Tracheal collapse.

Breed: yorkshire terrier
I was wondering if a mild case of collapse trachea in a 5 month old puppy will definitely go into a severe case of trachea collapse where they can't breath and get the honking cough. Right now he just does the quick gag cough about twice a day if that. could it just stay at the mild stage. I was told by another vet that he had a collapse trachea because of what I told her he did and she pressed on his neck and he did the quick fast cough. Thanks

Thanks for your question. I have seen a good number of dogs with collapsed trachea who never have serious issues.

There really isn't a way to determine whether this is going to be a serious issue for your dog. If things get worse though there are medications that can help such as bronchodilators that help to open up the airways. Or, if it gets really bad you could ask your vet about the possibility of surgery. The surgery that is sometimes done is one where a prosthetic ring is placed in the airway to keep it open.

But, again, it is possible that your little guy may just have the occasional cough for the rest of his life.

Thanks for getting back to me. I know there is no guarantees in life but it is good to know that you have had cases where it didn't go into a severe case. Praying he just gets the occasional cough for the rest of his life. Mindy

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (17432 views)

Using elastic to remove lump. Rusty was diagnose with "cancer" after giving birth 4 years ago. It was recommended... (7032 views)

Can a dog get lice? Can my dog get lice... (5285 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (19796 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (25951 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (22650 views)

Wheatgrass for cats? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy... (21745 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (20763 views)

Kittens died. My 9-10 month old cat had five kittens. No problem delivering. Kittens seemed... (10785 views)

Reduce allergies to cats. I'm allergic to cats but I would love to have one. I've recently heard that there is... (7660 views)