Infected spay incision?

Breed: tortoiseshell
Dear Dr.Marie,

My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps well. Seemingly she is recovering properly.

But I'm concerned about her incision. Do you think it is about to open or is getting infected? I am sending the photo to photos@askavetquestion.com

My concern is the red part on the top of the wound. Has the stitches come loose partially, or is the redness caused by an infection?

Do I have to take her to vet immediately?

Please advise me.

Thank you,

Yuko

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry I could not answer it sooner than I did.

Here is the photo you sent: infected spay incision

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing Twiggy. From looking at the photo, my answer could go either way.

How is Twiggy acting? If she is paying no attention at all to her incision and if the redness and swelling is not getting worse then I think it is ok to watch this for a few days.

However, here are some criteria that would make me want to have her seen:

-If she is licking at it more than a couple of times a day.
-If there is any yellow fluid leaking out.
-If you can see an obvious hole. (Don't worry if you can...there are three layers of stitches and the vet likely won't have to redo any surgery, but they may want to put her on antibiotics.)
-If she doesn't want to eat
-If you feel in your gut that something is wrong.

If none of the above are happening then I would keep an eye on things. Sometimes cats can have significant swelling on their spay incision that goes down after a week or so.

I hope things work out ok!

Very sick dog. My dog can't poop and won't eat. He also has puss-like infection coming from his... (11538 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (12504 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (12372 views)

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (10621 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (21060 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (9634 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (12041 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (18838 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (64019 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (14472 views)