Incontinence and balance issues.

Breed: Mixed Breed
We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started wetting herself in her sleep but it is continuing while she is awake. She also seems as if she is unable to stand up without falling over. What might be the cause of these issues?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Baby Girl is having problems.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you mentioned.

Sometimes a spayed female dog will become incontinent and have difficulty holding her bladder when resting or asleep. This problem is quite easily treated with medication prescribed by your vet. However, this condition does not cause balance issues, so I don't think this is what we are dealing with.

While I can't say for sure what is going on it sounds like something serious enough to have your vet take a look.

It is possible that she has a problem with her spinal cord. This could be from an injury to her back or it could be a problem with the discs between her vertebrae or a condition called FCE where a piece of cartilage affects the spinal cord. These conditions will cause problems with the nerves that affect the back end of the body. Any of these conditions could cause her to be wobbly on her back end. And, they could possibly cause her to have difficulties with consciously emptying her bladder and therefore the urine just leaks out once her bladder is full.

It is also possible that she has gotten into something that has damaged her kidneys such as antifreeze, certain plants or a condition called leptospirosis. If this were the case the kidneys could be producing a very large amount of urine which is causing her to be incontinent. While kidney disease doesn't directly cause problems with balance, a dog that is really sick with kidney disease can be quite weak.

Another possibility, if she is not spayed is that she has an infection in her uterus called pyometra. While some dogs with pyometra have a gross pus discharge from their vulva, some have what is called a closed pyometra where the pus builds up in her uterus. This pus is very toxic and causes kidney damage. Pyometra is extremely serious. The treatment is to have her spayed immediately.

I would highly advise a vet visit as soon as possible for Baby Girl. Many of the conditions I mentioned above are treatable if we get to them early enough.

I would love to hear about how you make out at the vet's office.

I really hope she is ok.

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (10059 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (38759 views)

Cat peed on my bed. My neutered male cat has peed on my bed twice now. I've had him for almost a year... (7795 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (9711 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (16754 views)

Peeing orange and losing weight. I have a village dog, I think he is dying, I don't know what to do. I always feed... (17398 views)

Is URTI contagious to other cats? I have brang a new kitten home that has an upper respitory tract infection (URTI).... (7984 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (11213 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6755 views)

Crusty sores on cat. I noticed Robin had a sore that seemed infected under the right side of his chin. I... (28238 views)