Female dog leaking urine.

Breed: shepard mix
My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a female and she is fixed she goes a couple of days sometimes a week but than it starts all over again and it is several times a day for many days what can be wrong

thank you
theresa

There are a few reasons for a dog to leak urine, but the most common is something called urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence (USMI) . This used to be known as estrogen responsive incontinence.

USMI is always seen in dogs that are female and spayed. The theory is that the bladder needs a certain amount of estrogen to maintain its strength. When a dog is spayed there is less estrogen and this can make the bladder weaker.

What happens in a dog with USMI is that urine can leak out when they are resting or sleeping. So, if you are finding that your dog is leaking urine on the bed or couch or wherever she sleeps then this is likely what is going on.

There are two ways to treat USMI. One is with a drug called Phenylpropanolamine (PPA, or Propalin). The second is with a small estrogen supplement. There are pros and cons to each and possible side effects with each so it is best to talk to your vet about what they recommend.

Whenever I have a dog where I suspect USMI I always do tests on the urine first to see if there is another problem going on. If the dog has a problem that is causing more urine to be created, or if there is irritation in the bladder then this can cause urine to leak as well. Some possible causes for these include:

• Kidney problems

• Liver problems

• Diabetes

• A bladder infection

• Bladder stones

• Crystals in the urine

If the urine tests don't show a problem then my personal choice is to put the dog on an estrogen tablet that is taken once or twice a week. Most dogs need medication for the rest of their life.

I hope this helps!

Related:

Article on USMI in dogs.

Rice grain like worms in poop. my dog has rice grain-like worms in her poop. can you tell me what kind they are.... (15400 views)

Renal failure. Care and diet for young dog in last stages of renal failure... My sister's dog,... (18451 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (8565 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (22622 views)

Treatment for kidney disease. My cat has recently been hospitalized for kidney failure. They have her on fluids... (5224 views)

Kitten's eye is sealed shut. My kitten got either calici virus or the herpes virus and it affected one eye. For... (18499 views)

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (16970 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (8318 views)

Lipoma on a dog. Hi Dr. Laurie, You gave me such great advice on my cat Bobo, I'm writing about my... (6491 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (13155 views)