Hamster escaping out lid.

Breed: syrain
hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten through the top lid plastic clips, and when i chews the bars the lid lifts up and my mum's very worried he will escape ive taken out hes wheel so he can't climb up to the lid but im still very worried about him escapeing out the hole on the top of he's wheel have you got any surgestions?

Hi and thanks for your question.

Hamsters can be quite resourceful and are very good at escaping if their cages are not well secured.

If the clips that hold the lid closed are chewed through then you may need to get yourself a new cage. You may want to try something different than a rody cage such as a cage with wire bars and a more secure latch.

It's hard for me to say without seeing your cage but you could potentially put a heavy book over the lid to keep him from escaping (as long as this doesn't lessen his air supply.)

But, it sounds to me like you may need a new cage!

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (7145 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (7858 views)

All cats in house getting sick. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a household of 6, normally healthy cats. Lately, we have... (4451 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (14515 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (25827 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (13852 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (9567 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (16402 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (20874 views)

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (8679 views)