Grunting pitbull

Breed: Pit Bull
I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I have had Maverick since she was 5 weeks old. We visited her mother while she was pregnant and I noticed on our multipul visits, that her mother had this grunting sound that she made when scratched and excited. Well, long story short, Mavi does the same thing. She won't grunt just to grunt, but when you give her lovins and rub and scratch her chest and jowels. It's almost like her purr, she only makes this sounds when she's getting this type of love, not when she's getting her back/tummy rubbed. Is this normal? My boy, a pound rescue, doesn't do this.

Interesting question! I don't think anyone has ever asked me that before!

As long as she is bright and happy and eating well and not terribly itchy I wouldn't be worried about her making these grunting sounds.

It is possible that this is a genetic thing. It is likely a "mannerism". So, it is similar to how my daughter has hand gestures that are like mine. It doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (30437 views)

Bleach for parvo? My great pyrenees mix, which is almost a year was a stray before I got her a little... (24793 views)

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (9302 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (14586 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (7814 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (17269 views)

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (132173 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (20883 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (8507 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (12532 views)