Is this a mouth tumor?

Breed: British Black Shorth
Hi,
Our cat has been doing poorly lately.
She went for about a month eating once or twice a day. We took her to a vet when she started drooling and had difficulty urinating (urge to urinate but no urine) and she gave her antibiotics for the bleeding gums and kept her on a drip for four days. She lost 1.5 kilos.
After we brought her home it was clear that she didnt have pain while eating, she was urinating normally and her coat improved in its lustre. However she still eats very poorly.
Observing her for the last week, we noticed that whenever she eats, she swallows her food a couple of times and then gags/gapes.
We fed her some milk a few hours ago and she started drooling a lot of blood shortly after.
We suspect it is an ulcer that may have burst and we intend to take her to our vet in the morning but we're not sure what to do in the short term.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Sharon

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sweety is not doing well.

I'm guessing that this is not an ulcer. If there is a stomach ulcer, the blood in the stomach gets partly digested and actually ends up looking like black coffee grounds. If you are seeing blood then this is likely an issue in the mouth or esophagus.

One possibility is if there is a dental infection present. It can sometimes be hard to diagnose this, but if it has gotten to the point where there is blood then your vet should be able to tell.

However, my bigger concern would be for the possibility of a tumor in the mouth. A bleeding mouth with difficulty swallowing can definitely be a sign of some sort of a tumor. Unfortunately, if this is what it is, mouth tumors are usually very bad news in a cat.

At this point, there is not a whole lot that you can do at home. I would avoid milk as milk can actually cause some intestinal upset for cats. It's not a bad idea to give some canned food and perhaps water it down a little bit to make it easier to swallow. Or, if you don't want to change her food, you can add warm water to her hard food, let it sit for about 20 minutes, and then add more warm water and stir to make a soup.

There really isn't any over the counter medication that I can suggest.

I really do hope that this is a dental infection of some sort. Please update me once you have seen the vet.

Hi,
Took her to our vet.
Her upper right molar was caked with blood and seems to have been the source of the blood. Our vet says she has to clean her teeth and is concerned it might ever be a growth in that area, but first, she needs to put her under in order to take a better look at it but since she's dehydrated/malnourished, she needs to put her on a drip for a few days and get her better first.

Thank you for the update. I do hope that it is an infection and not anything worse. I hope everything goes ok.

Hi,
As it turns out she had two tumours on both sides of her mouth at the molars one of which burst and was the source of the bleeding. She died early this morning. Thought I'd let you know.
-Sharon

Oh dear. That was what I feared. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (10045 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (23823 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (35373 views)

Licking feet. My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them... (6989 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (8347 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (8590 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (14926 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (9488 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (9517 views)

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (8898 views)