Hamster escaping out lid.

Breed: syrain
hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten through the top lid plastic clips, and when i chews the bars the lid lifts up and my mum's very worried he will escape ive taken out hes wheel so he can't climb up to the lid but im still very worried about him escapeing out the hole on the top of he's wheel have you got any surgestions?

Hi and thanks for your question.

Hamsters can be quite resourceful and are very good at escaping if their cages are not well secured.

If the clips that hold the lid closed are chewed through then you may need to get yourself a new cage. You may want to try something different than a rody cage such as a cage with wire bars and a more secure latch.

It's hard for me to say without seeing your cage but you could potentially put a heavy book over the lid to keep him from escaping (as long as this doesn't lessen his air supply.)

But, it sounds to me like you may need a new cage!

Chronic pancreatitis flareup. Kasma is currently being treated for chronic pancreatitis...she's been on... (9478 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (20588 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (10475 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (53101 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (21520 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (19286 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (18631 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (15732 views)

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (18273 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (23204 views)