Coconut milk for dogs.

Breed: Jack Russell short l
Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was wrong, he ended up on salmon and potatoe which I didnt agree with, anyway long story short, years of looking I realised he was gluten, dairy and grain intolerant, after lots of research and my owns vets not telling me about cereals etc so the food I have him on now is fish based, gluten free, etc he cant eat meat we have tried several types they all make him bad. Anyway the food we have him on is okay but not brillant he still has little bouts every two to three month which is better than every other day, oh he also gets tree barks powder added which helps loads. My question is I want to make bone treats, and can do it without flour and wheat etc but I need something other than milk, so can I use pure coconut milk/water instead? I have lots of customers with dogs who have colitis and they are saying there is no treats on market that cater for such delicate stomaches. You can find natural treats but generally they still have cereals, maize, corn or wheat in them. He can tolerate oshtrich in small doses but thats it on the meat side. Thanks Julia

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat coconut?

Sorry to hear that Milo has so many digestive problems!

Coconut milk, coconut oil and just plain coconut are all safe for dogs to eat. So, I think it's definitely worth a try to make treats using coconut milk or water instead.

I have personally cooked (for myself) using coconut milk as a substitute for milk and it seems to work well. It makes things a little bit more sweet. I haven't had issues with baking it at all.

Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have more questions!

Excellent thank you very much so much conflicting info on the net so thought I would get it straight from horses mouth if you know what I mean :) Thank you again Julia

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (26385 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (16933 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (90158 views)

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (10864 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7603 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7595 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (8909 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (24469 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (8336 views)

Why did my cat die? Hello, The other day, our cat Misty (she would have been 16-years-old next month)... (13523 views)