Incontinence and balance issues.

Breed: Mixed Breed
We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started wetting herself in her sleep but it is continuing while she is awake. She also seems as if she is unable to stand up without falling over. What might be the cause of these issues?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Baby Girl is having problems.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you mentioned.

Sometimes a spayed female dog will become incontinent and have difficulty holding her bladder when resting or asleep. This problem is quite easily treated with medication prescribed by your vet. However, this condition does not cause balance issues, so I don't think this is what we are dealing with.

While I can't say for sure what is going on it sounds like something serious enough to have your vet take a look.

It is possible that she has a problem with her spinal cord. This could be from an injury to her back or it could be a problem with the discs between her vertebrae or a condition called FCE where a piece of cartilage affects the spinal cord. These conditions will cause problems with the nerves that affect the back end of the body. Any of these conditions could cause her to be wobbly on her back end. And, they could possibly cause her to have difficulties with consciously emptying her bladder and therefore the urine just leaks out once her bladder is full.

It is also possible that she has gotten into something that has damaged her kidneys such as antifreeze, certain plants or a condition called leptospirosis. If this were the case the kidneys could be producing a very large amount of urine which is causing her to be incontinent. While kidney disease doesn't directly cause problems with balance, a dog that is really sick with kidney disease can be quite weak.

Another possibility, if she is not spayed is that she has an infection in her uterus called pyometra. While some dogs with pyometra have a gross pus discharge from their vulva, some have what is called a closed pyometra where the pus builds up in her uterus. This pus is very toxic and causes kidney damage. Pyometra is extremely serious. The treatment is to have her spayed immediately.

I would highly advise a vet visit as soon as possible for Baby Girl. Many of the conditions I mentioned above are treatable if we get to them early enough.

I would love to hear about how you make out at the vet's office.

I really hope she is ok.

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (7737 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (7589 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (5137 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (10343 views)

Vet drained cyst. A few months back my dog developed a blocked sweat gland. My former vet basically... (7303 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (12499 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (8918 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (9776 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (9440 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (16180 views)