Tumor grew back.

Breed: DSH
Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf ball, fiberous type tumor, just forward of his right hip. This was about two months ago. now, there are lumps coming back, about the size of a small marble right now. The Vet said the the tumor was fiberous and will probalbly come back. We do not think we want to put our cat through this ordeal to remove more tumors, wear the cone, and cause Chester allot of stress. What would we expect if we do not have any more tumors removed, what would life be like for our Chester? how long do you think he would have a decent quality of life? If we do remove the tumors now, how many more times in the future will we do the same thing? Would you want to see pictures? would that help you? Thank you for your help. Karl and Jeri Jacobi, Valley Springs, CA.

I'm so sorry to hear about Chester's tumors. Unfortunately this type of tumor is one that often will come back and when it does it is often more aggressive at growing than when it first appeared. I don't blame you for not wanting to have another surgery. In fact, the chances that a second surgery would cure this are probably very small.

Most of these tumors are not painful. However, at some point they will get to the point where they are causing distress. As they continue to grow they can ulcerate and start to leak fluid. They can also get to the point where they do cause some pain because the tumors are affecting nerves or too much muscle.

It is hard to say how quickly this will happen. It could be several months. But it could be just a couple of weeks.

Your vet will be the best person to advise you when it comes to making decisions but I would say that it is time to consider euthanasia if you notice the following:

-The tumor is open and leaking pus
-Chester is bothered by it and licking it a lot
-Chester starts to limp on the leg
-If his appetite decreases significantly as this can be a sign of pain

I wish I had better news for you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you for your reponse Dr. Marie, have a blessed day.

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (18906 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (21244 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (9959 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (19682 views)

Puppy has red weepy eyes. my puppies eyelids on the inside are very red and his eyes have been weeping a lot,... (10861 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (11880 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (10103 views)

Red spots on dog's back. my dog scraches all the time i use oatmeal based shampoo--even given her phenergan... (5022 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (6721 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (9709 views)