Why did 15 year old dog die?

Breed: Cocker spaniel, spri
Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother is really upset because she feels guilty that we didnt take her to the vet sooner. She started throwing up on sunday and it was dark brown colour. The next day she harldy ate and at night she threw up again. For the next couple days she was throwing up brownish redish which we were thinking it was blood. We made an apt on wed for thursday but on thursday morning she passed away. She was breathing really heavy and hardly ate anything, her eyes and nose stared haveing green snot coming out of them before she died and was not able to walk near the end. In 2004 she started having leg problems and so we took her to a specalist. In 2007, her back end gave out and she could no longer use her back legs. We took her to the vet and talked to some people and we ended up putting her on steriods which worked and she was able to walk and she was on them for 3 years. She had lots of lumps on her body which could have been cancer or something else the vet told us. I know this may be confusing but do you think this was just apart of aging? If we took her to the vet do you think there would be something that could have been considering her age and past? Please let me know. Thank you.

Oh, I am sorry to hear of the loss of Tia.

15 is a ripe old age for any dog.

While I can't say for sure why she died, it is extremely likely that there was something related to her age such as either kidney failure, liver failure, or cancer. These are all things for which we have no cure.

If you had gone to the vet, they would have done a physical exam and some tests that would probably give you a reason as to why she was so sick. However, the chances that there would be something there that you could have repaired are small.

It sounds like she had a great life and you did a lot for her. I am so sorry for your loss.

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (6245 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (57063 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (14972 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (26683 views)

Ovarian remnant Hi, We have a spayed cat that has been showing signs of being on heat on and off... (9598 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (9580 views)

Dog ate Sentinel Shug got into the Sentinel package...pills are missing...what is the... (14978 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9276 views)

Shaking and tucking tail. 3 days ago my dog, who was being taken on a walk in the morning, suddenly started... (182417 views)

When can my dog see other dogs? How long before my dog can be around people that own dogs? He gets his first set of... (7454 views)