Blind, deaf and no sense of smell.

Breed: Tabby
Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since then. In the last two weeks, he has become blind, deaf, and lost his sense of smell. I took him to the vet yesterday for a consultation. Since he has very swollen gums and tartar issues, he will have his teeth cleaned tomorrow. She said his heart was strong, kidney function good, and she could not see cataracts. My question is about the loss of these senses and the possible cause or causes. Any chance of recovering the sense of smell or hearing?

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that Jack is having these problems.

We can sometimes see blindness as a result of hyperthyroidism if the hyperthyroidism causes high blood pressure and the high blood pressure causes the retina at the back of the eye to detach. This is usually something that we can see on an exam of the eye. However, if Jack's hyperthyroidism has been under control with medication then this type of problem is not common.

If the blindness *is* due to a detached retina, then in some cases the vision can return if the blood pressure is brought back to normal quickly. But, quite often the blindness is permanent.

There are other causes of blindness and often it is hard to know what the cause is.

Hyperthyroidism should not cause deafness or loss of a sense of smell. Really there isn't a specific disease condition that would cause blindness, deafness and sense of smell all at once. I suppose we could make a case that a brain tumor could be doing this, but for a tumor to affect all of these senses it would have to be very widespread and I would think you'd also be seeing other symptoms like seizures and lack of appetite.

Unfortunately the only way to diagnose a brain tumor would be to have an MRI done and that usually is not in the budget for most people and is not available in all areas.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. I think that the dental cleaning is a good idea. It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would.

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (8066 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (8781 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (10847 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (5642 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (5000 views)

Costco Kirkland flea product Hello We have 2 American Bulldogs. We have been using Frontline for a few years... (13257 views)

Natural allergy remedies. Options for a dog allergic to grass? Not interested in doing drugs for the rest of... (9710 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old dachshund. She consumed 2 and 1/2 pieces of... (10366 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9528 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (5332 views)