Phenobarbital and Zonisamide.

Breed: miniature poodle
Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages 1/month) with a combination of Phenobarbital and Potassium Bromide. His latest Bile Acid level was 45.1, up from 27.6 six months ago. His ALP and GGT levels have always been high according to my vet because of the phen barb.
He has recommended we transition him off the phen barb and on to 100 mg Zonisamide taking them both as we taper off the phen barb slowly.
Does this sound like a good idea to you or should we have further tests done to verify the most recent Bile Acid test and/or liver damage? He has a bad tooth to deal with at the same time. Can a decaying tooth effect the Bile Acid level?
We are planning on taking care of the tooth first then dealing with the medication transition. The last time he had a tooth removed he had his worst seizure to date.
Would love your opinion on this. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear about Ziggy's recent problems. Seizures can be very frustrating to deal with. A bile acid level of 45.1 does indeed sound high. High bile acids can often be a sign that the liver function is impaired, and as we know that phenobarbital can be hard on the liver, it's not wise to stay on it if there is risk of liver damage. There is certainly no harm in asking your vet to repeat the bile acids test as occasionally we can get misleading results.

But, it does sound like your vet is doing the same things that I would do.

It's unlikely that a dental issue would affect the bile acids, so I wouldn't think that this is the problem.

If you do transition the medications (which sounds like the wise things to do) I hope things go well.

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (26501 views)

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (15887 views)

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (18695 views)

Melanoma in mouth of dog. My dog has melanoma for the second time. She first got it in her mouth about two... (16650 views)

Bumps on dog's chin. my dog has some bumps under her mouth and one on the side of her mouth. they were... (44475 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (7824 views)

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (8807 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (41545 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (27298 views)

High LDDS and ALKP Hello Dr. Marie You might remember me and Oreo from past questions? Well, Oreo... (7761 views)