Tumor grew back.

Breed: DSH
Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf ball, fiberous type tumor, just forward of his right hip. This was about two months ago. now, there are lumps coming back, about the size of a small marble right now. The Vet said the the tumor was fiberous and will probalbly come back. We do not think we want to put our cat through this ordeal to remove more tumors, wear the cone, and cause Chester allot of stress. What would we expect if we do not have any more tumors removed, what would life be like for our Chester? how long do you think he would have a decent quality of life? If we do remove the tumors now, how many more times in the future will we do the same thing? Would you want to see pictures? would that help you? Thank you for your help. Karl and Jeri Jacobi, Valley Springs, CA.

I'm so sorry to hear about Chester's tumors. Unfortunately this type of tumor is one that often will come back and when it does it is often more aggressive at growing than when it first appeared. I don't blame you for not wanting to have another surgery. In fact, the chances that a second surgery would cure this are probably very small.

Most of these tumors are not painful. However, at some point they will get to the point where they are causing distress. As they continue to grow they can ulcerate and start to leak fluid. They can also get to the point where they do cause some pain because the tumors are affecting nerves or too much muscle.

It is hard to say how quickly this will happen. It could be several months. But it could be just a couple of weeks.

Your vet will be the best person to advise you when it comes to making decisions but I would say that it is time to consider euthanasia if you notice the following:

-The tumor is open and leaking pus
-Chester is bothered by it and licking it a lot
-Chester starts to limp on the leg
-If his appetite decreases significantly as this can be a sign of pain

I wish I had better news for you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you for your reponse Dr. Marie, have a blessed day.

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (9781 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (14093 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (25456 views)

Puppy with diarrhea My 14 week old Aussie, Max, had a pretty sudden case of diarrhea, today. I took him... (13897 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (38948 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (10185 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (9463 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (9789 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (107018 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (9242 views)