Cat pulling hair out of stomach.

Breed: standard
Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a patch of black skin about 2 inches in diameter, somewhat thicker and rougher than the surrounding whitish skin, that is growing. His fur is black.

He has been to two vets and use of Depo medrol, conofite lotion and a fungal culture have provided no clue to the problem. We have changed his litter brand. He seems healthy otherwise.

I could send you a photo. . . .

Hi and thanks for your question! Just so you know, this month 100% of our profits are going to support the Ottawa Humane Society's building project, so thanks for helping us support this worthy cause.

What you are describing with your cat sounds very unusual. I have a few questions for you before I see if I can help:

-was there any improvement at all after the depo medrol injection?
-Does the dark spot seem to be growing?
-Does the dark spot itself seem to be itchy to him?

I'd love to see a picture. You can send any pics you have to drmarie@askavetquestion.com. I will be online for a few more minutes and then back again this evening.

Thanks for the picture Kay...that is definitely an unusual lesion. I can't say that I have ever seen anything exactly like that.

Sometimes we can see pigment changes simply from chronic licking. And some cats can lick as a result of "stress". I say stress in quotes because really cats who do this are not stressed like we know stress but rather the cat has some type of anxiety issues. The licking could also be due to allergies of some sort.

However, because the black area is so unusual, if this were my case I would definitely be doing a biopsy of the area. For most cats we could do this with a local anesthetic. It may cost around $300 or so, but it is definitely worth it.

If the biopsy tells us that we are simply dealing with a lesion caused by chronic licking then we can take steps to stop the licking such as trying a hypoallergenic food or temporarily trying some anti-anxiety medicine.

Another diagnosis we may get on biopsy is something called an eosinophilic plaque. These are generally treated by an injection of steroid (which is much more powerful than a cream). Some cats need 2 or 3 shots a few weeks apart before they go away.

It is unlikely to be a cancer, but this would also be something I would be asking the pathologist who looks at the biopsy to look for.

I hope this info helps!

Let me know if you have more questions.

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (15883 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (24910 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (7498 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (12544 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (35827 views)

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (58168 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6195 views)

Boxer with distended stomach and pale gums ******Urgent Please******CAN NOT AFFORD UPGRADE [Editor's Note: Questions are... (17353 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (4287 views)

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (10175 views)