pain after root canal

Breed: Lab Mix
Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she whinned when eating. Root canal on back teeth, several chipped etc. Following the procedure she was fine for about five days, then developed what best could be described as looking like a stiff neck. Doesn't want to shake her head vigorously, holds her neck down and just moves her eyes rather than her head to look at things. She won't jump up/down from the bed and is just cautious looking. Vets put her on a treatment of prednisone for several weeks, she was back to normal but when we backed completely off she was back to her cautious behavior.

They tested all bloodwork, vital organ functions etc. all were negative. Valley fever, negative.

We now give her 10 mg. of prednisone twice daily and she is back to normal. However, if we miss even one dose or delay a dose much past 14 to 18 hours she is back to that stiff neck look and obviously in pain.

Our local vet office with six vets, just do not know what is going on. Help!!!!

Oh, poor Bailey!

This is definitely an unusual situation. I'm not sure how much I can help without examining her, but let me give you a few thoughts.

It does seem coincidental that this happened after her dentistry. I can think of a few possible reasons why, but it may be difficult to determine.

First, it is possible that she has some dental pain from the sites of the root canals. From personal experience I know that any root canal (even when done by a great dentist) has the potential for complications. You may want to ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary dentist to assess whether these problems are stemming from dental pain. If so, the answer may be to extract the affected teeth.

In people, we can sometimes get lasting nerve pain after administering local anesthetic for a dental block. While it has not been reported in animals, it is worth asking your vet (or the veterinary dentist) about the possibility of this.

A back or neck problem could cause similar symptoms as well. Unfortunately though these can be hard to diagnose without an MRI. MRI's are usually available in most major cities but can be expensive.

It sounds like it may be a good idea to ask your vet for a referral to a specialist. You could start with a veterinary dentist, or perhaps an internal medicine specialist.

I wish I could add more to help. I really hope she is feeling better soon.

Does it make sense for such a low dosage of prednisone to quickly bring her out of these symptoms? It is amazing how just several hours after we give her the 10 mg. she goes from what seems to be a lot of pain to running around and wanting to eat everything.

Prednisone can be a good anti-inflammatory drug so if there is pain present (no matter if it is dental pain, neck pain or back pain) then it really can be helpful.

It's not a long term solution though. We need to find out why she is having pain!

I just had one additional thought. It is worthwhile to ask your vet about a condition called trigeminal neuritis. This is a condition that causes extreme pain in the jaw area and does respond usually to prednisone.

It really is not common, but worth looking into.

Broken leg in puppy? hi my puppu fell off the bed and now she cant put any weight on her front left paw... (23699 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (9608 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (12323 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (14824 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (11757 views)

Gerbil has rash on nose. My brothers pet gerbial has like a res rash or something aroud is nose and we are... (8845 views)

Is it ok to shave a cat? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings from Singapore! This is my 4th time writing to... (11480 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (14237 views)

Bloated abdomen my dog has been severly bloated for five weeks, at first i thought he had just got... (12569 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (9124 views)