How much exercise for a puppy?

Breed: golden
Hi Dr Marie,

I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d resolved his diahrea and all of those objects he swallowed eventially passed. You'd be amazed what a puppy can swallow.

Max is now 3.5 months old and 27 lbs.

Three weeks ago I took him walking downtown for atleast an hour. This past weekend we went walking for a good 45 minutes. Aside from sleeping well that night he exhibited absolutely no signs of discomfort that day or the next.

The reason for my email is I was recently told by a breeder you should never take a puppy his age on a walk longer than 30 minutes.

It was just those two walks, but needless to say we won't do that again until he's atleast 1.5 yrs old.

But I'm concerned now that I may have done irreperable harm to his bones or joints that may not show up until later.

Also, what is a safe number of stairs/day for him to walk?

Thanks again.

Jay

Hi Jay! I'm so glad to hear that Max is feeling better!

I have no problem with Max going for long walks. The reason why some people say to limit exercise is that there is fear that we could cause damage to growth plates in growing dogs. However, my belief is that the only dogs that we would see problems in are dogs that already have a joint problem. I have never, in 12 years of practice treated a dog that was injured because of too much exercise as a puppy. Realistically if too much exercise could damage joints then we would put limits on how much exercise children could do.

So I would say go ahead and do the long walks. If Max is TOTALLY exhausted or really sore the next day then you may want to shorten the walks a little bit.

Sounds like you guys are having fun!

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (15739 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (16961 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (11964 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (10923 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (11930 views)

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (32592 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (12003 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (10604 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (13936 views)

Dog's penis out of sheath. My babys weenie is all dry and irritated and NEVER goes back in. I went to a vet and... (25777 views)