Swollen neck on a cat.

Breed: DSH cat
my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho. His neck is really swollen, it started of like it was a swollen gland but it has gotten bigger and is travelling around under his neck, its like soft but alot of pressure is under there. I cant get to the vet till Wednesday. Eating drinking fine, sleeping alot more. got into the fish tank water aswell.

Sorry to hear that Charlie may not be well!

I can't say for certain, without seeing him, but I'm suspicious that this could be an abscess. Is Charlie outside, or around other cats at all? The most common cause for an abscess is to be bitten or scratched by another cat. Often the initial wound can't be found, but under the skin there can be infection.

Unfortunately, if this is an abscess there really is no at home treatment. Once you are able to go to the vet's then they will likely do a very quick poke with a needle or a scalpel blade to get the pus out. (Please don't try this at home!) Then, they will either put him on some oral antibiotics or give him a long lasting injection of antibiotic.

If it is at all possible to get him to the vet's today I would highly advise it. If an abscess goes untreated for too long, the infection can spread and the treatment might be more intensive (i.e. he could need to stay in the hospital on IV fluids, or even have surgery on the area.)

For now, do all you can to make sure he continues to eat. As the abscess gets worse, then this can affect his appetite. If a cat doesn't eat for a couple of days it can cause serious problems with the liver.

I hope he is ok!

High lipase and triglycerides. Hi Dr. Marie I am following up with you regarding Oreo's Vacuolar Hepatopathy... (6902 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (48480 views)

Crusty ears and very itchy. i have a boston terrier that just turned 1 year old (female). at 6 months i took her... (9302 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (13564 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (11683 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (7719 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (9146 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (34188 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (41473 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (27341 views)