dog rigid then drowsy

Breed: blue roan spaniel (m
I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then became rigid and his face tilted and hung. shook him hard and tried to make him stand..He opened his eyes but they appeared drowsy. It took him a minute or two to recover and then I gave him high calorie biscuits. He is a vegetarian and hates eggs even. He likes yogurt and he weighs 15 kgs and is 7 years old.
Do I need to get him checked up? I hope it is not fatal

Sorry to hear that Bozo may be having a problem.

What you have described may have been a seizure. However, it could also be that he fell asleep and took a minute to wake up.

If it was a seizure then it is not likely to have caused him harm. However, if he is having more seizures then a vet visit is a good idea to see if we can determine the cause.

Another possibility is if he had a problem with his heart. An irregular heart rhythm can cause something called "syncope" which can cause episodes like fainting.

As long as he is eating well and bright and happy then I don't think you need a vet visit. But if he has more episodes then it is a good idea.

As an additional comment, I do have some concern with the fact that you are not feeding your dog meat. Dogs are not meant to be vegetarian...they are carnivores and really do need meat protein. I would highly suggest a regular dog food for him.

I hope he is ok!

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (5653 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (9898 views)

Dog pulling hair out of wrist. Well, Looks like there was an infection and he's on zeniquin 100 for 14d now.... (23204 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (10150 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (21857 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (7228 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (8666 views)

Lump on dog's neck. Hi Dr Marie We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a... (21770 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (147140 views)

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (6551 views)