Older cat with problems.

Breed: Russian Blue
Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously sick. For the past month, he's been sick. We first noticed something was wrong with him when he went to jump on the couch and he could not! He fell over. Then we saw him walk, and he was walking like he was all disoriented and dizzy. He stopped eating. He lost a ton of weight and was drinking a lot of water. His little head would be hunched over in his water bowl. So, we took him to the vet and we could not afford almost 400 dollars to have all the tests done. my husband and I are both unemployed at the moment. The vet gave us some amoxicillan and some injections. We gave him those for a week. After a week, he seemed like he was getting better. He was jumping on the counters, walking normal, eating again, but eating ALOT. He would want to eat ALL the time. He would follow us around wanting food all the time, so we thought that he was getting better. Well, for about 2 days now, he took a drastic change again. =( He will not eat. He is walking like he is drunk, and it seems as if his back legs are weak. He is pacing back and forth, like he doesn't know what to do with himself. He seems like he gets tired from walking, and rests in the middle of the floor all the time. He pees a LOT. A MASSIVE amount. He has been vomiting about three times a day. Last night he started to breathe heavily. I could hear him from across the room. He gags sometimes. He hunches over his waterbowl, and just hangs his head over the bowl. We called the vet and they gave us more amoxicillan, injections and an iv fluid bag. We gave him the iv fluids yesterday. The vet said it would flush out all the toxins if he has some sort of infection. Nothing is working so far. =( I have googled like a mad woman over and over again to try to diagnose my cat, and I have come up with Chronic Renal Failure, but Im not sure. I dont want to put him down if he isnt in pain, but he just doesnt act healthy or seem happy. Please give me your thoughts. Please tell me what you think this might be. It feels as if we are just waiting for him to die. =( I appreciate any help that you can give me. Thank you for your time, and thank you or what you do.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Derek is not feeling well.

The symptoms you described have me very concerned. Any time a cat is drinking and urinating a lot of water it is usually a sign of something serious.

When I look at all of these symptoms here are some of the things that I think of:

-Hyperthyroidism. Cats with hyperthyroidism will have an increase in appetite and can have serious blood pressure issues which could account for the dizziness. They often vomit. They will always lose weight.

-Renal disease - Cats with hyperthyroidism will often get renal disease. This is because the hyperthyroidism causes an increase in blood pressure which can have serious effects on the kidneys.

-Cancer - The weight loss makes me concerned about certain types of cancers.

-Diabetes - It's not common for an older cat to get diabetes though. Usually if this happens it is because of a tumor on the pancreas.

Unfortunately the only way to know what is going on is to do some blood tests. If this is plain hyperthyroidism then it can usually be treated quite easily with a medication that is not terribly expensive. If it's not hyperthyroidism though, it is likely something that is not going to get better.

I know this is hard, but if you are not able to afford the tests my next advice would be for euthanasia. Cats don't easily show us their pain and discomfort but from what you are describing it sounds like Derek is quite uncomfortable.

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (23835 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (7827 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (11947 views)

Possible cherry eye? My dog has red bags coming up from under his lower eye lids and covering half his... (8127 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (7138 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (65944 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (196639 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (82612 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome. Hi there, We had our beautiful, angel, female kitten spayed just over one month... (7273 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (31008 views)