Tracheal collapse.

Breed: yorkshire terrier
I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will definitely go into a severe case of trachea collapse where they can't breath and get the honking cough. Right now he just does the quick gag cough about twice a day if that. could it just stay at the mild stage. I was told by another vet that he had a collapse trachea because of what I told her he did and she pressed on his neck and he did the quick fast cough. Thanks

Thanks for your question. I have seen a good number of dogs with collapsed trachea who never have serious issues.

There really isn't a way to determine whether this is going to be a serious issue for your dog. If things get worse though there are medications that can help such as bronchodilators that help to open up the airways. Or, if it gets really bad you could ask your vet about the possibility of surgery. The surgery that is sometimes done is one where a prosthetic ring is placed in the airway to keep it open.

But, again, it is possible that your little guy may just have the occasional cough for the rest of his life.

Thanks for getting back to me. I know there is no guarantees in life but it is good to know that you have had cases where it didn't go into a severe case. Praying he just gets the occasional cough for the rest of his life. Mindy

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (9357 views)

Black scab on anus Good day Dr. Marie, I read one of your previous questions and answer about a dog... (56267 views)

Dental problems and weight loss. i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice... (18104 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (12951 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (19590 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (17700 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (9216 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (49193 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (6618 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (6683 views)