Hamster escaping out lid.

Breed: syrain
hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten through the top lid plastic clips, and when i chews the bars the lid lifts up and my mum's very worried he will escape ive taken out hes wheel so he can't climb up to the lid but im still very worried about him escapeing out the hole on the top of he's wheel have you got any surgestions?

Hi and thanks for your question.

Hamsters can be quite resourceful and are very good at escaping if their cages are not well secured.

If the clips that hold the lid closed are chewed through then you may need to get yourself a new cage. You may want to try something different than a rody cage such as a cage with wire bars and a more secure latch.

It's hard for me to say without seeing your cage but you could potentially put a heavy book over the lid to keep him from escaping (as long as this doesn't lessen his air supply.)

But, it sounds to me like you may need a new cage!

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (33254 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (14764 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (40303 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (8317 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (17177 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (10234 views)

Seizures or syncopal episodes? For some history, Bella is a 12 year old pug who is as healthy as you can expect a... (7676 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (58778 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (8087 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (7215 views)