Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs?

Breed: Pug
Hello Dr. Marie,

I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with dogs. However, I'm confused about naturally occurring xylitol.

I've read that xylitol is present in several foods and veggies, including strawberries. Yet, per your list and others, strawberries are considered safe for dogs.

Would you mind clarifying this for me? Is naturally occurring xylitol different than the xylitol used in sweetening gum, etc...? My dog loves strawberries, but I want to make sure this is a healthy choice for him.

Thanks so much!
~Piper

Interesting. I was not aware that there was xylitol in fruit. So, I did some research for you.

There are some fruits that naturally contain xylitol but the amount of xylitol in the fruit is miniscule. This study says that raspberries are one of the fruits with the highest amount of xylitol. They contain 400 ug (micograms) of xylitol per gram of raspberry. So, let's say a dog ate 1 cup of raspberries. 1 cup of raspberries is about 123 grams of raspberries. So, this would equate to 0.05 g of xylitol.

(To do this math I converted 400 ug to g which is 0.0004 g. Then, I multiplied 0.0004 x 123 to get 0.05 g.)

So, how much xylitol is toxic to dogs? Xylitol can cause low blood sugar when given at a dose of 0.2-0.4g/kg. So, let's say you have a 10kg (22 lb) dog. This means that 2-4 g of xylitol could cause low blood sugar.

Low blood sugar at this level is not likely to be fatal. Xylitol can cause severe liver damage (and death) at a dose of 1.6-2g/kg. So, that means that a 10kg dog would have to eat a minimum of 16g of xylitol to be fatal.

So, let's put this all in context. One piece of xylitol gum contains 1-2g of xylitol per piece. In our 10kg dog, as 2-4 grams could cause low blood sugar, this means that two pieces of gum could cause low blood sugar. As the fatal dose of xylitol for this dog is 16 g, then possibly 8 pieces could be fatal.

Now, let's go back to the raspberries. There are 0.05 g of xylitol in 1 cup of raspberries. This means that in order to eat enough raspberries to cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) a 10kg dog would have to eat 4-6 cups of raspberries. To eat enough rasberries to be fatal, that same dog would have to eat at least 32 cups of raspberries!

So, it's all about dosage. Many dog toothpastes contain xylitol and I often get asked why such a toxic chemical would be in a dog toothpaste. It is because the amount is tiny as compared to the toxic dose.

Thanks for such an interesting question!

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (6865 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (6320 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (102502 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (8972 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (14562 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (25094 views)

Morning after pill for dogs? Is there a "morning after pill" for dogs? ... (29423 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (21470 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (8827 views)

Cat losing weight. I have had my 10 year-old cat on Tapazole for about a year, but in the past couple... (9733 views)