Advil for arthritis?

Breed: Golden Retriever/Cho
Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have to get "canine" anti-inflammatories from a vet?

There are no over the counter anti-inflammatories that are really safe to use in dogs. The products that you get from a vet are much safer and much more effective.

Before we had good, safe anti-inflammatories we would sometimes prescribe aspirin for arthritis. But dogs can get a number of side effects on aspirin including:

• Vomiting

• Stomach ulcers

• Kidney damage

• Bleeding problems

While some dogs do fine on aspirin, some dogs can have serious side effects that can even be life threatening.

Advil is not recommended for dogs as it is very hard on their kidneys.

Some dogs can take tylenol but it doesn't tend to work very well. Tylenol can be hard on a dog's liver as well.

Dogs can have glucosamine for arthritis. You can buy this without a prescription. But, no one regulates how much glucosamine is actually in a bottle of glucosamine. This means that some of the less expensive types of glucosamine are really not very effective.

In my experience Glucosamine is not as effective as non-steroidal drugs like Metacam, Rimadyl, Deramaxx, or Previcox.

I always recommend a vet visit for dogs with suspected arthritis. Sometimes what we think is arthritis pain is actually something else!

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (10666 views)

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (6892 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (5428 views)

Cats not eating. Viral Infection in Throat? I have 3 cats at home (in Singapore, Asia). 1... (10757 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7389 views)

Help cats to get along. Hello my name is kristbjorg and im from iceland. I have a cat thats 8 months old... (7561 views)

Can I feed raw veggies? Is it alright to feed our dog fresh, raw pieces of vegetables-like celery, green... (8131 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (9203 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (10426 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (15506 views)