Dog spay incision lump.

Breed: miniature pinscher
My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a couple of months ago and when I picked her up she still had her stitches in from her spay.

A couple of weeks later I brought her to my vet to have her stitches removed and at that time everything was normal and she had healed well with almost no scarring at all.

A few days ago, while rubbing her belly, I noticed an odd shaped lump directly underneath her spay scar. The lump is hard and feels like something foreign to her body. It is not a smooth lump and almost feels like a knot under her skin near her stitches. It moves slightly when I touch it and it doesn't bother her at all when I do, although I avoid moving it around too much as I'm not quite sure what it is.

She is eating, drinking, and playing like normal so it is not affecting her behaviour in any way.

Any idea of what this could be would be very much appreciated. Thank you, Dr. Marie.

There are several possible causes for a lump under a spay incision. One possibility for a lump under a dog's spay incision is a seroma, which is a collection of fluid. Other reasons include a hernia, scar tissue or infection. In most cases, though, it is nothing to worry about.

Most common reasons for a spay incision lump:

• Stitches. You may be feeling one of the layers of stitches that are under the skin.

• Scar tissue. It's not uncommon to feel fibrous scar tissue near a spay incision.

• A knot of suture material. Vets will usually use stitches that should dissolve under the skin. However, in some cases the lower layer of stitches can have a knot that pokes out a little bit. If this is the case, the knot should eventually just fall off on its own.

• Infection. An infection can cause a lump to form at the end of a dog's spay scar. If there is an infection, you will find that the incision is red and irritated and also painful. You should also see a thick yellow or green discharge. If you think that your dog's spay incision is infected, then you should make an appointment to have your vet take another look at the incision.

• Seroma - A seroma is a collection of fluid that can appear under an incision. It is usually not painful and is generally nothing to worry about and should go away within a week.

• Hernia In some cases, if a layer of stitches below the skin breaks down, we can get a hernia. Here is an example of a case where the skin stitches are intact, but the most important layer of stitches that holds the abdominal wall together has come apart:

dog spay incision lump

If you are able to push the lump back into her body, then this could be a hernia. If this is the case, she should see the vet right away.

In most cases though, a dog spay incision lump is nothing to worry about.

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (98525 views)

Yorkie not eating much food. My yorkie-poo rarely eats. He is currently eating instinct. He eats about 1/2 cup... (5945 views)

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (31805 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (4630 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (9156 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (8321 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (23899 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (4792 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (6009 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (10897 views)