Large mammary glands.

Breed: Black and Tan Kelpie
Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in total. However, it seems that all her teats have engorged largely which is unlike any of the other kelpies or dogs for that matter, we've had with pups. She is about two and a half years old and we were just wondering whether something could be wrong?

Hi and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new puppies!

It is often common for the mammary glands to be very engorged when nursing puppies. Some dogs are more affected than others.

The only reason I would be concerned is if any or all of the glands were painful, really red, or oozing pus. If this is the case she may have an infection in the glands.

As long as mom is feeling good and nursing well then I wouldn't be too worried.

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (5009 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (4174 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8450 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (9230 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (24497 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (4788 views)

dog with red eye Hello, I have a 2 year old male lab pit mix, fr a couple his left eye has been... (22881 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (7175 views)

Itchy dog. whats would be the best flea medication for a my dog?? hes been chewing for months... (8325 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (6445 views)