Take temperature orally?

Breed: Collie mix
My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his temperature on a daily basis. This is much easier said than done given that he is a large dog with an almost non-existent tail that he can clamp shut at will. If I had to, I could have a couple of folks sit on him (like they do at the vet) but it seems like taking an oral temperature would be equally effective. I have been told by a vet that the touch/read thermometers are not that accurate on dogs. So, I am using a soft-tip digital thermometer that measures the temp in 10 seconds. My dog is very used to having his teeth brushed and tolerates the thermometer in his mouth with no inclination to bite it. I am just laying it along this inside gum/cheek pouch towards the back. As long as I make sure he hasn't been eating or drinking anything in the past 20 minutes, I am wondering if this is an accurate reading. The only explanation I could find for not taking oral temps from dogs is the fear that they may bite a glass thermometer and ingest either glass or mercury. That is not an issue in this case. He seems to be doing well and shows no outward signs of fever. I don't want to stress him out and risk him popping staples if I don't really need to. Can you tell me if taking his temp this way (temp is a little over a 100 degrees) is ok? Thanks for any advice.

Ah, it is often difficult to take a rectal temperature on a dog.

In 12 years of practice this is the first time some one has asked me if you can take a pet's temperature orally!

You really should be able to do this. The concern though would be to make sure that the thermometer is in the right spot. They are meant to be placed under the tongue and I would be surprised if Hilton would allow you to do this. I would imagine though that placing it firmly against the cheek should accomplish the same thing.

You are right that ear thermometers are not accurate in dogs.

Here is what I would love to do. Do you think you could handle taking his temperature rectally one more time? If so, take his temperature rectally, then take it orally. (Ideally it would be best to use a second thermometer to take it orally after the first one has been in the rectum.) Then, you can tell if you are getting the same reading orally and rectally.

A normal temperature for a dog should be between 100F and 102F. So, if you are reading a little over 100 degrees this should be ok.

I hope he recovers quickly!

I will do this a few more times to make sure it is consistent but it does seem that there will be an approximate one degree difference. The oral temperature is about that much lower and I have done this twice. Of course, it is warm here so the dog is panting. Luckily, the anti-seizure meds have kicked in so he was pretty relaxed for the whole thing. Regardless, it is somewhere between 100 and 102 so I am happy about that. Thanks so much for your help.

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (8509 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (12881 views)

Ate tag from pillow case. My dog ate a tag like the one on a pillow what should i... (11541 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (25016 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (18732 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (16551 views)

Dog attacked by javelina. My dog got attacked by a javelina.. shes bleeding from her nose and mouth, what... (9155 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (25897 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (10756 views)

Allergic to greenies? My 11.5 year old pug/griffin mix dog has been having nasal/breathing issues for the... (9337 views)