Polysporin on cats?

Breed: feline
My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on her head. They give me antibiotics which work for about 2
weeks. I am using aloe vera (the plant) on her right now. It does help somewhat. I WONDERED if I COULD USE POLYSPORIN ON HER SORES AS THEY ARE SOMETIMES BLEEDING. i have both adult and children's polysporin if it is okay to use,
NY VET IS VERY EXPENSIVE AND KEEPS DOING THE SAME THINGS TO HER WHICH AREN'T HELPING. i would welcome any advice you can give me. Thanks so much for your time.
Respectfully,
Cathy Pearson

Oh I am sorry to hear about Blizzard's problem. I wouldn't say that this is a common problem. I wonder what the underlying cause is?

Polysporin is usually safe to use on a cat. However, if a cat grooms herself and ingests the polysporin it can cause stomach upset causing vomiting and diarrhea. Also, if you use a type of polysporin that contains pramoxine (a local anesthetic) it can be toxic.

With that being said, however, I do not find that polysporin works well on animals.

One thing that may help, when these sores break out is to make a solution of warm water and epsom salts and then use a cloth to dab the solution on her head. You can do this a few times a day. But, if you're seeing any pus (like thick yellow fluid) then she will need oral antibiotics from your vet.

Sometimes when a cat has sores like this there is an underlying reason. Ideally it would be best to have some blood tests done. Do you know if she has had her thyroid checked lately? I have seen cats with thyroid problems that get sores on their head. Once the thyroid problems are fixed then the sores go away.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions!

Thanks so much for your information. I WILL USE SOME EPSOM SALTS AS WELL AS ALOE VERA. I appreciate your help.
CATHY

You're very welcome. I'd be cautious about using aloe however. If you are using the sap from the plant it can be very irritating to the stomach and intestines if ingested.

Hope things heal up soon!

Rapid weight loss. Hello Dr. Marie, First I have to sadly say that I can not afford a vet visit for... (4923 views)

Tapeworm pictures in a dog. I just discovered my dog has worms in her poop. She sleeps on our bed and where she... (34903 views)

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (8020 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (7201 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (12379 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (18715 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (9813 views)

Is Tropiclean safe? Dear Dr. Marie: Hello! I am writing to ask about giving a water additive to my... (18244 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (9371 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (14611 views)