Ivermectin toxicity in a cat.

Breed: common
My kitten and I live in Democractic Republic of Congo. Today, a vet administered an Ivermectin vaccine. Pungu did well at first but is now ataxic, non-responsive, vomited, loss control of bladder, and difficult to get a response to vigorous rubbing. I need home treatment. The road has been washed out and I am unable to get to the town where the vet lives.

I am sorry to hear that your cat is suffering from ivermectin toxicity. The symptoms certainly sound like this is what is happening.

In my country we don't often administer ivermectin to cats. It's hard to say whether Pungu is being affected because he got too high a dose. We know that some *dogs* can be overly sensitive to ivermectin and so it is possible that this is the case in some cats as well.

Ivermectin can affect the central nervous system. So, when an animal gets ivermectin toxicity we see tremors, seizures and other neurological symptoms. If Pungu is non-responsive this is a very very poor sign. The condition can definitely be fatal.

You are very limited in what you can do at home. In a veterinary hospital we would be administering intravenous fluids and anti-seizure medications. If an animal is going to recover then it can sometimes take several days for this to happen. I have heard of one case where a cat was in a coma in the hospital for 2 weeks before recovering.

Here are some things that you can do to help, but ultimately if there is a way to get him to a veterinary clinic this would be his best chance at survival.

Keep him warm. If you have a thermometer at home, the best way to take his temperature is rectally using some vaseline or KY jelly as a lubricant. Or, if you prefer not to do that you can put the thermometer in his armpit although this is not as accurate. Normal temperature for a cat is between 38-39 C or 100-102 F. To keep Pungu warm you can wrap him in a warm blanket if he will tolerate this, or fill up a large bottle with warm water, cover it with a blanket and place him next to it. Be careful that it is not too hot against his skin.

If he is unresponsive, then turning him over every hour or so will help.

If he regains some consciousness then you can try getting small amounts of water into him using a syringe or turkey baster. It is important for him to stay hydrated. But don't force water into him if he is unconscious.

Unfortunately there really aren't any medications that you can administer that are going to help.

I fear that with the symptoms you have described he may not do well. I pray that I am wrong.

I followed your advice and Pungu was doing much better by late evening. This morning Pungu is back to her playful self - running around and has a good appiete. In the DRC we must do what we can ourselves and hope for the best. I appreciate your service.

Oh, I am thrilled to hear that Pungu is feeling better! Thank you for updating me.

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (8238 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (42870 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (5615 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (5016 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (6394 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (7484 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (13705 views)

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (11889 views)

Cat can't gain weight. My cat is underweight, I've tried feeding her more but it isn't working... How can I... (16423 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (57303 views)