Wounds not healing.

Breed: Tortiose shell tom
My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went out, he had been attacked by something...cut in ear, across nose, a few patches of fur missing...im guessing another cat. He developed a swollen spot on his neck that looked like it also had a small "cut" on it. Few days later, its leaking yellowish diacharge. I cleaned it with soap an water, and put triple antibiotic ointment on it. It started to heal. Week later, happened again. The leakage actually reoccurs every couple of weeks still. I do the same treatment everytime. The discharge is tinged with blood now. During "healing process", fur grows back and I keep eye on it but, I did notice this last time, Boo scratched it with his own paw and openwd it back up. Boo has had no change in appetite, mood, or stools during this time. I havent taken him to a vet for this yet but, talked to one. They said if it was healing, he should be fine. I havent talked to them since it has reoccured.

Your cat definitely needs to see a vet and get some proper antibiotics! When a cat receives a bite or scratch from another animal (especially a cat) the risk for infection is high. Most likely the medicated treatments that you are using (i.e. antibiotic cream) have a mild effect but are not strong enough to completely heal the infection.

Your vet will likely either prescribe some oral antibiotics or give an injection of a long lasting antibiotic called Convenia.

If for some reason, Boo is still not healing after this, then your vet may want to check his blood to make sure he doesn't have an immune system problem such as FIV or Feline Leukemia. But, my guess is that some proper antibiotics will clear this up completely.

Lump on kitten's chest. Hi I have a kitten and he has developped a very hard lump on his chest, its on... (24151 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (7330 views)

Boxer with kennel cough. I adopted Shelby from a shelter. She has the kennel cough and I am treating her with... (15633 views)

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (43858 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (11059 views)

Lumps on dog's ear. Rocky has three very small bumps on the inside of the flap of his ear. They have... (31040 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (11693 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (29323 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (8463 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (7781 views)