Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Is this a mouth tumor?

Species: Cat
Breed: British Black Shorth
Age: 11-15 years
Hi,
Our cat has been doing poorly lately.
She went for about a month eating once or twice a day. We took her to a vet when she started drooling and had difficulty urinating (urge to urinate but no urine) and she gave her antibiotics for the bleeding gums and kept her on a drip for four days. She lost 1.5 kilos.
After we brought her home it was clear that she didnt have pain while eating, she was urinating normally and her coat improved in its lustre. However she still eats very poorly.
Observing her for the last week, we noticed that whenever she eats, she swallows her food a couple of times and then gags/gapes.
We fed her some milk a few hours ago and she started drooling a lot of blood shortly after.
We suspect it is an ulcer that may have burst and we intend to take her to our vet in the morning but we're not sure what to do in the short term.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Sharon


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sweety is not doing well.

I'm guessing that this is not an ulcer. If there is a stomach ulcer, the blood in the stomach gets partly digested and actually ends up looking like black coffee grounds. If you are seeing blood then this is likely an issue in the mouth or esophagus.

One possibility is if there is a dental infection present. It can sometimes be hard to diagnose this, but if it has gotten to the point where there is blood then your vet should be able to tell.

However, my bigger concern would be for the possibility of a tumor in the mouth. A bleeding mouth with difficulty swallowing can definitely be a sign of some sort of a tumor. Unfortunately, if this is what it is, mouth tumors are usually very bad news in a cat.

At this point, there is not a whole lot that you can do at home. I would avoid milk as milk can actually cause some intestinal upset for cats. It's not a bad idea to give some canned food and perhaps water it down a little bit to make it easier to swallow. Or, if you don't want to change her food, you can add warm water to her hard food, let it sit for about 20 minutes, and then add more warm water and stir to make a soup.

There really isn't any over the counter medication that I can suggest.

I really do hope that this is a dental infection of some sort. Please update me once you have seen the vet.

Dr. Marie.



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

Hi,
Took her to our vet.
Her upper right molar was caked with blood and seems to have been the source of the blood. Our vet says she has to clean her teeth and is concerned it might ever be a growth in that area, but first, she needs to put her under in order to take a better look at it but since she's dehydrated/malnourished, she needs to put her on a drip for a few days and get her better first.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thank you for the update. I do hope that it is an infection and not anything worse. I hope everything goes ok.

Dr. Marie.



Customer reply:

Hi,
As it turns out she had two tumours on both sides of her mouth at the molars one of which burst and was the source of the bleeding. She died early this morning. Thought I'd let you know.
-Sharon


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh dear. That was what I feared. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (8413 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (15383 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (27394 views)

Puppy with hard lump on throat my dog has a hard lump on the side of his throat what could it be it is hard does... (14173 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (3574 views)

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (12376 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (8889 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (5575 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (5385 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (10144 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.