Chances of getting rabies from my dog?

Breed: Rat Terrier
My wife was recently bit by my dog. My dog has battled allergies and likes to lick has paws untill raw. My wife tried to make him stop last night, and I think it may have startled him. He is a semi defensive dog, and really likes to protect his bed. He was licking himself on his bed He lunged and bit my wife in the side under her arm. I don't believe he really broke skin, but it has my wife a little concerend.

The dog is up to date on his rabbies and all other vaccinations, but my wife has seen that animals can still contact rabbies if vaccinated. The bite makes my wife a little concerned because she is nursing our 4 month old child. Is there anything else that should have been done besides cleaning out the bite, like mentioned it either barely broke skin or did not brake skin at all.

If you could answer that would be great, and take a lot of worry off my wife.

Thanks
Seth

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that this incident happened. It must have been quite frightening.

When reading this answer, keep in mind that I am not a human physician. It's always a good idea to contact your doctor when a human's health is in question. However, I can give you some general statements about dog bites and rabies.

Rabies has to be spread via saliva and this is why a dog bite is how the virus is transmitted. In your wife's case, the fact that there was barely any break in the skin tells me that it is extremely unlikely that any saliva was injected into her.

If you are in the USA or Canada, in most places there are very few cases of rabies. So this is in your favor as well. Rabies is a problem in other parts of the world such as India but cases of rabies in North America are very rare.

When an animal has rabies they get extremely ill VERY quickly. Usually you are seeing signs within a few days. An animal with rabies will usually have very unusual neurological symptoms such as hind end paralysis. The well known symptoms of rabies such as foaming at the mouth and snapping and extreme aggression come a few days later. It is really obvious that something is wrong with dogs who have rabies. Also they would have had to have been bitten by an infected animal within the last few days.

It is very very very unlikely for a vaccinated animal to transmit rabies, provided that the vaccines are up to date. In many cases, even if the vaccines are a year or two out of date they dog can still have good protection.

All of these things mentioned above make it extremely unlikely that rabies was transmitted by your dog to your wife.

The biggest concern with a dog bite is infection. It is good to keep the wound clean. (In your case if there is no break in the skin you likely don't have to do anything more.) I wouldn't be surprised if there is some swelling, bruising and redness in the next couple of days. But if you feel that the wound is getting infected then I would definitely see your doctor. Signs of infection include increasing redness, pain, oozing of yellow or green liquid or pus.

There really isn't anything that I can think of that would cause this to be a problem for your new baby. Congrats by the way! My 2 month old is sleeping next to me as I write this.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Child and dog have a virus. My puppy that is 9 weeks old has had all shot. Today he has terrible diarrhea and... (6532 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (10059 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (5242 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (8438 views)

In heat cat spay. Dear Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed today (by laser). When I picked her up the vet... (12734 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (12431 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (10293 views)

Cat hardly eating. my cat has recemtly been in the catery. since returning she has hardly eaten and is... (10211 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (18546 views)

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (6621 views)