Coughin Min Pin.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher -
My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach gurgles often, and she has frequent gas. Also, she has leaky eyes on occasion, which she's never had before, as well as coughing/gagging, which used to occur in the fall but has become more frequent. The coughing sounds deep and almost like she has phlegm. On occasions she will make a honking, deep, throaty snorting sound like someone before they cough up phlegm. She has a habit of licking things before she goes to sleep, me, herself, and my bedsheets...could this be one of the causes? She will also dig in her ears with a back paw and try to clean said paw of earwax afterwards. Diva is up-to-date on her shots except rabies, which she does not need until the 7th of July. Her diet currently consists of Kibbles N' Bits, but there are times where we buy an alternative. Besides this, she is happy, playful, and seemingly healthy. She is eating like she normally does and drinking water. She also seems to have no trouble going to the bathroom outside, and makes no indoor messes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like Diva has a number of things going on.

Some dogs can throw up bile in the mornings every now and then and I don't get too worried about it. If it is only happening every couple of months it's not likely to be anything serious.

The licking of things is probably a habit and a tough one to break at that. However, I have seen some dogs that lick at things because of dental disease. It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine her teeth.

Bad teeth could potentially be a cause of coughing if perhaps there was some infection in her mouth.

I'm wondering though if the coughing is actually something called a reverse sneeze. Here are some examples of reverse sneezing. If this is what it is then there is not a lot that you can do, but fortunately it is not usually something serious.

Another possible cause for coughing is a virus like kennel cough but this doesn't sound like what Diva has especially if the issue is just occasional.

Another cause for coughing is heart disease. There are several different kinds of heart disease that can affect dogs.

I would recommend having her examined. If she is due for vaccines soon then this is good timing. The vet will have a good listen to her heart and let you know if they are concerned. It's not a bad idea to video tape her coughing episodes so that you can show the vet as well as it is often hard to diagnose a coughing problem if the dog won't do it in the vet's office.

I hope that helps!

Did raw food cause death? Hi, Dr. Marie, My sweet Shiva, who has been with me since an 8-wk old pup in 2002,... (7217 views)

Painful dog. I have a small dog, under 20 pounds, that I rescued off the street in Mexico. I'm... (8054 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (4012 views)

Old cat with lump on paw. Our family cat is 13 to 15 years old. within the last two weeks she has lost her... (7106 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (10188 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (13900 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (37237 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (19199 views)

Vomiting Dog. I contacted you about Little White Dog on April 24. She had had an exploratory to... (18901 views)

Dog with balance issues. My dog broke her back molar tooth on a bone 2yrs ago, she did get a infection, but i... (9811 views)