Hamster escaping out lid.

Breed: syrain
hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten through the top lid plastic clips, and when i chews the bars the lid lifts up and my mum's very worried he will escape ive taken out hes wheel so he can't climb up to the lid but im still very worried about him escapeing out the hole on the top of he's wheel have you got any surgestions?

Hi and thanks for your question.

Hamsters can be quite resourceful and are very good at escaping if their cages are not well secured.

If the clips that hold the lid closed are chewed through then you may need to get yourself a new cage. You may want to try something different than a rody cage such as a cage with wire bars and a more secure latch.

It's hard for me to say without seeing your cage but you could potentially put a heavy book over the lid to keep him from escaping (as long as this doesn't lessen his air supply.)

But, it sounds to me like you may need a new cage!

Itchy lump on eyelid. I have a 2 year old Shepherd mix, and he has developed a pink mole/growth on his... (6195 views)

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (4090 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (3806 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (19786 views)

Seizures...brain tumor? Hello Dr. Marie, I have an interesting scenario for you. Our Aussie is 13 and as... (4729 views)

Not eating and vomiting. Our Dog won't eat and drinks very little if any. Friday last weekend Harper's... (13858 views)

Large abdomen in cat. We have an 18+ year old cat who is thin and bony, but has a 20" diameter potbelly... (10442 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (22874 views)

Dog on You Don't Mess with the Zohan. ok im very stressed what type of dog is on the movie You Don't Mess With The Zohan?... (11526 views)

Dog shaking head. My dog is thought to have ear mites (I thought this only happened to outside dogs??)... (12909 views)