Older cat with problems.

Breed: Russian Blue
Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously sick. For the past month, he's been sick. We first noticed something was wrong with him when he went to jump on the couch and he could not! He fell over. Then we saw him walk, and he was walking like he was all disoriented and dizzy. He stopped eating. He lost a ton of weight and was drinking a lot of water. His little head would be hunched over in his water bowl. So, we took him to the vet and we could not afford almost 400 dollars to have all the tests done. my husband and I are both unemployed at the moment. The vet gave us some amoxicillan and some injections. We gave him those for a week. After a week, he seemed like he was getting better. He was jumping on the counters, walking normal, eating again, but eating ALOT. He would want to eat ALL the time. He would follow us around wanting food all the time, so we thought that he was getting better. Well, for about 2 days now, he took a drastic change again. =( He will not eat. He is walking like he is drunk, and it seems as if his back legs are weak. He is pacing back and forth, like he doesn't know what to do with himself. He seems like he gets tired from walking, and rests in the middle of the floor all the time. He pees a LOT. A MASSIVE amount. He has been vomiting about three times a day. Last night he started to breathe heavily. I could hear him from across the room. He gags sometimes. He hunches over his waterbowl, and just hangs his head over the bowl. We called the vet and they gave us more amoxicillan, injections and an iv fluid bag. We gave him the iv fluids yesterday. The vet said it would flush out all the toxins if he has some sort of infection. Nothing is working so far. =( I have googled like a mad woman over and over again to try to diagnose my cat, and I have come up with Chronic Renal Failure, but Im not sure. I dont want to put him down if he isnt in pain, but he just doesnt act healthy or seem happy. Please give me your thoughts. Please tell me what you think this might be. It feels as if we are just waiting for him to die. =( I appreciate any help that you can give me. Thank you for your time, and thank you or what you do.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Derek is not feeling well.

The symptoms you described have me very concerned. Any time a cat is drinking and urinating a lot of water it is usually a sign of something serious.

When I look at all of these symptoms here are some of the things that I think of:

-Hyperthyroidism. Cats with hyperthyroidism will have an increase in appetite and can have serious blood pressure issues which could account for the dizziness. They often vomit. They will always lose weight.

-Renal disease - Cats with hyperthyroidism will often get renal disease. This is because the hyperthyroidism causes an increase in blood pressure which can have serious effects on the kidneys.

-Cancer - The weight loss makes me concerned about certain types of cancers.

-Diabetes - It's not common for an older cat to get diabetes though. Usually if this happens it is because of a tumor on the pancreas.

Unfortunately the only way to know what is going on is to do some blood tests. If this is plain hyperthyroidism then it can usually be treated quite easily with a medication that is not terribly expensive. If it's not hyperthyroidism though, it is likely something that is not going to get better.

I know this is hard, but if you are not able to afford the tests my next advice would be for euthanasia. Cats don't easily show us their pain and discomfort but from what you are describing it sounds like Derek is quite uncomfortable.

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (7458 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (13182 views)

Roundworm in cats. my kitten has round worm and i can't afford a trip to the vet can you please offer... (6054 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (12493 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (10136 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (12556 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (21918 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13895 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (65393 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (11067 views)