Pigmented spot on belly.

Breed: Golden
Dr,

Recall my 9 week old golden named Max...
I noticed something today on his abdomen approximately halfway between his last nipple and his testicle, to the left of his penis.

Its oval shaped, about 3-4 mm in length, slightly raised bump, very slightly pink/reddish. It has tiny pigmentation dark spots on it like a small salt shaker. Palpating it, doesn't really feel like a mass, or maybe a very tiny one.

He seems unaware of it and doesn't to mind if I touch it.

Without the benefit of a physical examination, do you think it's anything?

Jay

Hi Jay, I definitely remember Max!

This is a tough one to answer without seeing Max. Is there any way you could send me a picture of the area? If you can get one, you can send it to info@askavetquestion.com.

If it is not bothersome to Max it is likely not anything to worry about. Is it possible it is another nipple?

Let me know if you can get a picture of it and I'll see if we can figure this out...

Great,

picture sent, thanks

Jay

Thanks for getting such a great picture! I zoomed in on the area in question and I really think it is nothing to worry about. It may be that he is getting some pigment change on his belly. This spot may turn into an area of black pigmentation which is totally normal.

At this point I don't think there is any need to have your vet take a look. But, if any of the following happens then I would go in:

-If it is getting bothersome to Max
-If it is looking like a crusty scab
-If there is a ring of crusty or flaking skin around it.

Otherwise, I would suggest pointing it out to your vet the next time he is in.

That's a relief.

Why so you suppose it's a raised bump?

Jay

Hmm...that's a good question.

What I can tell you is that there is no common problem that would cause Max's skin to look like this.

It doesn't look anything like an infection or a tumor or a foreign object from what I can see.

Sorry I don't have a 100% answer for you!

Ok thank you. I will just keep an eye on it. If it doesn't change am I safe to leave it for his next visit in 3 weeks?

Jay

That sounds like a great plan!

is it possible its from an allergic reaction?

Oh, sorry for the delay Jay...I was not online when you replied.

This really doesn't look like an allergic reaction. It could possibly be a bug bite or insect sting though...this is a possibility. If this is it it should be gone in 2-3 days.

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (9386 views)

Bald spots on dog I have 2 staffordshire bullterriers which are brothers 1 of them has lost a spot of... (12399 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (6427 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (16001 views)

Dog won't gain weight. Our boy, Zidane, was born May 19, 2009, which makes Zidane almost 18 months old. He... (11171 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (15917 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (14624 views)

Dog with colonic tumor. Hi - Our nearly 11 year old male yellow lab has had quite a week. He has been... (17251 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (5351 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (67761 views)