Cat keeps getting sick.

Breed: don't know but not p
Hi, I have a 4 month old kitten. I found her when she was about two months. I took her to the vet and she got some shots. shortly after she got a bad cold. Took her to the vet again and vet put her on antibiotics, eye drops and vitamins. 2 weeks after she all was fine she got sick again. Took her to vet again. More antibiotics. She got well for a few weeks and I was going to see the vet for the rest of her shot but now her cold is back. What could be wrong? Do I need a new vet? I there are no other cats around her, how is she catching this?( She is indoor and isolated).She was negative for FIV. She eats ok and plays and climbs like any kitten. Please help!

Hi. I'm sorry to hear that LIttle Bear is having these problems.

I have had cases like this where kittens had a really hard time shaking an upper respiratory tract infection.

The first thing I usually do is test for FIV and Feline leukemia as either of these viruses could predispose the immune system to getting and not being able to shake a virus. It sounds like this was done. (If FIV was tested for, then probably Feline leukemia was as well.)

Antibiotics will help with bacterial infection but won't treat the underlying virus. Usually the virus comes first and then, it can progress to a bacterial infection. So, if this is a very persistent virus, then antibiotics may help a little (because of secondary bacterial infections) but they're not going to cure Little Bear.

Unfortunately the only cure here is time.

There are some animals that can have a chronic mycoplasma problem after having an upper respiratory tract infection. These cats can unfortunately have lifelong problems with congestion that comes and goes.

However, I can tell you that in the vast majority of cases that I have seen like this, the cat does eventually get over the virus and ends up being totally healthy.

You may want to ask your vet about using a supplement called Lysine. This amino acid has been shown to help cats fight viruses a little better.

I hope things are better soon!

Thank you so much for your quick response. I will ask her Vet about the Lysine when I see her this week. She is very nice but does not like to give bad news and it is easier to accept that she could have this for a while.

Yliana

Dog can't jump. My dog keeps shaking and isn't acting herself. Her whole body is shaking but it is... (21298 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (8820 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (9816 views)

Golden Retriever Losing Weight. Hi my dog is 13 years old ,and tough he acts fine ,and goes walking everyday,he has... (15947 views)

Pit Bull won't eat. My 3 year old Pit Bull/Boxer mix isn't eating as normal. She was a rescued stray... (12491 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (19111 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (27058 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (25691 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (20489 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (9154 views)