PPA safety for dogs.

Breed: Border Collie
Hi, Dr. Marie:

I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding my dog's incontinence problem. I took her into the vet, got the urinalysis done, and the results were normal. My vet advised that I put her on PPA for a week as a diagnostic tool to see if it helps (and if it does, she doesn't think that any more testing is necessary and that I can decide to keep her on the medicine or not). My question to you is whether there are any negative side affects to giving her PPA for the rest of her life. So far, it's been great to not have to work so hard to keep her from leaking and she doesn't seem to have had any side effects. But, if there is any chance that the medication poses any detriment (even minor) to her health, it's worth it to me to deal with a leaky dog.

What would you suggest?

Thanks so much!
Julie

Hi Julie,

I'm glad to hear that Jammy's urine tests were normal!

PPA is a really good medication to help with urinary incontinence. You will read things online though that make it look quite scary.

The reason why it gets a bad name is that a few years ago, human products containing PPA were withdrawn from the market. The concern was that it could cause an increased risk of stroke in women. Strokes are not common in dogs. There has been a very rare report of a possible stroke in dogs on PPA, but the risk is extremely small.

I am cautious in using PPA in dogs that have high blood pressure issues, but this is really not common. It doesn't cause high blood pressure but could make an existing issue worse.

One thing to think of for the future is that the literature shows us that if Jammy was to be put on an NSAID (i.e. an arthritis medication like Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, or Previcox) then it could increase the risk of high blood pressure. In cases like this where a dog needed both medications I would likely do periodic blood pressure checks.

My main concern with PPA is that I have seen some dogs that, once they are on the drug, get excessively hyperactive and jumpy. It doesn't happen often, but for those dogs I put them on something else. The drug I generally use for incontinence in spayed female dogs is stilbestrol (DES). However, in some areas, DES is not readily available. It comes with its own list of possible but rare side effects as well.

I have a good number of dogs in my practice that have been on PPA for many many years. Jammy should do just fine.

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (12850 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (9153 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (5472 views)

Spaying an older dog. My dog is 10 years old and has had 2 litters of puppies. I would like to have her... (6677 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (17494 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (7670 views)

Sore gums in chihuahua. My dog's gums are very sensitive. I tried brushing them and on the right side, they... (9259 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (7001 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (32541 views)

Cat with broken pelvis-not eating. My kitty has a broken left pelvis, which happened 8 days ago. Today she has changed,... (9515 views)