Infected spay incision?

Breed: tortoiseshell
Dear Dr.Marie,

My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps well. Seemingly she is recovering properly.

But I'm concerned about her incision. Do you think it is about to open or is getting infected? I am sending the photo to photos@askavetquestion.com

My concern is the red part on the top of the wound. Has the stitches come loose partially, or is the redness caused by an infection?

Do I have to take her to vet immediately?

Please advise me.

Thank you,

Yuko

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry I could not answer it sooner than I did.

Here is the photo you sent: infected spay incision

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing Twiggy. From looking at the photo, my answer could go either way.

How is Twiggy acting? If she is paying no attention at all to her incision and if the redness and swelling is not getting worse then I think it is ok to watch this for a few days.

However, here are some criteria that would make me want to have her seen:

-If she is licking at it more than a couple of times a day.
-If there is any yellow fluid leaking out.
-If you can see an obvious hole. (Don't worry if you can...there are three layers of stitches and the vet likely won't have to redo any surgery, but they may want to put her on antibiotics.)
-If she doesn't want to eat
-If you feel in your gut that something is wrong.

If none of the above are happening then I would keep an eye on things. Sometimes cats can have significant swelling on their spay incision that goes down after a week or so.

I hope things work out ok!

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (11574 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (24689 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (91542 views)

Did kitten have heatstroke. the other day i tried to rescue a stray kitten who was suffering from heat stroke,... (12884 views)

Eye infection in feral cat I have a feral colony. A few of them had URI symptoms which were quite bad and... (11270 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (17841 views)

Not eating and tired cat. My kitty is a very playful cat. Runs, jumps and cuddles all day long. He is looking... (55478 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (11985 views)

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (20098 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (49048 views)