Why did 15 year old dog die?

Breed: Cocker spaniel, spri
Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother is really upset because she feels guilty that we didnt take her to the vet sooner. She started throwing up on sunday and it was dark brown colour. The next day she harldy ate and at night she threw up again. For the next couple days she was throwing up brownish redish which we were thinking it was blood. We made an apt on wed for thursday but on thursday morning she passed away. She was breathing really heavy and hardly ate anything, her eyes and nose stared haveing green snot coming out of them before she died and was not able to walk near the end. In 2004 she started having leg problems and so we took her to a specalist. In 2007, her back end gave out and she could no longer use her back legs. We took her to the vet and talked to some people and we ended up putting her on steriods which worked and she was able to walk and she was on them for 3 years. She had lots of lumps on her body which could have been cancer or something else the vet told us. I know this may be confusing but do you think this was just apart of aging? If we took her to the vet do you think there would be something that could have been considering her age and past? Please let me know. Thank you.

Oh, I am sorry to hear of the loss of Tia.

15 is a ripe old age for any dog.

While I can't say for sure why she died, it is extremely likely that there was something related to her age such as either kidney failure, liver failure, or cancer. These are all things for which we have no cure.

If you had gone to the vet, they would have done a physical exam and some tests that would probably give you a reason as to why she was so sick. However, the chances that there would be something there that you could have repaired are small.

It sounds like she had a great life and you did a lot for her. I am so sorry for your loss.

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (14274 views)

Cat suddenly bites or scratches. Hi there....i have a beautiful BIG moggy who is a 'lovecat' - very affectionate -... (17324 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (25178 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (7386 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (26204 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (14818 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (22841 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (12473 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (29240 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (7540 views)