Swollen neck on a cat.

Breed: DSH cat
my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho. His neck is really swollen, it started of like it was a swollen gland but it has gotten bigger and is travelling around under his neck, its like soft but alot of pressure is under there. I cant get to the vet till Wednesday. Eating drinking fine, sleeping alot more. got into the fish tank water aswell.

Sorry to hear that Charlie may not be well!

I can't say for certain, without seeing him, but I'm suspicious that this could be an abscess. Is Charlie outside, or around other cats at all? The most common cause for an abscess is to be bitten or scratched by another cat. Often the initial wound can't be found, but under the skin there can be infection.

Unfortunately, if this is an abscess there really is no at home treatment. Once you are able to go to the vet's then they will likely do a very quick poke with a needle or a scalpel blade to get the pus out. (Please don't try this at home!) Then, they will either put him on some oral antibiotics or give him a long lasting injection of antibiotic.

If it is at all possible to get him to the vet's today I would highly advise it. If an abscess goes untreated for too long, the infection can spread and the treatment might be more intensive (i.e. he could need to stay in the hospital on IV fluids, or even have surgery on the area.)

For now, do all you can to make sure he continues to eat. As the abscess gets worse, then this can affect his appetite. If a cat doesn't eat for a couple of days it can cause serious problems with the liver.

I hope he is ok!

Dog won't eat. well dr my dog he always wants to go outside and doesnt want to eat his food and we... (11537 views)

Crusty ears on stray cat. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. There is a small stray cat I... (11176 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (26674 views)

Cat pulling hair out of stomach. Dark has been pulling the hair out of his stomach for over a year. He now has a... (10391 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (6885 views)

Clavamox drops out of fridge. Hey Doc...Sparky was put on Clavamox drops because he has an abscess. The vet... (51318 views)

Back leg shaking. My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back... (8428 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (8010 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (18835 views)

Cerenia and buprenorphine My 18 year old cat was given a shot of cerenia and then 12 hours later I gave her... (9768 views)