Grunting pitbull

Breed: Pit Bull
I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I have had Maverick since she was 5 weeks old. We visited her mother while she was pregnant and I noticed on our multipul visits, that her mother had this grunting sound that she made when scratched and excited. Well, long story short, Mavi does the same thing. She won't grunt just to grunt, but when you give her lovins and rub and scratch her chest and jowels. It's almost like her purr, she only makes this sounds when she's getting this type of love, not when she's getting her back/tummy rubbed. Is this normal? My boy, a pound rescue, doesn't do this.

Interesting question! I don't think anyone has ever asked me that before!

As long as she is bright and happy and eating well and not terribly itchy I wouldn't be worried about her making these grunting sounds.

It is possible that this is a genetic thing. It is likely a "mannerism". So, it is similar to how my daughter has hand gestures that are like mine. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (11313 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (7836 views)

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (8121 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (15544 views)

Vomiting, diarrhea, sneezing. My 4 month old kitten has vomited twice this morning. He has also coughed and... (17561 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (10276 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (8583 views)

Vaccinate for parvo before 6 weeks? We have a litter of labrador puppies. They are 5 and 1/2 weeks old. Can we... (8634 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (9150 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (5127 views)