Pigmented spot on belly.

Breed: Golden
Dr,

Recall my 9 week old golden named Max...
I noticed something today on his abdomen approximately halfway between his last nipple and his testicle, to the left of his penis.

Its oval shaped, about 3-4 mm in length, slightly raised bump, very slightly pink/reddish. It has tiny pigmentation dark spots on it like a small salt shaker. Palpating it, doesn't really feel like a mass, or maybe a very tiny one.

He seems unaware of it and doesn't to mind if I touch it.

Without the benefit of a physical examination, do you think it's anything?

Jay

Hi Jay, I definitely remember Max!

This is a tough one to answer without seeing Max. Is there any way you could send me a picture of the area? If you can get one, you can send it to info@askavetquestion.com.

If it is not bothersome to Max it is likely not anything to worry about. Is it possible it is another nipple?

Let me know if you can get a picture of it and I'll see if we can figure this out...

Great,

picture sent, thanks

Jay

Thanks for getting such a great picture! I zoomed in on the area in question and I really think it is nothing to worry about. It may be that he is getting some pigment change on his belly. This spot may turn into an area of black pigmentation which is totally normal.

At this point I don't think there is any need to have your vet take a look. But, if any of the following happens then I would go in:

-If it is getting bothersome to Max
-If it is looking like a crusty scab
-If there is a ring of crusty or flaking skin around it.

Otherwise, I would suggest pointing it out to your vet the next time he is in.

That's a relief.

Why so you suppose it's a raised bump?

Jay

Hmm...that's a good question.

What I can tell you is that there is no common problem that would cause Max's skin to look like this.

It doesn't look anything like an infection or a tumor or a foreign object from what I can see.

Sorry I don't have a 100% answer for you!

Ok thank you. I will just keep an eye on it. If it doesn't change am I safe to leave it for his next visit in 3 weeks?

Jay

That sounds like a great plan!

is it possible its from an allergic reaction?

Oh, sorry for the delay Jay...I was not online when you replied.

This really doesn't look like an allergic reaction. It could possibly be a bug bite or insect sting though...this is a possibility. If this is it it should be gone in 2-3 days.

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (9872 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (28866 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (9306 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (6853 views)

How much water should a puppy drink? Dr Marie, This is more a precautionary question. Max is 4.5 months old, 37... (85024 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (14748 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (37898 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6597 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (17749 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (22011 views)