Increased appetite and hair loss.

Breed: Burmese
My Burmese cat is losing her hair all over and I am concerned about how hungry she seems to be. For the past week or so, she has not been using the litter box as frequently. She is at least 14 years old. Is this normal in older cats of this breed or should I be concerned?

This definitely doesn't sound like something normal. An increase in appetite and hair loss could be due to hyperthyroidism. This is a condition that is quite easy to treat, usually.

There are other possibilities. It's hard to connect an increase in appetite and hair loss, but this is definitely something where I would suggest a vet visit as soon as possible.

Hope everything is ok!

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (5253 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (2735 views)

Not putting weight on leg. Our cat jumped off the fridge and did something to his back leg. He limps now. When... (8287 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (45172 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (7580 views)

Peeing in house. I have a 10 year old female cat that has never consistently used the litter box in... (3128 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (8858 views)

Hyperaldosteronism? My niece's 12 yr old cat vomits about every 6 days, gets dehydrated, listless and... (2684 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (3208 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (8230 views)