Mark on dog's nose.

Breed: Toy Fox Terrier
Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy breed. Overall he is healthy and has only experienced one setback with a loose tooth (which was handled in 2012). Following the tooth issue he has resumed normal activity. As of 11/29/13 I observed a mark on top of his nose. The area is very rough and dry to the touch. It is raised from the rest of the skin by a very small amount (maybe a mm or so) and is a reddish brown color. I've witnessed similar issues on our other dog and hers went away, I never did know what it was because it wasn't there long enough for her vet to see it. Maybe you could help me! What does this look like to you?

https://fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/s720x720/1461619_10201297437782227_1707405810_n.jpg

Thanks in advance for your assistance. ^_^

Thank you for this excellent photo:

spot above dog's nose

While I can't tell you exactly what this is without examining Koko, I can tell you that it doesn't look like something to be worried about. It looks like a little bit of extra pigmentation. I've seen this in dogs who like to root about in the dirt or other places with their noses. In these cases it's probably just irritation from rubbing it.

I would likely ignore this for now. If it starts to get really bothersome, red or irritated then it would be worthwhile to have a vet take a look.

There are autoimmune conditions that can start off looking like this such as pemphigus or discoid lupus. However, these conditions are quite rare. I would say that 99% of the time when I have seen a nose that looks like this it is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Will one grape hurt my dog? (110034 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (21249 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (13728 views)

Is Frontline working for fleas? I live in Iowa and rescued a black Pug from a family in July. The previous owner... (17976 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (16207 views)

Should this tumor be removed? My neice's 8-month old cavoodle has a growth on his shoulder. When we first noticed... (13172 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (14998 views)

Why did my dog die? Hi, My dog died recently. She was 11 yr.s 9 mo.s old, about 55-60 lbs.,... (152745 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (8550 views)

Biopsy? Dr, As you know Max has been having issues with vomiting and soft stools. 9... (8158 views)