Hamster escaping out lid.

Breed: syrain
hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten through the top lid plastic clips, and when i chews the bars the lid lifts up and my mum's very worried he will escape ive taken out hes wheel so he can't climb up to the lid but im still very worried about him escapeing out the hole on the top of he's wheel have you got any surgestions?

Hi and thanks for your question.

Hamsters can be quite resourceful and are very good at escaping if their cages are not well secured.

If the clips that hold the lid closed are chewed through then you may need to get yourself a new cage. You may want to try something different than a rody cage such as a cage with wire bars and a more secure latch.

It's hard for me to say without seeing your cage but you could potentially put a heavy book over the lid to keep him from escaping (as long as this doesn't lessen his air supply.)

But, it sounds to me like you may need a new cage!

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (13388 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea and red eyes. Hi Dr. Marie, My cat Mercy is 6 years old and is an indoor cat (she is deaf). ... (10720 views)

Pass away at home? Potter is almost 13. About 4 months ago he was diagnosed with diabetes and we... (6514 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (22077 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (3758 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (12313 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (7771 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (7344 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (11277 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (12665 views)