Phenobarbital and Zonisamide.

Breed: miniature poodle
Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages 1/month) with a combination of Phenobarbital and Potassium Bromide. His latest Bile Acid level was 45.1, up from 27.6 six months ago. His ALP and GGT levels have always been high according to my vet because of the phen barb.
He has recommended we transition him off the phen barb and on to 100 mg Zonisamide taking them both as we taper off the phen barb slowly.
Does this sound like a good idea to you or should we have further tests done to verify the most recent Bile Acid test and/or liver damage? He has a bad tooth to deal with at the same time. Can a decaying tooth effect the Bile Acid level?
We are planning on taking care of the tooth first then dealing with the medication transition. The last time he had a tooth removed he had his worst seizure to date.
Would love your opinion on this. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear about Ziggy's recent problems. Seizures can be very frustrating to deal with. A bile acid level of 45.1 does indeed sound high. High bile acids can often be a sign that the liver function is impaired, and as we know that phenobarbital can be hard on the liver, it's not wise to stay on it if there is risk of liver damage. There is certainly no harm in asking your vet to repeat the bile acids test as occasionally we can get misleading results.

But, it does sound like your vet is doing the same things that I would do.

It's unlikely that a dental issue would affect the bile acids, so I wouldn't think that this is the problem.

If you do transition the medications (which sounds like the wise things to do) I hope things go well.

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (7750 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (22079 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (5814 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (10011 views)

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (18832 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (12305 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (7891 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (30620 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (58279 views)

Kitten died after anesthetic. Dear Dr. Marie, We are heartbroken. Our 5 MONTH old spyhnx kitten passed away... (7905 views)