Coconut milk for dogs.

Breed: Jack Russell short l
Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was wrong, he ended up on salmon and potatoe which I didnt agree with, anyway long story short, years of looking I realised he was gluten, dairy and grain intolerant, after lots of research and my owns vets not telling me about cereals etc so the food I have him on now is fish based, gluten free, etc he cant eat meat we have tried several types they all make him bad. Anyway the food we have him on is okay but not brillant he still has little bouts every two to three month which is better than every other day, oh he also gets tree barks powder added which helps loads. My question is I want to make bone treats, and can do it without flour and wheat etc but I need something other than milk, so can I use pure coconut milk/water instead? I have lots of customers with dogs who have colitis and they are saying there is no treats on market that cater for such delicate stomaches. You can find natural treats but generally they still have cereals, maize, corn or wheat in them. He can tolerate oshtrich in small doses but thats it on the meat side. Thanks Julia

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat coconut?

Sorry to hear that Milo has so many digestive problems!

Coconut milk, coconut oil and just plain coconut are all safe for dogs to eat. So, I think it's definitely worth a try to make treats using coconut milk or water instead.

I have personally cooked (for myself) using coconut milk as a substitute for milk and it seems to work well. It makes things a little bit more sweet. I haven't had issues with baking it at all.

Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have more questions!

Excellent thank you very much so much conflicting info on the net so thought I would get it straight from horses mouth if you know what I mean :) Thank you again Julia

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (59026 views)

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (10074 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (4903 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (32912 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (14295 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (43143 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (22924 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11533 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (10666 views)

Do dogs get sciatica? Hi, about three weeks ago zues' back legs seemed week and clumsy and he was dripping... (13412 views)