How much exercise for a puppy?

Breed: golden
Hi Dr Marie,

I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d resolved his diahrea and all of those objects he swallowed eventially passed. You'd be amazed what a puppy can swallow.

Max is now 3.5 months old and 27 lbs.

Three weeks ago I took him walking downtown for atleast an hour. This past weekend we went walking for a good 45 minutes. Aside from sleeping well that night he exhibited absolutely no signs of discomfort that day or the next.

The reason for my email is I was recently told by a breeder you should never take a puppy his age on a walk longer than 30 minutes.

It was just those two walks, but needless to say we won't do that again until he's atleast 1.5 yrs old.

But I'm concerned now that I may have done irreperable harm to his bones or joints that may not show up until later.

Also, what is a safe number of stairs/day for him to walk?

Thanks again.

Jay

Hi Jay! I'm so glad to hear that Max is feeling better!

I have no problem with Max going for long walks. The reason why some people say to limit exercise is that there is fear that we could cause damage to growth plates in growing dogs. However, my belief is that the only dogs that we would see problems in are dogs that already have a joint problem. I have never, in 12 years of practice treated a dog that was injured because of too much exercise as a puppy. Realistically if too much exercise could damage joints then we would put limits on how much exercise children could do.

So I would say go ahead and do the long walks. If Max is TOTALLY exhausted or really sore the next day then you may want to shorten the walks a little bit.

Sounds like you guys are having fun!

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (34784 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (29945 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (15915 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (14204 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (6835 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (60989 views)

Is dog's paw broken? Chandler jumped out the car window today and hurt his back paw. He won't put any... (13484 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (15577 views)

Parvo and hookworms. Last Monday, I got this puppy, a miniature doxen. Well, the first few days he was a... (25484 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (8395 views)