Lump on hamster's toe.

Breed: Syrian Hamster
Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my hamster's front paw. I didn't think much of it and even forgot about it. I happened to notice it again tonight. The color hasn't changed but it does appear to be a tiny bit bigger now. It doesn't seem to be causing her any pain but I'm wondering if it's something I should be concerned about. It's not affecting her mobility or anything but her toe does look slightly bigger than the others. Could it be something serious?

It's always hard to try to get a diagnosis for lumps online, so I won't be able to say for certain what is going on but I can give you a few ideas.

It's not really common for a hamster to have a lump on it's foot, especially a red one. My first thought was that it could be some type of infection or abscess. However, if this were the case it really should be bothering Cheeto. You would think she would be trying to get at it more.

Another possibility that is actually more likely is something called polyoma virus. This virus can be spread through the urine of hamsters. It can cause a couple of different type of tumors including one called trichoepithelioma and another called lymphoma and both of those can cause lumps to form.

Polyoma virus is very contagious so if you have other hamsters you will need to keep them separated from Cheeto.

One of the problems with trying to figure out what this is is that it can be expensive. The only way to know for sure would be have a vet do a biopsy of it. But then, even if we do get a diagnosis, we are not completely sure on how to treat these types of tumors (if that's what it is). Unfortunately they can often spread and cause a hamster to become very sick.

As with a lot of conditions with hamsters there is probably not a lot that can be done here. However, if you really want to know what is happening, a visit to a vet who is experienced with hamsters is a really good idea.

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (4142 views)

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (17465 views)

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (27297 views)

Dried blood in ferret's ears. My ferret has dry blood in it's ears what does that... (12895 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (6860 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (18904 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (6253 views)

Tooth infection. i have an 8 year old pomerian i rescued a few years ago he has real bad teeth right... (4734 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (11583 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (46409 views)