Mark on dog's nose.

Breed: Toy Fox Terrier
Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy breed. Overall he is healthy and has only experienced one setback with a loose tooth (which was handled in 2012). Following the tooth issue he has resumed normal activity. As of 11/29/13 I observed a mark on top of his nose. The area is very rough and dry to the touch. It is raised from the rest of the skin by a very small amount (maybe a mm or so) and is a reddish brown color. I've witnessed similar issues on our other dog and hers went away, I never did know what it was because it wasn't there long enough for her vet to see it. Maybe you could help me! What does this look like to you?

https://fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/s720x720/1461619_10201297437782227_1707405810_n.jpg

Thanks in advance for your assistance. ^_^

Thank you for this excellent photo:

spot above dog's nose

While I can't tell you exactly what this is without examining Koko, I can tell you that it doesn't look like something to be worried about. It looks like a little bit of extra pigmentation. I've seen this in dogs who like to root about in the dirt or other places with their noses. In these cases it's probably just irritation from rubbing it.

I would likely ignore this for now. If it starts to get really bothersome, red or irritated then it would be worthwhile to have a vet take a look.

There are autoimmune conditions that can start off looking like this such as pemphigus or discoid lupus. However, these conditions are quite rare. I would say that 99% of the time when I have seen a nose that looks like this it is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Cat's heart rate question. Does the heart-rate depend on the age of the... (7192 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (9129 views)

Itchy and meowing. Hi my female cat is 14 she has been very itchy lately she is a indoor cat only she's... (6408 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (7588 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7328 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (13797 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (45568 views)

Diarrhea with canned food. We have only had goliath for 5 months. all my other cats I would give them a little... (5063 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (10456 views)

Only one bowel movement. My 2 month old shih tzu only poops in the morning. He eats dog food soaked in water... (9720 views)