Tracheal collapse.

Breed: yorkshire terrier
I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will definitely go into a severe case of trachea collapse where they can't breath and get the honking cough. Right now he just does the quick gag cough about twice a day if that. could it just stay at the mild stage. I was told by another vet that he had a collapse trachea because of what I told her he did and she pressed on his neck and he did the quick fast cough. Thanks

Thanks for your question. I have seen a good number of dogs with collapsed trachea who never have serious issues.

There really isn't a way to determine whether this is going to be a serious issue for your dog. If things get worse though there are medications that can help such as bronchodilators that help to open up the airways. Or, if it gets really bad you could ask your vet about the possibility of surgery. The surgery that is sometimes done is one where a prosthetic ring is placed in the airway to keep it open.

But, again, it is possible that your little guy may just have the occasional cough for the rest of his life.

Thanks for getting back to me. I know there is no guarantees in life but it is good to know that you have had cases where it didn't go into a severe case. Praying he just gets the occasional cough for the rest of his life. Mindy

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (34308 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (28896 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (12936 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (45747 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (31227 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (18291 views)

Pooping in house. I got my dog Clyde on June 25, 2012. He is a 4 year-old Lhasa. His previous owners... (13312 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (40928 views)

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (27641 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (91990 views)