Tracheal collapse.

Breed: yorkshire terrier
I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will definitely go into a severe case of trachea collapse where they can't breath and get the honking cough. Right now he just does the quick gag cough about twice a day if that. could it just stay at the mild stage. I was told by another vet that he had a collapse trachea because of what I told her he did and she pressed on his neck and he did the quick fast cough. Thanks

Thanks for your question. I have seen a good number of dogs with collapsed trachea who never have serious issues.

There really isn't a way to determine whether this is going to be a serious issue for your dog. If things get worse though there are medications that can help such as bronchodilators that help to open up the airways. Or, if it gets really bad you could ask your vet about the possibility of surgery. The surgery that is sometimes done is one where a prosthetic ring is placed in the airway to keep it open.

But, again, it is possible that your little guy may just have the occasional cough for the rest of his life.

Thanks for getting back to me. I know there is no guarantees in life but it is good to know that you have had cases where it didn't go into a severe case. Praying he just gets the occasional cough for the rest of his life. Mindy

Should we do surgery? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat Gus will be 15 in 3 months. We have been working with his... (9431 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (4928 views)

Won't eat dog food. Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten... (6254 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (25566 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (41747 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (5617 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (55072 views)

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (34427 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (9398 views)

Ear Cleaning. I'd like to know is a vinegar and water solution a good home remedy for my dogs... (25156 views)