Wheatgrass for cats?

Breed: N/A
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have a question for Fei Meow again. As Fei Meow is very happy to eat wheat grass, I am trying my little effort to see if it is ok for him on l/d diet.

On July 2012, ALT from blood test is higher than normal 143 U/L. Having l/d diet helped to keep it normal. We repeatedly tested with the effect to change to l/d diet to weight reducing diet which made ALT 188 U/L again in Dec 2012. So, in 2013, he kept l/d diet and made stable record of normal ALT. See the bottom for the perfect blood test report.

The vet here suggested me not to take the risk for feeding wheat grass even small quantity. So I would like to hear about your opinion if I can feed him little (few pieces) per week. Will it also be ok to feed him little fish (as small as 1cm cube per month).

Breed: (I dont know. common type. photo here)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh0tl9fjgoy41gp/P8260018.JPG

Last blood test report:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l0bulrm7tzm81k0/20130831_BloodTestP1.pdf

Thank you very much. We look forward to your advice. Thank you!

Doris

Hi Doris,

I don't have much experience with giving wheat grass to cats so I did some research for you. Giving wheatgrass is *probably* not likely to cause harm but I could not find any conclusive evidence that it would help at all. I'm not sure if the reason to give Fei Meow wheatgrass was for medicinal reasons or just because it is something that he enjoys. If he enjoys it, then again, it is *probably* ok. I say, "probably" because there haven't been any studies done to show if it is harmful to the liver.

With that being said, there are a lot of things we don't know about how cats handle supplements and this is probably why your vet has said to stay away from it. If this were my case and the cat really enjoyed eating wheatgrass then I would probably allow it and after he had been having it for a month or so, do some more bloodwork to see if the liver enzymes are still in the normal range.

However, if your vet has recommended against feeding it, there may be good reason. If you are not sure what to do I would follow the advice of your vet.

A small amount of fish per month really should be fine.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Giving wheat grass for Fei Meow is purely it is his favorite. I think I will try giving small dose of wheat grass (5 pieces) per month.

Thanks for the permission for small amount of fish. I have given little salmon and thus the quota for this month is gone. :) He did enjoy little, remaining some very little. I guess he means enough. :P

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Doris

Cat xray with fluid in chest. We euthanized our cat this week based on the recommendation of our vet. We feel we... (19319 views)

Dog biting at tail. My dog Kita is biting her tail down to the skin and Im getting worried because our... (7593 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4374 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (13611 views)

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (9485 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (5651 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (23199 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (10084 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (9824 views)

Should liver biopsy be done? Dear Dr Haines, I have a 10 year old Bichon-Poodle-Maltese mix male dog (Max). ... (6065 views)