Tracheal collapse.

Breed: yorkshire terrier
I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will definitely go into a severe case of trachea collapse where they can't breath and get the honking cough. Right now he just does the quick gag cough about twice a day if that. could it just stay at the mild stage. I was told by another vet that he had a collapse trachea because of what I told her he did and she pressed on his neck and he did the quick fast cough. Thanks

Thanks for your question. I have seen a good number of dogs with collapsed trachea who never have serious issues.

There really isn't a way to determine whether this is going to be a serious issue for your dog. If things get worse though there are medications that can help such as bronchodilators that help to open up the airways. Or, if it gets really bad you could ask your vet about the possibility of surgery. The surgery that is sometimes done is one where a prosthetic ring is placed in the airway to keep it open.

But, again, it is possible that your little guy may just have the occasional cough for the rest of his life.

Thanks for getting back to me. I know there is no guarantees in life but it is good to know that you have had cases where it didn't go into a severe case. Praying he just gets the occasional cough for the rest of his life. Mindy

Unexplained fever in a dog. Hi Dr. Marie, My pit bull Indy has always been in pretty good health but has... (8918 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (34687 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (31337 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7442 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (8258 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (43190 views)

Surgery on 14 year old dog. Chyna has in the past few months developed a mass or cluster of lumps that are dark... (12018 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (13571 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9290 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (10390 views)