Why did 15 year old dog die?

Breed: Cocker spaniel, spri
Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother is really upset because she feels guilty that we didnt take her to the vet sooner. She started throwing up on sunday and it was dark brown colour. The next day she harldy ate and at night she threw up again. For the next couple days she was throwing up brownish redish which we were thinking it was blood. We made an apt on wed for thursday but on thursday morning she passed away. She was breathing really heavy and hardly ate anything, her eyes and nose stared haveing green snot coming out of them before she died and was not able to walk near the end. In 2004 she started having leg problems and so we took her to a specalist. In 2007, her back end gave out and she could no longer use her back legs. We took her to the vet and talked to some people and we ended up putting her on steriods which worked and she was able to walk and she was on them for 3 years. She had lots of lumps on her body which could have been cancer or something else the vet told us. I know this may be confusing but do you think this was just apart of aging? If we took her to the vet do you think there would be something that could have been considering her age and past? Please let me know. Thank you.

Oh, I am sorry to hear of the loss of Tia.

15 is a ripe old age for any dog.

While I can't say for sure why she died, it is extremely likely that there was something related to her age such as either kidney failure, liver failure, or cancer. These are all things for which we have no cure.

If you had gone to the vet, they would have done a physical exam and some tests that would probably give you a reason as to why she was so sick. However, the chances that there would be something there that you could have repaired are small.

It sounds like she had a great life and you did a lot for her. I am so sorry for your loss.

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (12648 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (12219 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (9210 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (12424 views)

Swollen eye and face. Hello, My 12.5 years old dog, Siberian husky, (in very good condition... (11245 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19604 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (8378 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (39399 views)

Vomiting yorkie. Abby is 15 months old. She weighs 2.5-3.0 lbs. She is spayed. My question is that... (21444 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (6293 views)