Golden with itchy abdomen.

Breed: Golden retriever
Hello
My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside of legs and stomach,he is driving us all mad poor dog !! he does not have a rash or spots,he does have a red tinge to his skin and some hair has gone from white to light brown,the vet says it is not fleas maybe excema but not sure,we wash him with a coal tar shampoo regularly which seems to help for a short while,also use tea tree oil,could it be his dog biscuits which I did change this year?the only other change to his life is a rescued dog-we have had her this year and she is a bit feisty at times,but he does get on well with her.could it be stress? as he is very laid back but gets jealous of her at times.
Any advice would be appreciated as it is a worry and so uncomfortable for him,its difficult to put any creams on as he will just lick them off,he has not had this problem before.
Thank you
Barbara

Sorry to hear that Henri is having problems with his skin. It sounds very frustrating for you!

Skin issues are often difficult to figure out. While I can't say for sure what is going on without seeing your dog, I'll give you some of my thoughts.

First of all, if Henri is licking this much then there has to be a medical reason for it.

The most common reason for a Golden Retriever to have an itchy abdomen is infection. However, usually we will see some scabs, pustules (like little pimples), or flaky areas.

The next most common reason is indeed fleas. I have had many cases where I could not see fleas, but eventually we figured out that fleas were the problem. Some dogs are so allergic to fleas that even one flea will set them off. They are often extremely hard to find. Sometimes we find flea dirt but not always. If this were my case, the first thing I would do is a prescription strength flea product.

Another possibility is a yeast infection. However, this usually causes very red, thickened, smelly skin.

Allergies can cause a dog to itch but usually the itchy areas will be the feet, ears and sometimes anus.

One other thing that can cause itchiness is sarcoptic mange which is a skin mite. This usually causes itchiness behind the elbows, hocks and edges of the ear.

So, nothing really fits your dog's situation exactly. When I have a case like this when we don't really know what is going on, then I usually give owners a couple of options on how to proceed. The first option would be to treat with a good flea product such as Revolution, Frontline, or Advantage. If this is due to fleas then the symptoms should clear up within a few days or maybe a week. If so, then I would repeat the flea treatment one and two months later.

The second option would be to be more aggressive and cover all of our bases. So, I would treat with a flea product, antibiotics, and some steroids which will help with the itch and will work if there are allergies. Then, after a few weeks of antibiotics I would stop them. And then, depending on how Henri is doing I would likely slowly wean off of the steroids.

If none of these things were working then I would probably suggest taking a biopsy of the skin to look for really unusual causes.

With all this being said, I would urge you to treat for fleas.

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (8363 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (10965 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (16930 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (35544 views)

Lumps all over body. Hello, I have a 6 year old italian grey hound. Before he was very very active and... (29434 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (13162 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (4022 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (8641 views)

URTI in cats. Hi I have got 2 cats, Xena 1,6 years and Nemo, a kitten 12 weeks. When the Nemo... (11681 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (7579 views)