Female dog leaking urine.

Breed: shepard mix
My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a female and she is fixed she goes a couple of days sometimes a week but than it starts all over again and it is several times a day for many days what can be wrong

thank you
theresa

There are a few reasons for a dog to leak urine, but the most common is something called urethral sphincter mechanism incompetence (USMI) . This used to be known as estrogen responsive incontinence.

USMI is always seen in dogs that are female and spayed. The theory is that the bladder needs a certain amount of estrogen to maintain its strength. When a dog is spayed there is less estrogen and this can make the bladder weaker.

What happens in a dog with USMI is that urine can leak out when they are resting or sleeping. So, if you are finding that your dog is leaking urine on the bed or couch or wherever she sleeps then this is likely what is going on.

There are two ways to treat USMI. One is with a drug called Phenylpropanolamine (PPA, or Propalin). The second is with a small estrogen supplement. There are pros and cons to each and possible side effects with each so it is best to talk to your vet about what they recommend.

Whenever I have a dog where I suspect USMI I always do tests on the urine first to see if there is another problem going on. If the dog has a problem that is causing more urine to be created, or if there is irritation in the bladder then this can cause urine to leak as well. Some possible causes for these include:

• Kidney problems

• Liver problems

• Diabetes

• A bladder infection

• Bladder stones

• Crystals in the urine

If the urine tests don't show a problem then my personal choice is to put the dog on an estrogen tablet that is taken once or twice a week. Most dogs need medication for the rest of their life.

I hope this helps!

Related:

Article on USMI in dogs.

Itchy smelly dark skin. Good day! I am Arby Bautista from Laguna, Philippines. I searched the internet... (7955 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (11096 views)

Dry nose in a dog. is it normal that my 10 year old dog haves a very dry nose everytime?... (10232 views)

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (12195 views)

Lump where umbilicus was. Hi, I have a kitten who is 4 weeks and a few days. Ive noticed today that where the... (21264 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (24351 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (12186 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (71996 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (17184 views)

Time for euthanasia? My 19 year old cat has been ill for some time. For many years I have had to help... (8534 views)