7577 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (11121 views)

Cat abscess not healing. About two weeks ago we took my cat to the vet, he has a abscess near his bottom, the... (11015 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (5640 views)

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (72606 views)