Large mammary glands.

Breed: Black and Tan Kelpie
Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in total. However, it seems that all her teats have engorged largely which is unlike any of the other kelpies or dogs for that matter, we've had with pups. She is about two and a half years old and we were just wondering whether something could be wrong?

Hi and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new puppies!

It is often common for the mammary glands to be very engorged when nursing puppies. Some dogs are more affected than others.

The only reason I would be concerned is if any or all of the glands were painful, really red, or oozing pus. If this is the case she may have an infection in the glands.

As long as mom is feeling good and nursing well then I wouldn't be too worried.

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (4873 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (7557 views)

MRI for trouble standing? My dog Odie is paralyzed on the right side. No symptoms, no warnings, one night we... (9949 views)

Blood behind dog's ears. I noticed a couple of days ago what looked like mud behind her ears, now it's bloody... (32050 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (22224 views)

Megacolon. my cat has megacolon.we give him lactulose 1 1/2 oz 2 times a day & cisapride 1 ml 2... (8805 views)

Still have puppies inside? my dog had puppies 2 days ago 6 puppies were the only ones that came out, four came... (14978 views)

Very sick dog. Last night I noticed my dog had diarrhea and bad gas, but I thought she was just a... (14852 views)

Rapid breathing in sleep. My 8 week old puppy breathes very rapidly whenever she falls asleep like she is out... (110046 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (11061 views)