PPA safety for dogs.

Breed: Border Collie
Hi, Dr. Marie:

I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding my dog's incontinence problem. I took her into the vet, got the urinalysis done, and the results were normal. My vet advised that I put her on PPA for a week as a diagnostic tool to see if it helps (and if it does, she doesn't think that any more testing is necessary and that I can decide to keep her on the medicine or not). My question to you is whether there are any negative side affects to giving her PPA for the rest of her life. So far, it's been great to not have to work so hard to keep her from leaking and she doesn't seem to have had any side effects. But, if there is any chance that the medication poses any detriment (even minor) to her health, it's worth it to me to deal with a leaky dog.

What would you suggest?

Thanks so much!
Julie

Hi Julie,

I'm glad to hear that Jammy's urine tests were normal!

PPA is a really good medication to help with urinary incontinence. You will read things online though that make it look quite scary.

The reason why it gets a bad name is that a few years ago, human products containing PPA were withdrawn from the market. The concern was that it could cause an increased risk of stroke in women. Strokes are not common in dogs. There has been a very rare report of a possible stroke in dogs on PPA, but the risk is extremely small.

I am cautious in using PPA in dogs that have high blood pressure issues, but this is really not common. It doesn't cause high blood pressure but could make an existing issue worse.

One thing to think of for the future is that the literature shows us that if Jammy was to be put on an NSAID (i.e. an arthritis medication like Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, or Previcox) then it could increase the risk of high blood pressure. In cases like this where a dog needed both medications I would likely do periodic blood pressure checks.

My main concern with PPA is that I have seen some dogs that, once they are on the drug, get excessively hyperactive and jumpy. It doesn't happen often, but for those dogs I put them on something else. The drug I generally use for incontinence in spayed female dogs is stilbestrol (DES). However, in some areas, DES is not readily available. It comes with its own list of possible but rare side effects as well.

I have a good number of dogs in my practice that have been on PPA for many many years. Jammy should do just fine.

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (68028 views)

Lump on puppy's jaw. Hi, My puppy has a lump on her face at the side just below her eye, Its roughly... (13785 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (8490 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (18121 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (20709 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (10369 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (51653 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (26826 views)

Tramadol online. My 8 year old English mastiff has pain due to hop problems. Her vet has prescribed... (10349 views)

Dog is panting a lot. My dog Sam has been panting alot for the past year. Recently he is doing this more... (25670 views)