Coughin Min Pin.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher -
My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach gurgles often, and she has frequent gas. Also, she has leaky eyes on occasion, which she's never had before, as well as coughing/gagging, which used to occur in the fall but has become more frequent. The coughing sounds deep and almost like she has phlegm. On occasions she will make a honking, deep, throaty snorting sound like someone before they cough up phlegm. She has a habit of licking things before she goes to sleep, me, herself, and my bedsheets...could this be one of the causes? She will also dig in her ears with a back paw and try to clean said paw of earwax afterwards. Diva is up-to-date on her shots except rabies, which she does not need until the 7th of July. Her diet currently consists of Kibbles N' Bits, but there are times where we buy an alternative. Besides this, she is happy, playful, and seemingly healthy. She is eating like she normally does and drinking water. She also seems to have no trouble going to the bathroom outside, and makes no indoor messes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like Diva has a number of things going on.

Some dogs can throw up bile in the mornings every now and then and I don't get too worried about it. If it is only happening every couple of months it's not likely to be anything serious.

The licking of things is probably a habit and a tough one to break at that. However, I have seen some dogs that lick at things because of dental disease. It's not a bad idea to have your vet examine her teeth.

Bad teeth could potentially be a cause of coughing if perhaps there was some infection in her mouth.

I'm wondering though if the coughing is actually something called a reverse sneeze. Here are some examples of reverse sneezing. If this is what it is then there is not a lot that you can do, but fortunately it is not usually something serious.

Another possible cause for coughing is a virus like kennel cough but this doesn't sound like what Diva has especially if the issue is just occasional.

Another cause for coughing is heart disease. There are several different kinds of heart disease that can affect dogs.

I would recommend having her examined. If she is due for vaccines soon then this is good timing. The vet will have a good listen to her heart and let you know if they are concerned. It's not a bad idea to video tape her coughing episodes so that you can show the vet as well as it is often hard to diagnose a coughing problem if the dog won't do it in the vet's office.

I hope that helps!

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (16836 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (84340 views)

Do cats get pink eye? My cat had a "pink eye" this weekend while I was away, according to the pet sitter. ... (5571 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (6661 views)

Interview tips for veterinary technicians. I actually had a question not related to a pet, if that is okay. What advice would... (6496 views)

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (10057 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (14477 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (13199 views)

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (6568 views)

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (57799 views)