Dog waking every 2 hours.

Breed: Maltese
Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants water; he wakes every hour. After drinking water 2 times, he has to go out to relieve himself.

Our sleep is broken and so is his. We are all sleepy and cranky all day. Is there a children's medicine we can give him to help him breath better at night? He weighs 10 lbs.

Help!

Sorry to hear that Tribble is having problems!

This is an interesting situation. I am wondering if the problem is really that he has a dry mouth or if there is something else going on. In all of my years of practice I have never heard of a dog having to get up every hour because of a dry mouth.

I'm wondering instead if there is something going on that is causing Tribble to be extra thirsty and also have to urinate more. There are a number of things that can cause this including diabetes, kidney disease (either from a bacterial infection or toxin), liver disease and more.

A dog should not have to go outside every 2 hours, so this is not normal.

The other possibility is that this has become a learned behavior. So, he has trained himself to get up every two hours. He may be asking to go out simply because he wakes up and he is lonely and wants you to communicate with him.

The first thing I would recommend is to have your vet take a look at him and do some tests (likely urine tests) to make sure there is no medical reason for him to have to go out so often. Your vet can also check to see if there is excessive nasal congestion. If there is an infection or other reason for him to be having problems they can address this, but really I don't think this is the issue. (Also, there isn't an over the counter decongestant that I can recommend.)

If this is believed to be a behavioral problem then what I would suggest is this:

Let's say you go to bed at 10pm and Tribble wakes you up at 12 am. Don't get up to let him out until 12:30. (If he goes back to sleep then that is great). Otherwise, let him out at 12:30. Then, when he wakes up again wait another 30 minutes before you let him out. This will help his sleep cycle to be reset. The next night he should go 2.5 hours between wanting to go out, so we can try to push it to 3. Eventually he should get through the night.

The other option is to ask your vet for some sedative to give him for a few nights to help him to relearn to sleep through the night. Unfortunately again, there is no over the counter medication that I can recommend.

I hope this helps!

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (8773 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (17656 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (46542 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (10096 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (8788 views)

Facial lymph nodes and teething. Hi Dr. Marie, After a lot of investigating w/ my own regular vet (very... (11386 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (8220 views)

Vomiting diabetic cat. Hello Dr. We have a 17yr old male diabetic cat who throws up a nasty brown liquid... (31973 views)

1 week old puppy checkup can you take a 1 week old puppy to the vet to get it checked to make sure its ok and... (7399 views)

Diarrhea question. My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a... (8180 views)