Infected spay incision?

Breed: tortoiseshell
Dear Dr.Marie,

My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps well. Seemingly she is recovering properly.

But I'm concerned about her incision. Do you think it is about to open or is getting infected? I am sending the photo to photos@askavetquestion.com

My concern is the red part on the top of the wound. Has the stitches come loose partially, or is the redness caused by an infection?

Do I have to take her to vet immediately?

Please advise me.

Thank you,

Yuko

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry I could not answer it sooner than I did.

Here is the photo you sent: infected spay incision

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing Twiggy. From looking at the photo, my answer could go either way.

How is Twiggy acting? If she is paying no attention at all to her incision and if the redness and swelling is not getting worse then I think it is ok to watch this for a few days.

However, here are some criteria that would make me want to have her seen:

-If she is licking at it more than a couple of times a day.
-If there is any yellow fluid leaking out.
-If you can see an obvious hole. (Don't worry if you can...there are three layers of stitches and the vet likely won't have to redo any surgery, but they may want to put her on antibiotics.)
-If she doesn't want to eat
-If you feel in your gut that something is wrong.

If none of the above are happening then I would keep an eye on things. Sometimes cats can have significant swelling on their spay incision that goes down after a week or so.

I hope things work out ok!

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (12786 views)

Sick after neuter. On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and... (17369 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (12559 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (10694 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (20173 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (11162 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (11221 views)

Rare form hepatitis. I got Sadie in January this year. She is a rescue. She's been sick since February.... (5500 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (25455 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (18120 views)