dog rigid then drowsy

Breed: blue roan spaniel (m
I was rubbing my dog's tummy while he was lying on his back like always. He then became rigid and his face tilted and hung. shook him hard and tried to make him stand..He opened his eyes but they appeared drowsy. It took him a minute or two to recover and then I gave him high calorie biscuits. He is a vegetarian and hates eggs even. He likes yogurt and he weighs 15 kgs and is 7 years old.
Do I need to get him checked up? I hope it is not fatal

Sorry to hear that Bozo may be having a problem.

What you have described may have been a seizure. However, it could also be that he fell asleep and took a minute to wake up.

If it was a seizure then it is not likely to have caused him harm. However, if he is having more seizures then a vet visit is a good idea to see if we can determine the cause.

Another possibility is if he had a problem with his heart. An irregular heart rhythm can cause something called "syncope" which can cause episodes like fainting.

As long as he is eating well and bright and happy then I don't think you need a vet visit. But if he has more episodes then it is a good idea.

As an additional comment, I do have some concern with the fact that you are not feeding your dog meat. Dogs are not meant to be vegetarian...they are carnivores and really do need meat protein. I would highly suggest a regular dog food for him.

I hope he is ok!

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (11335 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (23318 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (11941 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (5782 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (37295 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (10961 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (7823 views)

Is my dog pregnant? We think my dog is pregnant.She keeps trying to make little areas for herself and... (5390 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (6381 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (15419 views)