Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo

Breed: Border Collie/Chow C

Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea and tick shampoo. Afterwards, I noticed he was licking his arms and legs heavily, and his eyes started tearing up and watering. I was worried there was chemical still left on his fur. It had gotten too cold outside to hose him off again, and my landlord won't allow me to use the indoor bathtub for him, so I wiped the fur off with a wet washcloth the best I could. He continued to lick, so, since I still had a plastic cone from the last time I had surgery, I put it on him so he couldn't lick until his fur dried.

This morning, I heated up water in a plastic bin and stood him in it to see if I could rinse him off more - it wasn't high enough to reach his underside, but I was able to rinse his legs. Afterwards he was licking his legs again.

Should I be concerned about poisoning and take him to the vet when I get home from work? He seemed completely fine when we got up in the morning, but I am worried.

Also - I'm worried that the water I used was too hot. I had to fill the plastic bin and rinse my dog off quickly before the landlord came in case he would have a problem with that. My dog was in the water for about 2 minutes before I realized it was too hot - so hot that I couldn't keep my hand in it for more than 10 seconds or so. When I realized that I put a lot more cold water in, and he seemed totally fine when I took him out. But I'm worried I might have burned his legs or it might have caused him some other problem.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Thanks for your question.

I looked up Sentry Pro flea and tick shampoo to get the ingredients. It contains primarily pyrethrins and permethrins. These products are usually safe for dogs even if some gets ingested. (They're definitely not safe for cats).

They can cause some salivating. The runny eyes were probably because of exposure to the chemicals, but this doesn't sound like a toxic reaction.

Signs of serious problems with pyrethrins include:
  • Extreme salivating

• Tremors

• Seizures

• Vomiting

• Diarrhea

It sounds like you did the right thing by trying to bathe Shadow to wash off some of the chemical to help him feel a little better. If he seemed perfectly fine this morning then it is very unlikely that he has a problem.

It's extremely unlikely that you did damage to him by using hot water. He definitely would have let you know if it was hot enough to burn him. Keep an eye on his skin but I think he will be fine.

Just as a side note, I find that pet store products simply do not work for fleas. I usually recommend a product like Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

It sounds like everything will be ok, but let me know if you have more questions!

Insulin shock Lucy is diabetic.She gets 4units 2x daily with food..Monday she started to have... (6777 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (14283 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (8191 views)

Rimady and kidney disease. I took my dog to the vet because she yelped when I rubbed her belly above her... (7981 views)

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (7221 views)

Ear infection. last year my dog came home with an infection after being groomed. she has been on 4... (20319 views)

Bruising on neck. My mini dachshund went in for a dental cleaning, which the vet said went as normal.... (11000 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (11587 views)

Sneezing dog. My 1 year old Chihuahua has been sneezing and reverse sneezing for the last couple... (25775 views)

Guinea Pig heat cycle. my female guinea pig has a swollen vulva which is very red. this happens once every... (31896 views)