Large mammary glands.

Breed: Black and Tan Kelpie
Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in total. However, it seems that all her teats have engorged largely which is unlike any of the other kelpies or dogs for that matter, we've had with pups. She is about two and a half years old and we were just wondering whether something could be wrong?

Hi and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new puppies!

It is often common for the mammary glands to be very engorged when nursing puppies. Some dogs are more affected than others.

The only reason I would be concerned is if any or all of the glands were painful, really red, or oozing pus. If this is the case she may have an infection in the glands.

As long as mom is feeling good and nursing well then I wouldn't be too worried.

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (10077 views)

Cushings and cataracts. Our Little Jack Russell is 15 years old. He is blind from cataracts. And now the vet... (13605 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (7111 views)

Breeding big and little dog. i have a year and a half old female jack russell/rat terrier cross that is in heat... (8819 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (23633 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (49256 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (26265 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (15235 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (11385 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (6228 views)