Advil for arthritis?

Breed: Golden Retriever/Cho
Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have to get "canine" anti-inflammatories from a vet?

There are no over the counter anti-inflammatories that are really safe to use in dogs. The products that you get from a vet are much safer and much more effective.

Before we had good, safe anti-inflammatories we would sometimes prescribe aspirin for arthritis. But dogs can get a number of side effects on aspirin including:

• Vomiting

• Stomach ulcers

• Kidney damage

• Bleeding problems

While some dogs do fine on aspirin, some dogs can have serious side effects that can even be life threatening.

Advil is not recommended for dogs as it is very hard on their kidneys.

Some dogs can take tylenol but it doesn't tend to work very well. Tylenol can be hard on a dog's liver as well.

Dogs can have glucosamine for arthritis. You can buy this without a prescription. But, no one regulates how much glucosamine is actually in a bottle of glucosamine. This means that some of the less expensive types of glucosamine are really not very effective.

In my experience Glucosamine is not as effective as non-steroidal drugs like Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, or Previcox.

I always recommend a vet visit for dogs with suspected arthritis. Sometimes what we think is arthritis pain is actually something else!

Scabs on cat's ear and neck. Hi. I adopted a cat and she was doing fine. I noticed that she was loosing hair in... (17579 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (15763 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (8509 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (13967 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (7253 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (9057 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (7881 views)

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (15853 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (9893 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (17002 views)