PPA safety for dogs.

Breed: Border Collie
Hi, Dr. Marie:

I am writing a follow-up question from a few weeks ago regarding my dog's incontinence problem. I took her into the vet, got the urinalysis done, and the results were normal. My vet advised that I put her on PPA for a week as a diagnostic tool to see if it helps (and if it does, she doesn't think that any more testing is necessary and that I can decide to keep her on the medicine or not). My question to you is whether there are any negative side affects to giving her PPA for the rest of her life. So far, it's been great to not have to work so hard to keep her from leaking and she doesn't seem to have had any side effects. But, if there is any chance that the medication poses any detriment (even minor) to her health, it's worth it to me to deal with a leaky dog.

What would you suggest?

Thanks so much!
Julie

Hi Julie,

I'm glad to hear that Jammy's urine tests were normal!

PPA is a really good medication to help with urinary incontinence. You will read things online though that make it look quite scary.

The reason why it gets a bad name is that a few years ago, human products containing PPA were withdrawn from the market. The concern was that it could cause an increased risk of stroke in women. Strokes are not common in dogs. There has been a very rare report of a possible stroke in dogs on PPA, but the risk is extremely small.

I am cautious in using PPA in dogs that have high blood pressure issues, but this is really not common. It doesn't cause high blood pressure but could make an existing issue worse.

One thing to think of for the future is that the literature shows us that if Jammy was to be put on an NSAID (i.e. an arthritis medication like Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, or Previcox) then it could increase the risk of high blood pressure. In cases like this where a dog needed both medications I would likely do periodic blood pressure checks.

My main concern with PPA is that I have seen some dogs that, once they are on the drug, get excessively hyperactive and jumpy. It doesn't happen often, but for those dogs I put them on something else. The drug I generally use for incontinence in spayed female dogs is stilbestrol (DES). However, in some areas, DES is not readily available. It comes with its own list of possible but rare side effects as well.

I have a good number of dogs in my practice that have been on PPA for many many years. Jammy should do just fine.

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (54086 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (5884 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (4309 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (24778 views)

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (15223 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (6706 views)

Vaccine FeLV positive cat? If my cat tested positive for FeLv should he still get vaccine boosters like fvrcp,... (4760 views)

Does Vick's Vapo rub help cat's breathing? My vet says my cat has a sinus tumor and a Iwas wondering if vicks would help him to... (34533 views)

Spay a nursing cat? Our kitty gave birth to three kittens 10 days ago and is already in heat. Is it... (7763 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (9520 views)