Why did 15 year old dog die?

Breed: Cocker spaniel, spri
Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother is really upset because she feels guilty that we didnt take her to the vet sooner. She started throwing up on sunday and it was dark brown colour. The next day she harldy ate and at night she threw up again. For the next couple days she was throwing up brownish redish which we were thinking it was blood. We made an apt on wed for thursday but on thursday morning she passed away. She was breathing really heavy and hardly ate anything, her eyes and nose stared haveing green snot coming out of them before she died and was not able to walk near the end. In 2004 she started having leg problems and so we took her to a specalist. In 2007, her back end gave out and she could no longer use her back legs. We took her to the vet and talked to some people and we ended up putting her on steriods which worked and she was able to walk and she was on them for 3 years. She had lots of lumps on her body which could have been cancer or something else the vet told us. I know this may be confusing but do you think this was just apart of aging? If we took her to the vet do you think there would be something that could have been considering her age and past? Please let me know. Thank you.

Oh, I am sorry to hear of the loss of Tia.

15 is a ripe old age for any dog.

While I can't say for sure why she died, it is extremely likely that there was something related to her age such as either kidney failure, liver failure, or cancer. These are all things for which we have no cure.

If you had gone to the vet, they would have done a physical exam and some tests that would probably give you a reason as to why she was so sick. However, the chances that there would be something there that you could have repaired are small.

It sounds like she had a great life and you did a lot for her. I am so sorry for your loss.

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (13255 views)

Sore neck after blood draw. This afternoon, I took my dog for routine labwork and the tech took it from his... (14740 views)

Possible chyletiella. My eleven week old pup is cover from nose to tail in what looks like white dandruff.... (5485 views)

Dog limping. My dog just started having pain today. We took him on a particularly long walk... (10071 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (12867 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (19259 views)

Questions about an older dog. I have a female Shih Tzu, turning 5 this coming July. To let you understand the... (19750 views)

Paying for megacolon surgery. hello my cat has mega-colon my question is do you know of any place that might be... (8189 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (32248 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (15674 views)