Pigmented spot on belly.

Breed: Golden
Dr,

Recall my 9 week old golden named Max...
I noticed something today on his abdomen approximately halfway between his last nipple and his testicle, to the left of his penis.

Its oval shaped, about 3-4 mm in length, slightly raised bump, very slightly pink/reddish. It has tiny pigmentation dark spots on it like a small salt shaker. Palpating it, doesn't really feel like a mass, or maybe a very tiny one.

He seems unaware of it and doesn't to mind if I touch it.

Without the benefit of a physical examination, do you think it's anything?

Jay

Hi Jay, I definitely remember Max!

This is a tough one to answer without seeing Max. Is there any way you could send me a picture of the area? If you can get one, you can send it to info@askavetquestion.com.

If it is not bothersome to Max it is likely not anything to worry about. Is it possible it is another nipple?

Let me know if you can get a picture of it and I'll see if we can figure this out...

Great,

picture sent, thanks

Jay

Thanks for getting such a great picture! I zoomed in on the area in question and I really think it is nothing to worry about. It may be that he is getting some pigment change on his belly. This spot may turn into an area of black pigmentation which is totally normal.

At this point I don't think there is any need to have your vet take a look. But, if any of the following happens then I would go in:

-If it is getting bothersome to Max
-If it is looking like a crusty scab
-If there is a ring of crusty or flaking skin around it.

Otherwise, I would suggest pointing it out to your vet the next time he is in.

That's a relief.

Why so you suppose it's a raised bump?

Jay

Hmm...that's a good question.

What I can tell you is that there is no common problem that would cause Max's skin to look like this.

It doesn't look anything like an infection or a tumor or a foreign object from what I can see.

Sorry I don't have a 100% answer for you!

Ok thank you. I will just keep an eye on it. If it doesn't change am I safe to leave it for his next visit in 3 weeks?

Jay

That sounds like a great plan!

is it possible its from an allergic reaction?

Oh, sorry for the delay Jay...I was not online when you replied.

This really doesn't look like an allergic reaction. It could possibly be a bug bite or insect sting though...this is a possibility. If this is it it should be gone in 2-3 days.

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (58793 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (13214 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (12106 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (20167 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14807 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (7802 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (12564 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (21389 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (12172 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (11479 views)