Wounds not healing.

Breed: Tortiose shell tom
My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went out, he had been attacked by something...cut in ear, across nose, a few patches of fur missing...im guessing another cat. He developed a swollen spot on his neck that looked like it also had a small "cut" on it. Few days later, its leaking yellowish diacharge. I cleaned it with soap an water, and put triple antibiotic ointment on it. It started to heal. Week later, happened again. The leakage actually reoccurs every couple of weeks still. I do the same treatment everytime. The discharge is tinged with blood now. During "healing process", fur grows back and I keep eye on it but, I did notice this last time, Boo scratched it with his own paw and openwd it back up. Boo has had no change in appetite, mood, or stools during this time. I havent taken him to a vet for this yet but, talked to one. They said if it was healing, he should be fine. I havent talked to them since it has reoccured.

Your cat definitely needs to see a vet and get some proper antibiotics! When a cat receives a bite or scratch from another animal (especially a cat) the risk for infection is high. Most likely the medicated treatments that you are using (i.e. antibiotic cream) have a mild effect but are not strong enough to completely heal the infection.

Your vet will likely either prescribe some oral antibiotics or give an injection of a long lasting antibiotic called Convenia.

If for some reason, Boo is still not healing after this, then your vet may want to check his blood to make sure he doesn't have an immune system problem such as FIV or Feline Leukemia. But, my guess is that some proper antibiotics will clear this up completely.

Do dogs have panic attacks? In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and... (5817 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (10237 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (11338 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (6357 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (7280 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (4991 views)

Muscle atrophy in a cat. Its been two weeks since my 13 yr old cat, Sweety, has been unable to walk and the 4... (20689 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (16375 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (54199 views)

Trouble waking and dandruff. My male, neutered cat came from the back alley. I can't remember if we initally had... (4108 views)