Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo

Breed: Border Collie/Chow C

Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea and tick shampoo. Afterwards, I noticed he was licking his arms and legs heavily, and his eyes started tearing up and watering. I was worried there was chemical still left on his fur. It had gotten too cold outside to hose him off again, and my landlord won't allow me to use the indoor bathtub for him, so I wiped the fur off with a wet washcloth the best I could. He continued to lick, so, since I still had a plastic cone from the last time I had surgery, I put it on him so he couldn't lick until his fur dried.

This morning, I heated up water in a plastic bin and stood him in it to see if I could rinse him off more - it wasn't high enough to reach his underside, but I was able to rinse his legs. Afterwards he was licking his legs again.

Should I be concerned about poisoning and take him to the vet when I get home from work? He seemed completely fine when we got up in the morning, but I am worried.

Also - I'm worried that the water I used was too hot. I had to fill the plastic bin and rinse my dog off quickly before the landlord came in case he would have a problem with that. My dog was in the water for about 2 minutes before I realized it was too hot - so hot that I couldn't keep my hand in it for more than 10 seconds or so. When I realized that I put a lot more cold water in, and he seemed totally fine when I took him out. But I'm worried I might have burned his legs or it might have caused him some other problem.

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Thanks for your question.

I looked up Sentry Pro flea and tick shampoo to get the ingredients. It contains primarily pyrethrins and permethrins. These products are usually safe for dogs even if some gets ingested. (They're definitely not safe for cats).

They can cause some salivating. The runny eyes were probably because of exposure to the chemicals, but this doesn't sound like a toxic reaction.

Signs of serious problems with pyrethrins include:
  • Extreme salivating

• Tremors

• Seizures

• Vomiting

• Diarrhea

It sounds like you did the right thing by trying to bathe Shadow to wash off some of the chemical to help him feel a little better. If he seemed perfectly fine this morning then it is very unlikely that he has a problem.

It's extremely unlikely that you did damage to him by using hot water. He definitely would have let you know if it was hot enough to burn him. Keep an eye on his skin but I think he will be fine.

Just as a side note, I find that pet store products simply do not work for fleas. I usually recommend a product like Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

It sounds like everything will be ok, but let me know if you have more questions!

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (8379 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (19789 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (59264 views)

Breed dog on next heat? I am interested in breeding my dog when she comes in to heat. What do I need to... (9210 views)

Reusing thermometers I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues... (11788 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7703 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (9727 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (14295 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (33111 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (9991 views)