Pregnancy test for dogs?

Breed: Golden Lab
How can I tell if my dog is pregnant? She was with a male dog yesterday and I think he bred her.

Hi there and thanks for your question!

Unfortunately there is no early pregnancy detector test for dogs. The human tests measure the level of hcg which is human chorionic gonadotropin and no such molecule exists in dogs.

There is a blood test called relaxin that can be done for dogs but they have to be about 28 days pregnant, and it is not always 100% accurate.

Your vet may be able to palpate a pregnancy at 28 days. They can see a pregnancy on ultrasound after 28 days, or on xray after 45-50 days.

Here is some good information on pregnancy and birthing for you:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=678

Hope all goes well!

Thanks for using the website!

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (15035 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (8117 views)

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (8354 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (14190 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (9255 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13496 views)

Good appetite in blind deaf cat. my cat is over 15 years old she is partially blind and deaf she misses her litterbox... (7994 views)

Low protein and leaking urine. A German Shepherd mix, approximately 4-6 years old, was dropped off and we started... (5831 views)

Bleeding from mouth. Hi Dr. Marie, What would cause recurrent tongue and gum ulcers in cats? Chuger is... (32839 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (21236 views)