Blind, deaf and no sense of smell.

Breed: Tabby
Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since then. In the last two weeks, he has become blind, deaf, and lost his sense of smell. I took him to the vet yesterday for a consultation. Since he has very swollen gums and tartar issues, he will have his teeth cleaned tomorrow. She said his heart was strong, kidney function good, and she could not see cataracts. My question is about the loss of these senses and the possible cause or causes. Any chance of recovering the sense of smell or hearing?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Jack is having these problems.

We can sometimes see blindness as a result of hyperthyroidism if the hyperthyroidism causes high blood pressure and the high blood pressure causes the retina at the back of the eye to detach. This is usually something that we can see on an exam of the eye. However, if Jack's hyperthyroidism has been under control with medication then this type of problem is not common.

If the blindness *is* due to a detached retina, then in some cases the vision can return if the blood pressure is brought back to normal quickly. But, quite often the blindness is permanent.

There are other causes of blindness and often it is hard to know what the cause is.

Hyperthyroidism should not cause deafness or loss of a sense of smell. Really there isn't a specific disease condition that would cause blindness, deafness and sense of smell all at once. I suppose we could make a case that a brain tumor could be doing this, but for a tumor to affect all of these senses it would have to be very widespread and I would think you'd also be seeing other symptoms like seizures and lack of appetite.

Unfortunately the only way to diagnose a brain tumor would be to have an MRI done and that usually is not in the budget for most people and is not available in all areas.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. I think that the dental cleaning is a good idea. It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would.

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (23369 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (33801 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (7518 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (6298 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (16418 views)

Brown fur from licking. Plato has been licking his paws, face and butt a lot. Now those areas are turning... (44953 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (21071 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (7764 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (17945 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (15416 views)