Wounds not healing.

Breed: Tortiose shell tom
My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went out, he had been attacked by something...cut in ear, across nose, a few patches of fur missing...im guessing another cat. He developed a swollen spot on his neck that looked like it also had a small "cut" on it. Few days later, its leaking yellowish diacharge. I cleaned it with soap an water, and put triple antibiotic ointment on it. It started to heal. Week later, happened again. The leakage actually reoccurs every couple of weeks still. I do the same treatment everytime. The discharge is tinged with blood now. During "healing process", fur grows back and I keep eye on it but, I did notice this last time, Boo scratched it with his own paw and openwd it back up. Boo has had no change in appetite, mood, or stools during this time. I havent taken him to a vet for this yet but, talked to one. They said if it was healing, he should be fine. I havent talked to them since it has reoccured.

Your cat definitely needs to see a vet and get some proper antibiotics! When a cat receives a bite or scratch from another animal (especially a cat) the risk for infection is high. Most likely the medicated treatments that you are using (i.e. antibiotic cream) have a mild effect but are not strong enough to completely heal the infection.

Your vet will likely either prescribe some oral antibiotics or give an injection of a long lasting antibiotic called Convenia.

If for some reason, Boo is still not healing after this, then your vet may want to check his blood to make sure he doesn't have an immune system problem such as FIV or Feline Leukemia. But, my guess is that some proper antibiotics will clear this up completely.

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (71348 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (20800 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (33033 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (7570 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (8240 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (14788 views)

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (9264 views)

Older dog having seizures. My 10.5 year old chocolate lab had three seizures in 12 hours in October. He's... (19001 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (27944 views)

Blood in urine My male cat has red staining to his urine, he isn't acting any different but is... (7896 views)