Very itchy dog.

Breed: miniature Schnauzer
My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as ringworm and put her on 100 milligrams ketaconazole po daily for 14 days, she is 10 lbs. She has been taking it for 5 days and there is no improvement. The main lesion is on her back and is now spreading and with yellow crusting. She has a foul odor sort of like urine but not quite. She is 7 hrs old and we dealwith this same type of rash at least 7 months of each year. We go in a cycle of the first diagnosis is allergy, then they say fleas or fungal then she gets a secondary infection and we always end up on clindamycin. I have tried every type of food out there including purely synthetic hypoallergenic food at $60 a bag, I have cleaned, cleaned and clean some more. Thrown away bedding over and over again and nothing really seems to help. This poor baby dog scratches herself insane she looks herself until yeast develops between her paws and in her ears then we have to go to special air solutions that have trizul/synoptic/diflucan/Bayer which work great but the vet charges $82 a bottle for and won't write a script for BC he says it is his own mixture. I am a nurse practitioner so I understand the cycle of treatment and effects of medication side effects. I just want her to feel better....is there anything that you can recommend? I am truly begging! Lol. I look forward to hearing from you.
Cheryll and Molly

Poor Molly. Cases like this are so difficult. I have a few thoughts for you.

One thing you may want to consider is asking your vet if you can be referred to see a veterinary dermatologist. These vets will initially cost a little more, but are your best chance at getting down to the cause of the problem.

Another thing that may help would be to ask your vet if a biopsy would be of any help. Sometimes what we think is a bacterial or a yeast infection can actually have an underlying cause like an autoimmune disease. If this is the case then there are other things that can be done.

You could also ask your vet if bathing in an antifungal shampoo could make a difference as well. If this is a fungal condition like ringworm then it can take much longer than 5 days to see an improvement. An antifungal shampoo can possibly help improve things while we are waiting for the ketoconazole to kick in.

It's also possible that Molly has an allergy to yeast. If this is the case then after a couple of weeks on the ketoconazole you may see a significant improvement but she may also need a small dose of steroids to help her as well.

I have had cases like this that are very very difficult. It sounds like your vet is doing all of the same things that I would.

I hope things improve soon!

Lump under dog's eye? Hello, A couple days ago I noticed a red-pink bump under my dog's right eye. It... (26547 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (15082 views)

Head tremor in a cat. Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Wildwood has been lethargic for the past 2 days, along with... (31372 views)

Milk for cat? Is milk good for a one month old... (6725 views)

Male cat nipple problem. My male desexed cat has always had a enlarged nipple. It seems to be getting larger... (18459 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (13829 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (22209 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (18882 views)

Kitten urinating in house. we adopted a 4 month old kitten 3 weeks ago. yesterday he urinated on my husbands... (5922 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (8711 views)