Cat pulling hair out of stomach.

Breed: standard
Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a patch of black skin about 2 inches in diameter, somewhat thicker and rougher than the surrounding whitish skin, that is growing. His fur is black.

He has been to two vets and use of Depo medrol, conofite lotion and a fungal culture have provided no clue to the problem. We have changed his litter brand. He seems healthy otherwise.

I could send you a photo. . . .

Hi and thanks for your question! Just so you know, this month 100% of our profits are going to support the Ottawa Humane Society's building project, so thanks for helping us support this worthy cause.

What you are describing with your cat sounds very unusual. I have a few questions for you before I see if I can help:

-was there any improvement at all after the depo medrol injection?
-Does the dark spot seem to be growing?
-Does the dark spot itself seem to be itchy to him?

I'd love to see a picture. You can send any pics you have to drmarie@askavetquestion.com. I will be online for a few more minutes and then back again this evening.

Thanks for the picture Kay...that is definitely an unusual lesion. I can't say that I have ever seen anything exactly like that.

Sometimes we can see pigment changes simply from chronic licking. And some cats can lick as a result of "stress". I say stress in quotes because really cats who do this are not stressed like we know stress but rather the cat has some type of anxiety issues. The licking could also be due to allergies of some sort.

However, because the black area is so unusual, if this were my case I would definitely be doing a biopsy of the area. For most cats we could do this with a local anesthetic. It may cost around $300 or so, but it is definitely worth it.

If the biopsy tells us that we are simply dealing with a lesion caused by chronic licking then we can take steps to stop the licking such as trying a hypoallergenic food or temporarily trying some anti-anxiety medicine.

Another diagnosis we may get on biopsy is something called an eosinophilic plaque. These are generally treated by an injection of steroid (which is much more powerful than a cream). Some cats need 2 or 3 shots a few weeks apart before they go away.

It is unlikely to be a cancer, but this would also be something I would be asking the pathologist who looks at the biopsy to look for.

I hope this info helps!

Let me know if you have more questions.

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (7070 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (15563 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (19023 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (10984 views)

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (11969 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (6662 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (11392 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (7115 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (24186 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (7415 views)