Tumor grew back.

Breed: DSH
Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf ball, fiberous type tumor, just forward of his right hip. This was about two months ago. now, there are lumps coming back, about the size of a small marble right now. The Vet said the the tumor was fiberous and will probalbly come back. We do not think we want to put our cat through this ordeal to remove more tumors, wear the cone, and cause Chester allot of stress. What would we expect if we do not have any more tumors removed, what would life be like for our Chester? how long do you think he would have a decent quality of life? If we do remove the tumors now, how many more times in the future will we do the same thing? Would you want to see pictures? would that help you? Thank you for your help. Karl and Jeri Jacobi, Valley Springs, CA.

I'm so sorry to hear about Chester's tumors. Unfortunately this type of tumor is one that often will come back and when it does it is often more aggressive at growing than when it first appeared. I don't blame you for not wanting to have another surgery. In fact, the chances that a second surgery would cure this are probably very small.

Most of these tumors are not painful. However, at some point they will get to the point where they are causing distress. As they continue to grow they can ulcerate and start to leak fluid. They can also get to the point where they do cause some pain because the tumors are affecting nerves or too much muscle.

It is hard to say how quickly this will happen. It could be several months. But it could be just a couple of weeks.

Your vet will be the best person to advise you when it comes to making decisions but I would say that it is time to consider euthanasia if you notice the following:

-The tumor is open and leaking pus
-Chester is bothered by it and licking it a lot
-Chester starts to limp on the leg
-If his appetite decreases significantly as this can be a sign of pain

I wish I had better news for you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you for your reponse Dr. Marie, have a blessed day.

Is my dog hypothyroid? My bichon is obese. She weighs 35 lbs but is also taller than my other bichon who... (5694 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (11535 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (5647 views)

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (11303 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (22336 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (13017 views)

Can dogs take human antibiotics? Can dogs take human antibiotics or triple creams for... (12595 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (17830 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (12552 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (5478 views)