dog rigid then drowsy

Breed: blue roan spaniel (m
I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then became rigid and his face tilted and hung. shook him hard and tried to make him stand..He opened his eyes but they appeared drowsy. It took him a minute or two to recover and then I gave him high calorie biscuits. He is a vegetarian and hates eggs even. He likes yogurt and he weighs 15 kgs and is 7 years old.
Do I need to get him checked up? I hope it is not fatal

Sorry to hear that Bozo may be having a problem.

What you have described may have been a seizure. However, it could also be that he fell asleep and took a minute to wake up.

If it was a seizure then it is not likely to have caused him harm. However, if he is having more seizures then a vet visit is a good idea to see if we can determine the cause.

Another possibility is if he had a problem with his heart. An irregular heart rhythm can cause something called "syncope" which can cause episodes like fainting.

As long as he is eating well and bright and happy then I don't think you need a vet visit. But if he has more episodes then it is a good idea.

As an additional comment, I do have some concern with the fact that you are not feeding your dog meat. Dogs are not meant to be vegetarian...they are carnivores and really do need meat protein. I would highly suggest a regular dog food for him.

I hope he is ok!

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (9046 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (5431 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (137060 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11620 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (11249 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8546 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (7954 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (23618 views)

Sore neck Hi Dr. Marie, You've been helpful in the past, so I thought I'd ask you another... (4768 views)

Dog can't pee after accident. brandy got ran over about 4 days ago,,, she is walking with a lamp,,, eating and... (15029 views)