Incontinence and balance issues.

Breed: Mixed Breed
We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started wetting herself in her sleep but it is continuing while she is awake. She also seems as if she is unable to stand up without falling over. What might be the cause of these issues?

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Baby Girl is having problems.

There are a few things that can cause the symptoms you mentioned.

Sometimes a spayed female dog will become incontinent and have difficulty holding her bladder when resting or asleep. This problem is quite easily treated with medication prescribed by your vet. However, this condition does not cause balance issues, so I don't think this is what we are dealing with.

While I can't say for sure what is going on it sounds like something serious enough to have your vet take a look.

It is possible that she has a problem with her spinal cord. This could be from an injury to her back or it could be a problem with the discs between her vertebrae or a condition called FCE where a piece of cartilage affects the spinal cord. These conditions will cause problems with the nerves that affect the back end of the body. Any of these conditions could cause her to be wobbly on her back end. And, they could possibly cause her to have difficulties with consciously emptying her bladder and therefore the urine just leaks out once her bladder is full.

It is also possible that she has gotten into something that has damaged her kidneys such as antifreeze, certain plants or a condition called leptospirosis. If this were the case the kidneys could be producing a very large amount of urine which is causing her to be incontinent. While kidney disease doesn't directly cause problems with balance, a dog that is really sick with kidney disease can be quite weak.

Another possibility, if she is not spayed is that she has an infection in her uterus called pyometra. While some dogs with pyometra have a gross pus discharge from their vulva, some have what is called a closed pyometra where the pus builds up in her uterus. This pus is very toxic and causes kidney damage. Pyometra is extremely serious. The treatment is to have her spayed immediately.

I would highly advise a vet visit as soon as possible for Baby Girl. Many of the conditions I mentioned above are treatable if we get to them early enough.

I would love to hear about how you make out at the vet's office.

I really hope she is ok.

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (5407 views)

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (11274 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (7732 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (6772 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (15151 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (11108 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (8623 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (6795 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (7292 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (15545 views)