Coughin Min Pin.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher -
My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach gurgles often, and she has frequent gas. Also, she has leaky eyes on occasion, which she's never had before, as well as coughing/gagging, which used to occur in the fall but has become more frequent. The coughing sounds deep and almost like she has phlegm. On occasions she will make a honking, deep, throaty snorting sound like someone before they cough up phlegm. She has a habit of licking things before she goes to sleep, me, herself, and my bedsheets...could this be one of the causes? She will also dig in her ears with a back paw and try to clean said paw of earwax afterwards. Diva is up-to-date on her shots except rabies, which she does not need until the 7th of July. Her diet currently consists of Kibbles N' Bits, but there are times where we buy an alternative. Besides this, she is happy, playful, and seemingly healthy. She is eating like she normally does and drinking water. She also seems to have no trouble going to the bathroom outside, and makes no indoor messes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like Diva has a number of things going on.

Some dogs can throw up bile in the mornings every now and then and I don't get too worried about it. If it is only happening every couple of months it's not likely to be anything serious.

The licking of things is probably a habit and a tough one to break at that. However, I have seen some dogs that lick at things because of dental disease. It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine her teeth.

Bad teeth could potentially be a cause of coughing if perhaps there was some infection in her mouth.

I'm wondering though if the coughing is actually something called a reverse sneeze. Here are some examples of reverse sneezing. If this is what it is then there is not a lot that you can do, but fortunately it is not usually something serious.

Another possible cause for coughing is a virus like kennel cough but this doesn't sound like what Diva has especially if the issue is just occasional.

Another cause for coughing is heart disease. There are several different kinds of heart disease that can affect dogs.

I would recommend having her examined. If she is due for vaccines soon then this is good timing. The vet will have a good listen to her heart and let you know if they are concerned. It's not a bad idea to video tape her coughing episodes so that you can show the vet as well as it is often hard to diagnose a coughing problem if the dog won't do it in the vet's office.

I hope that helps!

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (5853 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (16526 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (52538 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (11303 views)

Rodent ulcer treatment options. My cat is 9 yrs old has it 4th case of rodent ulcer on its mouth usely it takes... (14426 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (6928 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (15739 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (22936 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (13702 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (21988 views)