Hamster escaping out lid.

Breed: syrain
hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten through the top lid plastic clips, and when i chews the bars the lid lifts up and my mum's very worried he will escape ive taken out hes wheel so he can't climb up to the lid but im still very worried about him escapeing out the hole on the top of he's wheel have you got any surgestions?

Hi and thanks for your question.

Hamsters can be quite resourceful and are very good at escaping if their cages are not well secured.

If the clips that hold the lid closed are chewed through then you may need to get yourself a new cage. You may want to try something different than a rody cage such as a cage with wire bars and a more secure latch.

It's hard for me to say without seeing your cage but you could potentially put a heavy book over the lid to keep him from escaping (as long as this doesn't lessen his air supply.)

But, it sounds to me like you may need a new cage!

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (17012 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (9170 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (16985 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (20166 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (12183 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (10885 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (16609 views)

Found bug in dog's ear. Hello, My name is Karroll I have a 4 year old Chihuahua. Lattly he has been... (11003 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (10478 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (6646 views)