Large mammary glands.

Breed: Black and Tan Kelpie
Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in total. However, it seems that all her teats have engorged largely which is unlike any of the other kelpies or dogs for that matter, we've had with pups. She is about two and a half years old and we were just wondering whether something could be wrong?

Hi and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new puppies!

It is often common for the mammary glands to be very engorged when nursing puppies. Some dogs are more affected than others.

The only reason I would be concerned is if any or all of the glands were painful, really red, or oozing pus. If this is the case she may have an infection in the glands.

As long as mom is feeling good and nursing well then I wouldn't be too worried.

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (11673 views)

Stuffed up cat. I have a male cat named Tuna aged somewhere close to a year and a half. He is a... (13198 views)

Should dog be euthanized if he bites? We adopted a lab / hound mix dog from a local shelter. They didn't know much about... (13297 views)

Vomiting, quiet cat. My 5 year old cat starting vomiting on Sunday - a few times and then vomited clear... (17489 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (36116 views)

My cat died. My cat was found dead by a neighbour on a grass verge about 10ft from the road on... (12977 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (8790 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (15598 views)

IVDD and swimming. My American Bulldog Lucille, age 11 years old, has Type 2 IVDD. She can walk... (7651 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (12751 views)