Tracheal collapse.

Breed: yorkshire terrier
I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will definitely go into a severe case of trachea collapse where they can't breath and get the honking cough. Right now he just does the quick gag cough about twice a day if that. could it just stay at the mild stage. I was told by another vet that he had a collapse trachea because of what I told her he did and she pressed on his neck and he did the quick fast cough. Thanks

Thanks for your question. I have seen a good number of dogs with collapsed trachea who never have serious issues.

There really isn't a way to determine whether this is going to be a serious issue for your dog. If things get worse though there are medications that can help such as bronchodilators that help to open up the airways. Or, if it gets really bad you could ask your vet about the possibility of surgery. The surgery that is sometimes done is one where a prosthetic ring is placed in the airway to keep it open.

But, again, it is possible that your little guy may just have the occasional cough for the rest of his life.

Thanks for getting back to me. I know there is no guarantees in life but it is good to know that you have had cases where it didn't go into a severe case. Praying he just gets the occasional cough for the rest of his life. Mindy

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (5887 views)

Pancreatitis in dogs. A few days ago my little 8 pounds, 2 years old chihuahua was having an upset... (15413 views)

Dog on You Don't Mess with the Zohan. ok im very stressed what type of dog is on the movie You Don't Mess With The Zohan?... (11174 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (9788 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (16381 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (3720 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (14086 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (9011 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (25391 views)

Cat urinating in the house. We recently switched from clay cat litter to corn. We love it, but one of our two... (5831 views)