Phenobarbital and Zonisamide.

Breed: miniature poodle
Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages 1/month) with a combination of Phenobarbital and Potassium Bromide. His latest Bile Acid level was 45.1, up from 27.6 six months ago. His ALP and GGT levels have always been high according to my vet because of the phen barb.
He has recommended we transition him off the phen barb and on to 100 mg Zonisamide taking them both as we taper off the phen barb slowly.
Does this sound like a good idea to you or should we have further tests done to verify the most recent Bile Acid test and/or liver damage? He has a bad tooth to deal with at the same time. Can a decaying tooth effect the Bile Acid level?
We are planning on taking care of the tooth first then dealing with the medication transition. The last time he had a tooth removed he had his worst seizure to date.
Would love your opinion on this. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear about Ziggy's recent problems. Seizures can be very frustrating to deal with. A bile acid level of 45.1 does indeed sound high. High bile acids can often be a sign that the liver function is impaired, and as we know that phenobarbital can be hard on the liver, it's not wise to stay on it if there is risk of liver damage. There is certainly no harm in asking your vet to repeat the bile acids test as occasionally we can get misleading results.

But, it does sound like your vet is doing the same things that I would do.

It's unlikely that a dental issue would affect the bile acids, so I wouldn't think that this is the problem.

If you do transition the medications (which sounds like the wise things to do) I hope things go well.

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (12586 views)

Genetic defects in a puppy. my dog has tapeworms and she gave birth to four puppies.one was born really skinny... (9974 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (29534 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (9326 views)

Dog licking other dog's ear. My roommate's pit/lab mix Champ is moderately obsessed with licking/chewing on my... (54323 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (10154 views)

Chlamydia contagious? Can dogs get chlamydia? I encountered information regarding oral chlamydia&don't... (9804 views)

Dog seizured while boarding. Last March, I boarded Niko at the vet while on vacation. Until then he had been a... (12160 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (10196 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (23758 views)