Tumor grew back.

Breed: DSH
Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf ball, fiberous type tumor, just forward of his right hip. This was about two months ago. now, there are lumps coming back, about the size of a small marble right now. The Vet said the the tumor was fiberous and will probalbly come back. We do not think we want to put our cat through this ordeal to remove more tumors, wear the cone, and cause Chester allot of stress. What would we expect if we do not have any more tumors removed, what would life be like for our Chester? how long do you think he would have a decent quality of life? If we do remove the tumors now, how many more times in the future will we do the same thing? Would you want to see pictures? would that help you? Thank you for your help. Karl and Jeri Jacobi, Valley Springs, CA.

I'm so sorry to hear about Chester's tumors. Unfortunately this type of tumor is one that often will come back and when it does it is often more aggressive at growing than when it first appeared. I don't blame you for not wanting to have another surgery. In fact, the chances that a second surgery would cure this are probably very small.

Most of these tumors are not painful. However, at some point they will get to the point where they are causing distress. As they continue to grow they can ulcerate and start to leak fluid. They can also get to the point where they do cause some pain because the tumors are affecting nerves or too much muscle.

It is hard to say how quickly this will happen. It could be several months. But it could be just a couple of weeks.

Your vet will be the best person to advise you when it comes to making decisions but I would say that it is time to consider euthanasia if you notice the following:

-The tumor is open and leaking pus
-Chester is bothered by it and licking it a lot
-Chester starts to limp on the leg
-If his appetite decreases significantly as this can be a sign of pain

I wish I had better news for you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you for your reponse Dr. Marie, have a blessed day.

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (56516 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (6305 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (16638 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (6857 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (16428 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (7760 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (7619 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (14231 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (3793 views)

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (10592 views)