Incontinence and balance issues.

Breed: Mixed Breed
We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started wetting herself in her sleep but it is continuing while she is awake. She also seems as if she is unable to stand up without falling over. What might be the cause of these issues?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Baby Girl is having problems.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you mentioned.

Sometimes a spayed female dog will become incontinent and have difficulty holding her bladder when resting or asleep. This problem is quite easily treated with medication prescribed by your vet. However, this condition does not cause balance issues, so I don't think this is what we are dealing with.

While I can't say for sure what is going on it sounds like something serious enough to have your vet take a look.

It is possible that she has a problem with her spinal cord. This could be from an injury to her back or it could be a problem with the discs between her vertebrae or a condition called FCE where a piece of cartilage affects the spinal cord. These conditions will cause problems with the nerves that affect the back end of the body. Any of these conditions could cause her to be wobbly on her back end. And, they could possibly cause her to have difficulties with consciously emptying her bladder and therefore the urine just leaks out once her bladder is full.

It is also possible that she has gotten into something that has damaged her kidneys such as antifreeze, certain plants or a condition called leptospirosis. If this were the case the kidneys could be producing a very large amount of urine which is causing her to be incontinent. While kidney disease doesn't directly cause problems with balance, a dog that is really sick with kidney disease can be quite weak.

Another possibility, if she is not spayed is that she has an infection in her uterus called pyometra. While some dogs with pyometra have a gross pus discharge from their vulva, some have what is called a closed pyometra where the pus builds up in her uterus. This pus is very toxic and causes kidney damage. Pyometra is extremely serious. The treatment is to have her spayed immediately.

I would highly advise a vet visit as soon as possible for Baby Girl. Many of the conditions I mentioned above are treatable if we get to them early enough.

I would love to hear about how you make out at the vet's office.

I really hope she is ok.

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (36310 views)

Does my dog have mange? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a little 8 month old chihuahua. His name is chico and he has... (8399 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (107696 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (8175 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4432 views)

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (24484 views)

Wheezing then died. We adopted a cat from a family that could not keep him any longer because they just... (7764 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (8127 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4653 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (6459 views)