Coconut milk for dogs.

Breed: Jack Russell short l
Okay my dog has suffered colitis since he was a pup, numerous vets said his food was wrong, he ended up on salmon and potatoe which I didnt agree with, anyway long story short, years of looking I realised he was gluten, dairy and grain intolerant, after lots of research and my owns vets not telling me about cereals etc so the food I have him on now is fish based, gluten free, etc he cant eat meat we have tried several types they all make him bad. Anyway the food we have him on is okay but not brillant he still has little bouts every two to three month which is better than every other day, oh he also gets tree barks powder added which helps loads. My question is I want to make bone treats, and can do it without flour and wheat etc but I need something other than milk, so can I use pure coconut milk/water instead? I have lots of customers with dogs who have colitis and they are saying there is no treats on market that cater for such delicate stomaches. You can find natural treats but generally they still have cereals, maize, corn or wheat in them. He can tolerate oshtrich in small doses but thats it on the meat side. Thanks Julia

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Can dogs eat coconut?

Sorry to hear that Milo has so many digestive problems!

Coconut milk, coconut oil and just plain coconut are all safe for dogs to eat. So, I think it's definitely worth a try to make treats using coconut milk or water instead.

I have personally cooked (for myself) using coconut milk as a substitute for milk and it seems to work well. It makes things a little bit more sweet. I haven't had issues with baking it at all.

Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have more questions!

Excellent thank you very much so much conflicting info on the net so thought I would get it straight from horses mouth if you know what I mean :) Thank you again Julia

Cat is sneezing a lot. I have a two year old cat. I adopted her from a shelter last December. When I... (28928 views)

Pregnancy symptoms in dogs. Hi Dr Marie My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This... (14187 views)

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (10824 views)

Hair loss in hamster I have a syrian hamster which is about two and a half years old. He as been losing... (7190 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (8625 views)

Cisapride to a cat that is not eating? My cat has mega colon and been on cisapride and lactulose for 2 1/2 years. She has... (9548 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (5052 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (8000 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (11440 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (38677 views)