Itchy on back.

Breed: Boston terrier
max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to his vet. He has a skin problem on lower back. It seem to itch and he has scratched off his hair from his but up about 6 inches. He's had steroids and cortizone and lotions etc my vet is stumped........do you have any idea? He just seems so uncomfortable.
Mark

These are always frustrating problems, especially if your vet is stumped!

It's hard for me to add much without seeing Max, but I'll see if I can help out at all.

The first thing I would do if this were my case is to put him on a good prescription strength flea product even if I don't see fleas there. Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one bite will set them off with severe itchiness, especially in the area you have described.

I would probably also treat him with antibiotics for 4-8 weeks in case of infection.

If steroids have made no difference then I would consider doing a skin scraping to look for mange. Sarcoptic mange often will not respond to steroids and still be itchy.

If these things are not working then the next step is to have your vet take a biopsy of the area. It may seem a little pricey, but it will be the most accurate way to figure out what is going on.

Hope this helps!

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (8144 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (25408 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (17251 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (17910 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (12596 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (18966 views)

Dog ate M&M's. My 20 pound dachsund just ate a pack of M&M chocolate!!! Will he die? PLEASE... (53726 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (6556 views)

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (6816 views)

Cortisone vs. anti-inflammatory. What is more harmful to the liver, anti-inflammatory medication or Cortisone... (9852 views)