Large mammary glands.

Breed: Black and Tan Kelpie
Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in total. However, it seems that all her teats have engorged largely which is unlike any of the other kelpies or dogs for that matter, we've had with pups. She is about two and a half years old and we were just wondering whether something could be wrong?

Hi and thanks for your question. Congrats on your new puppies!

It is often common for the mammary glands to be very engorged when nursing puppies. Some dogs are more affected than others.

The only reason I would be concerned is if any or all of the glands were painful, really red, or oozing pus. If this is the case she may have an infection in the glands.

As long as mom is feeling good and nursing well then I wouldn't be too worried.

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (29725 views)

Is this Pemphigus? My cat Loki is a 4 yr old, neutered male. Over the past 2 years he has been getting... (8883 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (45988 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10549 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7343 views)

Boxer bleeding from mouth. Hello my dog has just started bleeding from his mouth its not alot alot but it is... (67924 views)

Questions about seizures and MRI. Dr., We are in a dilemma and don't know what to do. Our pet, BooBoo, our beatiful... (61822 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10098 views)

Cat with megacolon We have a cat, Poofter, who has mega-colon. The vet prescribed Hills Prescription... (11542 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (8807 views)