Coughin Min Pin.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher -
My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach gurgles often, and she has frequent gas. Also, she has leaky eyes on occasion, which she's never had before, as well as coughing/gagging, which used to occur in the fall but has become more frequent. The coughing sounds deep and almost like she has phlegm. On occasions she will make a honking, deep, throaty snorting sound like someone before they cough up phlegm. She has a habit of licking things before she goes to sleep, me, herself, and my bedsheets...could this be one of the causes? She will also dig in her ears with a back paw and try to clean said paw of earwax afterwards. Diva is up-to-date on her shots except rabies, which she does not need until the 7th of July. Her diet currently consists of Kibbles N' Bits, but there are times where we buy an alternative. Besides this, she is happy, playful, and seemingly healthy. She is eating like she normally does and drinking water. She also seems to have no trouble going to the bathroom outside, and makes no indoor messes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like Diva has a number of things going on.

Some dogs can throw up bile in the mornings every now and then and I don't get too worried about it. If it is only happening every couple of months it's not likely to be anything serious.

The licking of things is probably a habit and a tough one to break at that. However, I have seen some dogs that lick at things because of dental disease. It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine her teeth.

Bad teeth could potentially be a cause of coughing if perhaps there was some infection in her mouth.

I'm wondering though if the coughing is actually something called a reverse sneeze. Here are some examples of reverse sneezing. If this is what it is then there is not a lot that you can do, but fortunately it is not usually something serious.

Another possible cause for coughing is a virus like kennel cough but this doesn't sound like what Diva has especially if the issue is just occasional.

Another cause for coughing is heart disease. There are several different kinds of heart disease that can affect dogs.

I would recommend having her examined. If she is due for vaccines soon then this is good timing. The vet will have a good listen to her heart and let you know if they are concerned. It's not a bad idea to video tape her coughing episodes so that you can show the vet as well as it is often hard to diagnose a coughing problem if the dog won't do it in the vet's office.

I hope that helps!

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8513 views)

Short of breath and runny nose. My dog is shor of breath, has a runny nose, and is shaking please help me I do not... (7164 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (13356 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (14048 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (14172 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (13550 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (8086 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (16181 views)

Kittens nursing on cat's penis. i"m raising 4 abandoned kittens they are now eating food and I give them kitten... (15001 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (11563 views)