Polysporin on cats?

Breed: feline
My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on her head. They give me antibiotics which work for about 2
weeks. I am using aloe vera (the plant) on her right now. It does help somewhat. I WONDERED if I COULD USE POLYSPORIN ON HER SORES AS THEY ARE SOMETIMES BLEEDING. i have both adult and children's polysporin if it is okay to use,
NY VET IS VERY EXPENSIVE AND KEEPS DOING THE SAME THINGS TO HER WHICH AREN'T HELPING. i would welcome any advice you can give me. Thanks so much for your time.
Respectfully,
Cathy Pearson

Oh I am sorry to hear about Blizzard's problem. I wouldn't say that this is a common problem. I wonder what the underlying cause is?

Polysporin is usually safe to use on a cat. However, if a cat grooms herself and ingests the polysporin it can cause stomach upset causing vomiting and diarrhea. Also, if you use a type of polysporin that contains pramoxine (a local anesthetic) it can be toxic.

With that being said, however, I do not find that polysporin works well on animals.

One thing that may help, when these sores break out is to make a solution of warm water and epsom salts and then use a cloth to dab the solution on her head. You can do this a few times a day. But, if you're seeing any pus (like thick yellow fluid) then she will need oral antibiotics from your vet.

Sometimes when a cat has sores like this there is an underlying reason. Ideally it would be best to have some blood tests done. Do you know if she has had her thyroid checked lately? I have seen cats with thyroid problems that get sores on their head. Once the thyroid problems are fixed then the sores go away.

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have more questions!

Thanks so much for your information. I WILL USE SOME EPSOM SALTS AS WELL AS ALOE VERA. I appreciate your help.
CATHY

You're very welcome. I'd be cautious about using aloe however. If you are using the sap from the plant it can be very irritating to the stomach and intestines if ingested.

Hope things heal up soon!

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (10833 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15182 views)

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (32265 views)

GNRH implant I am asking about the GnRH implant to bring a dog into heat. MY FIRST MAIN... (12592 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (5283 views)

Hair loss and hyperthyroidism. Dear Dr. Marie, I have had my cat Cody for five years. He was a stray cat who was... (15277 views)

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (9167 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15154 views)

Human mouthwash for dog? Can I give my dog diluted mouthwash (regular people mouthwash) I want to mix a... (19026 views)

Are bully sticks safe? My dog loves to chew on bully sticks. I think it's kind of gross that it is a... (18497 views)