Pigmented spot on belly.

Breed: Golden
Dr,

Recall my 9 week old golden named Max...
I noticed something today on his abdomen approximately halfway between his last nipple and his testicle, to the left of his penis.

Its oval shaped, about 3-4 mm in length, slightly raised bump, very slightly pink/reddish. It has tiny pigmentation dark spots on it like a small salt shaker. Palpating it, doesn't really feel like a mass, or maybe a very tiny one.

He seems unaware of it and doesn't to mind if I touch it.

Without the benefit of a physical examination, do you think it's anything?

Jay

Hi Jay, I definitely remember Max!

This is a tough one to answer without seeing Max. Is there any way you could send me a picture of the area? If you can get one, you can send it to info@askavetquestion.com.

If it is not bothersome to Max it is likely not anything to worry about. Is it possible it is another nipple?

Let me know if you can get a picture of it and I'll see if we can figure this out...

Great,

picture sent, thanks

Jay

Thanks for getting such a great picture! I zoomed in on the area in question and I really think it is nothing to worry about. It may be that he is getting some pigment change on his belly. This spot may turn into an area of black pigmentation which is totally normal.

At this point I don't think there is any need to have your vet take a look. But, if any of the following happens then I would go in:

-If it is getting bothersome to Max
-If it is looking like a crusty scab
-If there is a ring of crusty or flaking skin around it.

Otherwise, I would suggest pointing it out to your vet the next time he is in.

That's a relief.

Why so you suppose it's a raised bump?

Jay

Hmm...that's a good question.

What I can tell you is that there is no common problem that would cause Max's skin to look like this.

It doesn't look anything like an infection or a tumor or a foreign object from what I can see.

Sorry I don't have a 100% answer for you!

Ok thank you. I will just keep an eye on it. If it doesn't change am I safe to leave it for his next visit in 3 weeks?

Jay

That sounds like a great plan!

is it possible its from an allergic reaction?

Oh, sorry for the delay Jay...I was not online when you replied.

This really doesn't look like an allergic reaction. It could possibly be a bug bite or insect sting though...this is a possibility. If this is it it should be gone in 2-3 days.

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (12097 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (6851 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (15317 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (10406 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (15801 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (9397 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (15694 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (24750 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (13415 views)

Rogain toxic to dogs? Hello. Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question. I have... (25233 views)