dog rigid then drowsy

Breed: blue roan spaniel (m
I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then became rigid and his face tilted and hung. shook him hard and tried to make him stand..He opened his eyes but they appeared drowsy. It took him a minute or two to recover and then I gave him high calorie biscuits. He is a vegetarian and hates eggs even. He likes yogurt and he weighs 15 kgs and is 7 years old.
Do I need to get him checked up? I hope it is not fatal

Sorry to hear that Bozo may be having a problem.

What you have described may have been a seizure. However, it could also be that he fell asleep and took a minute to wake up.

If it was a seizure then it is not likely to have caused him harm. However, if he is having more seizures then a vet visit is a good idea to see if we can determine the cause.

Another possibility is if he had a problem with his heart. An irregular heart rhythm can cause something called "syncope" which can cause episodes like fainting.

As long as he is eating well and bright and happy then I don't think you need a vet visit. But if he has more episodes then it is a good idea.

As an additional comment, I do have some concern with the fact that you are not feeding your dog meat. Dogs are not meant to be vegetarian...they are carnivores and really do need meat protein. I would highly suggest a regular dog food for him.

I hope he is ok!

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (8662 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7322 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (4832 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (4995 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (43062 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (6788 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (28356 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (24923 views)

Why did my dog die? I had a 6 yr old lab mix. November 2010 he started becoming lethargic, limping... (7073 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (6315 views)