Wounds not healing.

Breed: Tortiose shell tom
My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went out, he had been attacked by something...cut in ear, across nose, a few patches of fur missing...im guessing another cat. He developed a swollen spot on his neck that looked like it also had a small "cut" on it. Few days later, its leaking yellowish diacharge. I cleaned it with soap an water, and put triple antibiotic ointment on it. It started to heal. Week later, happened again. The leakage actually reoccurs every couple of weeks still. I do the same treatment everytime. The discharge is tinged with blood now. During "healing process", fur grows back and I keep eye on it but, I did notice this last time, Boo scratched it with his own paw and openwd it back up. Boo has had no change in appetite, mood, or stools during this time. I havent taken him to a vet for this yet but, talked to one. They said if it was healing, he should be fine. I havent talked to them since it has reoccured.

Your cat definitely needs to see a vet and get some proper antibiotics! When a cat receives a bite or scratch from another animal (especially a cat) the risk for infection is high. Most likely the medicated treatments that you are using (i.e. antibiotic cream) have a mild effect but are not strong enough to completely heal the infection.

Your vet will likely either prescribe some oral antibiotics or give an injection of a long lasting antibiotic called Convenia.

If for some reason, Boo is still not healing after this, then your vet may want to check his blood to make sure he doesn't have an immune system problem such as FIV or Feline Leukemia. But, my guess is that some proper antibiotics will clear this up completely.

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (89915 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (5670 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (16316 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (9584 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (18722 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (14935 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (15767 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (6175 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (18319 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (17375 views)