Large mammary glands.

Breed: Black and Tan Kelpie
Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in total. However, it seems that all her teats have engorged largely which is unlike any of the other kelpies or dogs for that matter, we've had with pups. She is about two and a half years old and we were just wondering whether something could be wrong?

Hi and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new puppies!

It is often common for the mammary glands to be very engorged when nursing puppies. Some dogs are more affected than others.

The only reason I would be concerned is if any or all of the glands were painful, really red, or oozing pus. If this is the case she may have an infection in the glands.

As long as mom is feeling good and nursing well then I wouldn't be too worried.

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (9229 views)

Cat pooping on floor. We have a male, neutered cat who is about 4 years old. He has been pooping on the... (13166 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (71570 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (7853 views)

Disinfecting dishes. Hello Marie, I am contacting you again to ask a question about a part of my cat... (13963 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (19685 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (19945 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (8734 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (31816 views)

Why did my cat die? my cat was fine one day and the next he stopped everything he only walked when... (12575 views)