Large mammary glands.

Breed: Black and Tan Kelpie
Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in total. However, it seems that all her teats have engorged largely which is unlike any of the other kelpies or dogs for that matter, we've had with pups. She is about two and a half years old and we were just wondering whether something could be wrong?

Hi and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new puppies!

It is often common for the mammary glands to be very engorged when nursing puppies. Some dogs are more affected than others.

The only reason I would be concerned is if any or all of the glands were painful, really red, or oozing pus. If this is the case she may have an infection in the glands.

As long as mom is feeling good and nursing well then I wouldn't be too worried.

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (5505 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (77879 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (19586 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (37983 views)

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (24740 views)

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (8326 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (9069 views)

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (6323 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (16686 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (15043 views)