Coconut milk for dogs.

Breed: Jack Russell short l
Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was wrong, he ended up on salmon and potatoe which I didnt agree with, anyway long story short, years of looking I realised he was gluten, dairy and grain intolerant, after lots of research and my owns vets not telling me about cereals etc so the food I have him on now is fish based, gluten free, etc he cant eat meat we have tried several types they all make him bad. Anyway the food we have him on is okay but not brillant he still has little bouts every two to three month which is better than every other day, oh he also gets tree barks powder added which helps loads. My question is I want to make bone treats, and can do it without flour and wheat etc but I need something other than milk, so can I use pure coconut milk/water instead? I have lots of customers with dogs who have colitis and they are saying there is no treats on market that cater for such delicate stomaches. You can find natural treats but generally they still have cereals, maize, corn or wheat in them. He can tolerate oshtrich in small doses but thats it on the meat side. Thanks Julia

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat coconut?

Sorry to hear that Milo has so many digestive problems!

Coconut milk, coconut oil and just plain coconut are all safe for dogs to eat. So, I think it's definitely worth a try to make treats using coconut milk or water instead.

I have personally cooked (for myself) using coconut milk as a substitute for milk and it seems to work well. It makes things a little bit more sweet. I haven't had issues with baking it at all.

Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have more questions!

Excellent thank you very much so much conflicting info on the net so thought I would get it straight from horses mouth if you know what I mean :) Thank you again Julia

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (3935 views)

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (9976 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (12684 views)

Mildly increased ALP. My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is... (6752 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (16050 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (7204 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (7744 views)

Cat losing weight and vomiting. Sebastian was always a little overweight. Recently he has started losing weight,... (10208 views)

Pain in stomatitis after extractions. 9 year old cat has stomatitis. She is NOT FIV positive. She has had all her teeth... (15725 views)

Blood in urine. I have taken my dog to 2 vets, and had numerous tests. I noticed she was peeing... (4302 views)