Dog scared of people.

Breed: sheltie
Hi
My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new people for a few months. today, she was outside in the yard and my mom came out the door, lily began to bark at her and walk away. she knows my mom well. Why did she do that? is this a fear stage? How long can they last? can they last a long time? she can't walk pass people on walks either, she gets very scared. what is wrong with my dog?

Sorry to hear that Lily is having problems with fear. This is unfortunately a very common problem, but there are things that can be done.

It's hard to say why this is just starting now. It is possible that there was a situation where she was frightened by someone. However, I have seen it happen often that a dog just starts to develop fear and we really don't have a reason for it.

Here are a few suggestions.

Consider enrolling Lily in an obedience school. Even if you have already taught her obedience commands, being in the school will help her to have fun and learn how to handle situations where there are new people (and new animals as well).

The other thing that we need to do is to give her lots of positive experiences with new people. The way we do this is by repetition. So, you will need to get friends to help you and repeatedly give her good experiences with new people.

Here's an example of what you can do. You can teach her that when someone comes through the door it is good. To do this, I would give her a word or a phrase that means good things. You can make one up. Such as "Hi Lily" or even a nonsense word like "BOOP". Then over and over again say "BOOP" and each time you say it give Lily a treat and praise. Do this enough times so that she associates BOOP with good things.

Then, you graduate to the next step. Leave Lily inside and then you walk in the door, immediately say BOOP and give her a treat. Do this over and over again so that Lily learns that when you come in the door, it is GOOOOOD! Then, keep doing this over and over, but one time, instead of you coming in the door, have your mom come in the door and say "BOOP" and immediately give her a treat. Then immediately you come in the door and give her a treat.

At some point as you are doing this have someone she doesn't know come in the door and give her a treat.

As she learns this game, you can start to do it in other places. So, you can ask friends to meet you on a walk and play the "BOOP" game.

Another thing I would highly suggest is to consider seeing a veterinary behavior specialist. These vets are really good at helping you determine why she is being afraid and give you more ideas on what you can do.

I do have some dogs that I have to put on medication for fear anxiety, but most can be trained with persistence and a willing owner.

I hope this helps!

what kind of medications can help her? can fear periods last a long time?

The medication I prescribe the most for this type of problem is one called Clomicalm but there are others. However, most vets will not just prescribe this on asking. They will usually help you try training first, or use training along with medication.

Fear periods can indeed last a long time. It's difficult if we don't know why she is fearful. So, this is why it is important that we deal with this properly as soon as we can!

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8440 views)

Can a dog transmit Hep C? Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My... (18671 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (4889 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (6915 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (7784 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (41465 views)

Boyfriend doesn't want to neuter dog. My boyfriend and I are arguing about whether to get our dog neutered. He is a pit... (9575 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (4913 views)

Vomiting and balance issues. my dog is losing her equalibreum and was throwing up yellow stomach bile.her poop is... (22043 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (4785 views)