Mark on dog's nose.

Breed: Toy Fox Terrier
Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy breed. Overall he is healthy and has only experienced one setback with a loose tooth (which was handled in 2012). Following the tooth issue he has resumed normal activity. As of 11/29/13 I observed a mark on top of his nose. The area is very rough and dry to the touch. It is raised from the rest of the skin by a very small amount (maybe a mm or so) and is a reddish brown color. I've witnessed similar issues on our other dog and hers went away, I never did know what it was because it wasn't there long enough for her vet to see it. Maybe you could help me! What does this look like to you?

https://fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/s720x720/1461619_10201297437782227_1707405810_n.jpg

Thanks in advance for your assistance. ^_^

Thank you for this excellent photo:

spot above dog's nose

While I can't tell you exactly what this is without examining Koko, I can tell you that it doesn't look like something to be worried about. It looks like a little bit of extra pigmentation. I've seen this in dogs who like to root about in the dirt or other places with their noses. In these cases it's probably just irritation from rubbing it.

I would likely ignore this for now. If it starts to get really bothersome, red or irritated then it would be worthwhile to have a vet take a look.

There are autoimmune conditions that can start off looking like this such as pemphigus or discoid lupus. However, these conditions are quite rare. I would say that 99% of the time when I have seen a nose that looks like this it is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Lab swallowed a shotgun shell. my 4 month old Lab pup swallowed a shotgun shell. What do you suggest i... (9287 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (6900 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (14690 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (48318 views)

Beagle has lots of problems. I found my Beagle Lucky as a stray almost a year ago, he is around 4 years old. I... (6358 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (9153 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (13426 views)

Boxer grinding teeth. my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this... (49340 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (18594 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (7402 views)