Infected spay incision?

Breed: tortoiseshell
Dear Dr.Marie,

My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps well. Seemingly she is recovering properly.

But I'm concerned about her incision. Do you think it is about to open or is getting infected? I am sending the photo to photos@askavetquestion.com

My concern is the red part on the top of the wound. Has the stitches come loose partially, or is the redness caused by an infection?

Do I have to take her to vet immediately?

Please advise me.

Thank you,

Yuko

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry I could not answer it sooner than I did.

Here is the photo you sent: infected spay incision

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing Twiggy. From looking at the photo, my answer could go either way.

How is Twiggy acting? If she is paying no attention at all to her incision and if the redness and swelling is not getting worse then I think it is ok to watch this for a few days.

However, here are some criteria that would make me want to have her seen:

-If she is licking at it more than a couple of times a day.
-If there is any yellow fluid leaking out.
-If you can see an obvious hole. (Don't worry if you can...there are three layers of stitches and the vet likely won't have to redo any surgery, but they may want to put her on antibiotics.)
-If she doesn't want to eat
-If you feel in your gut that something is wrong.

If none of the above are happening then I would keep an eye on things. Sometimes cats can have significant swelling on their spay incision that goes down after a week or so.

I hope things work out ok!

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (8284 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (8526 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (5039 views)

Vomiting every day. My cat has been throwing up almost every day for weeks but not after feeding. This... (29620 views)

What does rat poison look like? I live in a town right outside of Boston, MA. We recently got a lot of snow, so they... (18480 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (5159 views)

Fluid in the lungs that got better. Hi, My boy Buster Brown has an array of health probs from dry eye syndrome to... (6021 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (9084 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (9056 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (9683 views)