Large mammary glands.

Breed: Black and Tan Kelpie
Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in total. However, it seems that all her teats have engorged largely which is unlike any of the other kelpies or dogs for that matter, we've had with pups. She is about two and a half years old and we were just wondering whether something could be wrong?

Hi and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new puppies!

It is often common for the mammary glands to be very engorged when nursing puppies. Some dogs are more affected than others.

The only reason I would be concerned is if any or all of the glands were painful, really red, or oozing pus. If this is the case she may have an infection in the glands.

As long as mom is feeling good and nursing well then I wouldn't be too worried.

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (7717 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4682 views)

Seizure and diarrhea. Hi. My dog had a seizure this morning. her legs started shaking but she still had... (29309 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (5861 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (17183 views)

Coughin Min Pin. My dog throws up yellow bile, in the mornings, every other month or so. Her stomach... (11612 views)

congested kitten Hi,i recently took in a stray kitten & a few days ago she started coughing on &... (10484 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (8728 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (68323 views)

Hyperesthesia syndrome? I have a unique situation. Recently I have moved to a new apt 3 hours away from... (4595 views)