Tumor grew back.

Breed: DSH
Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf ball, fiberous type tumor, just forward of his right hip. This was about two months ago. now, there are lumps coming back, about the size of a small marble right now. The Vet said the the tumor was fiberous and will probalbly come back. We do not think we want to put our cat through this ordeal to remove more tumors, wear the cone, and cause Chester allot of stress. What would we expect if we do not have any more tumors removed, what would life be like for our Chester? how long do you think he would have a decent quality of life? If we do remove the tumors now, how many more times in the future will we do the same thing? Would you want to see pictures? would that help you? Thank you for your help. Karl and Jeri Jacobi, Valley Springs, CA.

I'm so sorry to hear about Chester's tumors. Unfortunately this type of tumor is one that often will come back and when it does it is often more aggressive at growing than when it first appeared. I don't blame you for not wanting to have another surgery. In fact, the chances that a second surgery would cure this are probably very small.

Most of these tumors are not painful. However, at some point they will get to the point where they are causing distress. As they continue to grow they can ulcerate and start to leak fluid. They can also get to the point where they do cause some pain because the tumors are affecting nerves or too much muscle.

It is hard to say how quickly this will happen. It could be several months. But it could be just a couple of weeks.

Your vet will be the best person to advise you when it comes to making decisions but I would say that it is time to consider euthanasia if you notice the following:

-The tumor is open and leaking pus
-Chester is bothered by it and licking it a lot
-Chester starts to limp on the leg
-If his appetite decreases significantly as this can be a sign of pain

I wish I had better news for you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you for your reponse Dr. Marie, have a blessed day.

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (5793 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (10836 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (20268 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (34272 views)

Positive leishmaniasis test. my dog has just had a blood test result for leishmans the result is 0.1 and requires... (6675 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (6877 views)

Lump on dog's neck. Hi Dr Marie We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a... (17617 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (5503 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (4887 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (4918 views)