Phenobarbital and Zonisamide.

Breed: miniature poodle
Ziggy had cluster seizures as a puppy and we have been controlling them (averages 1/month) with a combination of Phenobarbital and Potassium Bromide. His latest Bile Acid level was 45.1, up from 27.6 six months ago. His ALP and GGT levels have always been high according to my vet because of the phen barb.
He has recommended we transition him off the phen barb and on to 100 mg Zonisamide taking them both as we taper off the phen barb slowly.
Does this sound like a good idea to you or should we have further tests done to verify the most recent Bile Acid test and/or liver damage? He has a bad tooth to deal with at the same time. Can a decaying tooth effect the Bile Acid level?
We are planning on taking care of the tooth first then dealing with the medication transition. The last time he had a tooth removed he had his worst seizure to date.
Would love your opinion on this. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear about Ziggy's recent problems. Seizures can be very frustrating to deal with. A bile acid level of 45.1 does indeed sound high. High bile acids can often be a sign that the liver function is impaired, and as we know that phenobarbital can be hard on the liver, it's not wise to stay on it if there is risk of liver damage. There is certainly no harm in asking your vet to repeat the bile acids test as occasionally we can get misleading results.

But, it does sound like your vet is doing the same things that I would do.

It's unlikely that a dental issue would affect the bile acids, so I wouldn't think that this is the problem.

If you do transition the medications (which sounds like the wise things to do) I hope things go well.

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (7673 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (8847 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8264 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (15318 views)

Lump on paw pad. Hi Dr. Marie! Baileys is a patient of yours at Beechwood Animal Hospital. We were... (44776 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (45437 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (11202 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (14871 views)

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (137372 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (15989 views)