Pigmented spot on belly.

Breed: Golden
Dr,

Recall my 9 week old golden named Max...
I noticed something today on his abdomen approximately halfway between his last nipple and his testicle, to the left of his penis.

Its oval shaped, about 3-4 mm in length, slightly raised bump, very slightly pink/reddish. It has tiny pigmentation dark spots on it like a small salt shaker. Palpating it, doesn't really feel like a mass, or maybe a very tiny one.

He seems unaware of it and doesn't to mind if I touch it.

Without the benefit of a physical examination, do you think it's anything?

Jay

Hi Jay, I definitely remember Max!

This is a tough one to answer without seeing Max. Is there any way you could send me a picture of the area? If you can get one, you can send it to info@askavetquestion.com.

If it is not bothersome to Max it is likely not anything to worry about. Is it possible it is another nipple?

Let me know if you can get a picture of it and I'll see if we can figure this out...

Great,

picture sent, thanks

Jay

Thanks for getting such a great picture! I zoomed in on the area in question and I really think it is nothing to worry about. It may be that he is getting some pigment change on his belly. This spot may turn into an area of black pigmentation which is totally normal.

At this point I don't think there is any need to have your vet take a look. But, if any of the following happens then I would go in:

-If it is getting bothersome to Max
-If it is looking like a crusty scab
-If there is a ring of crusty or flaking skin around it.

Otherwise, I would suggest pointing it out to your vet the next time he is in.

That's a relief.

Why so you suppose it's a raised bump?

Jay

Hmm...that's a good question.

What I can tell you is that there is no common problem that would cause Max's skin to look like this.

It doesn't look anything like an infection or a tumor or a foreign object from what I can see.

Sorry I don't have a 100% answer for you!

Ok thank you. I will just keep an eye on it. If it doesn't change am I safe to leave it for his next visit in 3 weeks?

Jay

That sounds like a great plan!

is it possible its from an allergic reaction?

Oh, sorry for the delay Jay...I was not online when you replied.

This really doesn't look like an allergic reaction. It could possibly be a bug bite or insect sting though...this is a possibility. If this is it it should be gone in 2-3 days.

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (17872 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (4844 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (5403 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (8226 views)

Hairless cat skin problem. I recently took my hairless cats collar off and there was a small red sore were the... (8196 views)

Lump between toes. I have noticed an irregular-shaped, red in colour, bumpy lump on the webbing in... (11489 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (7906 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (16788 views)

Is my dog overweight? Can you please tell me what weight Lady should be? She is now 24kg, is this a good... (5707 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (8376 views)