Coconut milk for dogs.

Breed: Jack Russell short l
Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was wrong, he ended up on salmon and potatoe which I didnt agree with, anyway long story short, years of looking I realised he was gluten, dairy and grain intolerant, after lots of research and my owns vets not telling me about cereals etc so the food I have him on now is fish based, gluten free, etc he cant eat meat we have tried several types they all make him bad. Anyway the food we have him on is okay but not brillant he still has little bouts every two to three month which is better than every other day, oh he also gets tree barks powder added which helps loads. My question is I want to make bone treats, and can do it without flour and wheat etc but I need something other than milk, so can I use pure coconut milk/water instead? I have lots of customers with dogs who have colitis and they are saying there is no treats on market that cater for such delicate stomaches. You can find natural treats but generally they still have cereals, maize, corn or wheat in them. He can tolerate oshtrich in small doses but thats it on the meat side. Thanks Julia

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat coconut?

Sorry to hear that Milo has so many digestive problems!

Coconut milk, coconut oil and just plain coconut are all safe for dogs to eat. So, I think it's definitely worth a try to make treats using coconut milk or water instead.

I have personally cooked (for myself) using coconut milk as a substitute for milk and it seems to work well. It makes things a little bit more sweet. I haven't had issues with baking it at all.

Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have more questions!

Excellent thank you very much so much conflicting info on the net so thought I would get it straight from horses mouth if you know what I mean :) Thank you again Julia

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (11247 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (26500 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (10035 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (27430 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (7601 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (22448 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (14978 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (4838 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (13945 views)

Kitten has a cold and is congested. the kitten was found in the backyard, cold and all alone. He has what appears to be... (11243 views)