Mark on dog's nose.

Breed: Toy Fox Terrier
Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy breed. Overall he is healthy and has only experienced one setback with a loose tooth (which was handled in 2012). Following the tooth issue he has resumed normal activity. As of 11/29/13 I observed a mark on top of his nose. The area is very rough and dry to the touch. It is raised from the rest of the skin by a very small amount (maybe a mm or so) and is a reddish brown color. I've witnessed similar issues on our other dog and hers went away, I never did know what it was because it wasn't there long enough for her vet to see it. Maybe you could help me! What does this look like to you?

https://fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/s720x720/1461619_10201297437782227_1707405810_n.jpg

Thanks in advance for your assistance. ^_^

Thank you for this excellent photo:

spot above dog's nose

While I can't tell you exactly what this is without examining Koko, I can tell you that it doesn't look like something to be worried about. It looks like a little bit of extra pigmentation. I've seen this in dogs who like to root about in the dirt or other places with their noses. In these cases it's probably just irritation from rubbing it.

I would likely ignore this for now. If it starts to get really bothersome, red or irritated then it would be worthwhile to have a vet take a look.

There are autoimmune conditions that can start off looking like this such as pemphigus or discoid lupus. However, these conditions are quite rare. I would say that 99% of the time when I have seen a nose that looks like this it is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (26818 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (32560 views)

Vomiting undigested food. I read in a magazine Woman's World about your service to give pet medical advice. My... (20395 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (16525 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (21651 views)

Will spay terminate pregnancy? It is a possibility my dog might be pregnant. But my mom wants to get her spayed... (14954 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (28299 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (10809 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (8995 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (11006 views)