Infected spay incision?

Breed: tortoiseshell
Dear Dr.Marie,

My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps well. Seemingly she is recovering properly.

But I'm concerned about her incision. Do you think it is about to open or is getting infected? I am sending the photo to photos@askavetquestion.com

My concern is the red part on the top of the wound. Has the stitches come loose partially, or is the redness caused by an infection?

Do I have to take her to vet immediately?

Please advise me.

Thank you,

Yuko

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry I could not answer it sooner than I did.

Here is the photo you sent: infected spay incision

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing Twiggy. From looking at the photo, my answer could go either way.

How is Twiggy acting? If she is paying no attention at all to her incision and if the redness and swelling is not getting worse then I think it is ok to watch this for a few days.

However, here are some criteria that would make me want to have her seen:

-If she is licking at it more than a couple of times a day.
-If there is any yellow fluid leaking out.
-If you can see an obvious hole. (Don't worry if you can...there are three layers of stitches and the vet likely won't have to redo any surgery, but they may want to put her on antibiotics.)
-If she doesn't want to eat
-If you feel in your gut that something is wrong.

If none of the above are happening then I would keep an eye on things. Sometimes cats can have significant swelling on their spay incision that goes down after a week or so.

I hope things work out ok!

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (28300 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15971 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (12101 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (11928 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (12266 views)

14 year old dog with diarrhea and weight loss I have 14 year old pomeranian. for the past 1 month, he is suffering from diarrhoea,... (17875 views)

Best cloth bedding for guinea pigs. I wanted to make a new bed for my guinea pig's house (her "nest"). Are there any... (8434 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (7958 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (8645 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (12112 views)