Abscess on dog's neck.

Breed: Boxer
We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It sometimes will leak puss occasionally. It grew exponentially in the last day or so. I tried getting an appointment on Saturday at my vet, but couldn't. In the last 24 hours, she started developing fluid in the lower part of her neck below her jaw. Also, the hard lump on the upper neck just burst and lots of blood like fluid drained out along with puss like fluid. A couple of other details...she yelped twice when it was touched inadvertently. It has never seemed to hurt her prior to this time. She also hasn't had much of an appetite. However, her appetite is always sporadic so that may not mean anything. She was scratching at it too, which probably caused it to open up. I went ahead and drained it the best I could so it wasn't all over our house (using peroxide and paper towels). I will go to my vet tomorrow, but is there anything I should do in the meantime? Should I go to a 24 hour emergency vet? Any thoughts on what this could be? I sent 3 photos for your reference. Thank you for your help!

Aw, sorry to hear about your dog. I'm also sorry I'm only just responding to you now as you likely have already seen the vet.

This really does sound like an abscess. Abscesses usually start with some sort of break in the skin. It's odd but I seem to see more boxers with neck abscesses than other breeds.

Thanks for sending some excellent photos. Your girl looks like a real sweetheart. She doesn't look very impressed about the lump:

abscess on dog's neck

dog abscess

There's not a whole lot that you can do for this at home other than take a warm cloth and wipe away the pus that you see. I don't recommend trying to lance the abscess or open it up. As you have discovered they can be quite messy. Also, if this abscess is on the neck then if you try to lance it you run the risk of puncturing the jugular vein which would definitely not be good.

You may find that you can give your dog some relief by putting a warm cloth on the area for 20 minutes at a time occasionally throughout the night. This might help reduce some of the swelling.

If you have any anti-inflammatory medicine such as Metacam, Rimadyl or Deramaxx or other medications that have been prescribed for your dog for pain at some point then giving a dose of this would help. However, if you don't, I don't recommend giving anything over the counter. Medications like aspirin could potentially cause an increase in bleeding.

Peroxide is not a bad idea if there is a mess caked on the fur, but if you continue to use peroxide it will sting and it can cause tissue damage. Really, just warm water is best.

If she is painful and not eating well then it's possible that she has a fever associated with this abscess. Your vet will check this and may possibly prescribe medication to bring the fever down. Most likely they'll prescribe antibiotics that will help.

I have seen some abscesses that heal with good antibiotics. But, many of them will need some type of surgery so that they drain completely. Your vet will advise you on whether surgery is necessary.

Hopefully she is feeling better soon!

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (6475 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (10424 views)

Is my Golden hypothryoid? We have tried every diet under the sun to get the last few kilo's off our doggie.... (9337 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (7492 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (8949 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (11975 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (8683 views)

Paralyzed dog. O.K, here is the deal. Our dog Sadie was diagnosed with a ruptured disc (L2) I... (49465 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (7285 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (6576 views)