Aggressive hamster.

Breed: russian hamster
hello,
i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really nice letting me handel him and pick him up but the next day i couldent even put my hand in the cage with out him biteing me. I couldent even pet him whilst he was still in his cage as i had also done yesterday.
why is he doing this?
will he stop?
what can i do to help?

Hi and thanks for your question.

I have seen a number of hamsters who bite when frightened. It's hard to say why he was allowing you to handle him yesterday though and not today.

My guess is that he is frightened about his new surroundings. There is a good chance that given a few days to a week in his new home he will be much more tame.

For now it's best to only pet him when he is accepting your attention. Never try to handle him when awake and immediately put him back if he starts to get aggressive.

Try to approach him regularly with some sort of treat that he may like such as a vegetable like broccoli. Don't push things too far. So, offer him the food and see if he will let you pet him. It shouldn't take long for him to come around.

It is also possible that he is aggressive because there is pain somewhere. If this is the case you will likely notice a lack of appetite and also lethargy. If you are seeing this then you should have your vet look at him.

I think, knowing that he was tame at first gives me hope that he will calm down soon.

Puppy biting owners. My Pomeranian puppy is now four months old and last week i gave anti rabies... (11492 views)

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (18037 views)

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (20023 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (8805 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (17899 views)

Rabbit euthanasia questions. I had my bunny put down due to a spinal injury. The vet said they gave her gas to... (6177 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (14835 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11669 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (13629 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (93573 views)