PPA safety for dogs.

Breed: Border Collie
Hi, Dr. Marie:

I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding my dog's incontinence problem. I took her into the vet, got the urinalysis done, and the results were normal. My vet advised that I put her on PPA for a week as a diagnostic tool to see if it helps (and if it does, she doesn't think that any more testing is necessary and that I can decide to keep her on the medicine or not). My question to you is whether there are any negative side affects to giving her PPA for the rest of her life. So far, it's been great to not have to work so hard to keep her from leaking and she doesn't seem to have had any side effects. But, if there is any chance that the medication poses any detriment (even minor) to her health, it's worth it to me to deal with a leaky dog.

What would you suggest?

Thanks so much!
Julie

Hi Julie,

I'm glad to hear that Jammy's urine tests were normal!

PPA is a really good medication to help with urinary incontinence. You will read things online though that make it look quite scary.

The reason why it gets a bad name is that a few years ago, human products containing PPA were withdrawn from the market. The concern was that it could cause an increased risk of stroke in women. Strokes are not common in dogs. There has been a very rare report of a possible stroke in dogs on PPA, but the risk is extremely small.

I am cautious in using PPA in dogs that have high blood pressure issues, but this is really not common. It doesn't cause high blood pressure but could make an existing issue worse.

One thing to think of for the future is that the literature shows us that if Jammy was to be put on an NSAID (i.e. an arthritis medication like Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, or Previcox) then it could increase the risk of high blood pressure. In cases like this where a dog needed both medications I would likely do periodic blood pressure checks.

My main concern with PPA is that I have seen some dogs that, once they are on the drug, get excessively hyperactive and jumpy. It doesn't happen often, but for those dogs I put them on something else. The drug I generally use for incontinence in spayed female dogs is stilbestrol (DES). However, in some areas, DES is not readily available. It comes with its own list of possible but rare side effects as well.

I have a good number of dogs in my practice that have been on PPA for many many years. Jammy should do just fine.

Do sheep die on their backs? Hi, there. We have been having a debate about a sheep we saw in the field behind... (58872 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (7961 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (12679 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (7070 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (16362 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (4445 views)

Wobbly boxer My 3 year old male boxer has several issues. A couple weeks ago he was lethargic... (16120 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (6760 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (7967 views)

Black stuff in cat's ears. Hi Dr. Marie. My cat Thelma (who happens to be male and nearly 15) has had an issue... (33426 views)