How much exercise for a puppy?

Breed: golden
Hi Dr Marie,

I'm pleased to report Max is doing well.. changing from Iams to p/d resolved his diahrea and all of those objects he swallowed eventially passed. You'd be amazed what a puppy can swallow.

Max is now 3.5 months old and 27 lbs.

Three weeks ago I took him walking downtown for atleast an hour. This past weekend we went walking for a good 45 minutes. Aside from sleeping well that night he exhibited absolutely no signs of discomfort that day or the next.

The reason for my email is I was recently told by a breeder you should never take a puppy his age on a walk longer than 30 minutes.

It was just those two walks, but needless to say we won't do that again until he's atleast 1.5 yrs old.

But I'm concerned now that I may have done irreperable harm to his bones or joints that may not show up until later.

Also, what is a safe number of stairs/day for him to walk?

Thanks again.

Jay

Hi Jay! I'm so glad to hear that Max is feeling better!

I have no problem with Max going for long walks. The reason why some people say to limit exercise is that there is fear that we could cause damage to growth plates in growing dogs. However, my belief is that the only dogs that we would see problems in are dogs that already have a joint problem. I have never, in 12 years of practice treated a dog that was injured because of too much exercise as a puppy. Realistically if too much exercise could damage joints then we would put limits on how much exercise children could do.

So I would say go ahead and do the long walks. If Max is TOTALLY exhausted or really sore the next day then you may want to shorten the walks a little bit.

Sounds like you guys are having fun!

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (7243 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (93165 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (9215 views)

Sudden death. My 3-yr old robust, healthy male house cat suddenly dropped dead in the middle of... (21384 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (19687 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (9693 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (9379 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (11118 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (14954 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (12380 views)