Large mammary glands.

Breed: Black and Tan Kelpie
Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in total. However, it seems that all her teats have engorged largely which is unlike any of the other kelpies or dogs for that matter, we've had with pups. She is about two and a half years old and we were just wondering whether something could be wrong?

Hi and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new puppies!

It is often common for the mammary glands to be very engorged when nursing puppies. Some dogs are more affected than others.

The only reason I would be concerned is if any or all of the glands were painful, really red, or oozing pus. If this is the case she may have an infection in the glands.

As long as mom is feeling good and nursing well then I wouldn't be too worried.

Can dogs drink tea? Can dogs drink tea? I have been told by quite a few people that it helps puppies to... (54221 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (19879 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (6741 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (10285 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (7900 views)

Feeding sardines. I have a male Maltese which I have owned for 4 years, he was a rescue dog so his... (14190 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (112162 views)

Meowing all the time? pain? Hi Dr. Marie Our cat has a virus infection and is on medication, and an eye drops.... (7160 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (27891 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (11102 views)