Female dog leaking urine.

Breed: shepard mix
My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a female and she is fixed she goes a couple of days sometimes a week but than it starts all over again and it is several times a day for many days what can be wrong

thank you
theresa

There are a few reasons for a dog to leak urine, but the most common is something called urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence (USMI) . This used to be known as estrogen responsive incontinence.

USMI is always seen in dogs that are female and spayed. The theory is that the bladder needs a certain amount of estrogen to maintain its strength. When a dog is spayed there is less estrogen and this can make the bladder weaker.

What happens in a dog with USMI is that urine can leak out when they are resting or sleeping. So, if you are finding that your dog is leaking urine on the bed or couch or wherever she sleeps then this is likely what is going on.

There are two ways to treat USMI. One is with a drug called Phenylpropanolamine (PPA, or Propalin). The second is with a small estrogen supplement. There are pros and cons to each and possible side effects with each so it is best to talk to your vet about what they recommend.

Whenever I have a dog where I suspect USMI I always do tests on the urine first to see if there is another problem going on. If the dog has a problem that is causing more urine to be created, or if there is irritation in the bladder then this can cause urine to leak as well. Some possible causes for these include:

• Kidney problems

• Liver problems

• Diabetes

• A bladder infection

• Bladder stones

• Crystals in the urine

If the urine tests don't show a problem then my personal choice is to put the dog on an estrogen tablet that is taken once or twice a week. Most dogs need medication for the rest of their life.

I hope this helps!

Related:

Article on USMI in dogs.

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (14101 views)

Dog drinking less water. Over the past week, my dog has been drinking less water than usual. She usually... (14268 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5622 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (7636 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (15606 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (16901 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7055 views)

Corn in dog food. I have heard that corn is bad in dog food. Also that alfalfa, brewers yeast, and... (14597 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (9719 views)

Young cat died after sneezing. I run a very small rescue. I have about 10 cat cages that I utilize. I had four... (7492 views)