Can rabbits carry rabies?

Breed: cat
I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is normal acting, though rather tame. My cat tried to pick her up and the rabbit scratched him on the nose. The scratch is light and hardly bled.

The cat is just a kitten so hasn't yet been vaccinated but has a appointment to do so.

I know they're mammals so they can technically have rabies, but I am wondering if it's likely in a baby or if rabbits are even able to transmit it. Like I said, the bunny was acting normal. It was tame enough that I could catch it and release it outside, but wasn't paralyzed or anything. We live in Colorado, and rabies is fairly prevalent in skunks and bats, but not rodents. Thanks.

Sorry to hear that your cat got scratched by a rabbit. While rabbits can carry rabies, the chances that this little rabbit had rabies and transmitted rabies to your cat are really small.

We rarely see bunnies with rabies and that is because in order for them to get rabies they would have had to have been bitten by a rabid animal. If this happened, then the bunny likely would have died and would not still be running around. Next, in order to transmit rabies, saliva has to be injected into the animal. In other words, a scratch would not transmit rabies, but a bite possibly could.

So, if your cat was scratched by a bunny I would not be worried much about the possibility of him contracting rabies.

The biggest concern I would have would be for infection. I wouldn't do anything for the small scratch at this point, but if you notice it getting red and sore or if your cat is lethargic and doesn't want to eat then you'll need to see the vet for some antibiotics. Most likely everything will be fine though!

Can't move back legs. My cat could not get up using its back legs. Her front legs were working but she... (31537 views)

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (11933 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (9767 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (25312 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (11159 views)

Roundworms. Cat has roundworms. bought otc piperzine for her. how long should it take to work?... (17554 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (15430 views)

Is aspirin safe for dogs? I bought the excel enteric coated aspirin 81mg each for my 85lb husky. I don't know... (17048 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (6763 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (13760 views)