Kennel cough in pregnant dog.

Breed: Miniature dachshund
My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm concerned about kennel cough. As a relatives dog had it recently. It's been 4 days since I noticed very mild symptoms just occasional no raspy sound or signs of infection/fever. Bigger concern is she's just 2 weeks pregnant how will this effect her if she is pregnant. Once she's over it and if all else goes well, from what I've read she may still be contagious when they are born.

I have seen a few dogs with kennel cough that presented as having a reverse sneeze. However, I wouldn't say that it is a common symptom in dogs with kennel cough.

Most dogs with kennel cough get over it on their own with a few days. There is more information here: kennel cough.

Will a pregnant dog with kennel cough be in danger? The short answer to this is that she, and her puppies are probably ok. However, there is some concern because some types of kennel cough contain a herpes virus that can be very dangerous to newborn puppies. The good news though is that the pups would not be exposed to the kennel cough until they are born and by that time hopefully your dog will have recovered. Also, if they are able to nurse from her right away, then the colostrum will give them the antibodies that they need to fight the disease.

The only real concern I would have would be if your dog gets really really sick with kennel cough. Any extreme sickness has the potential to harm a pregnancy. But, this does not happen very commonly with kennel cough.

If she gets worse, loses her appetite or if you are seeing a green or yellow nasal discharge then I would have the vet take a look.

Hopefully things will be ok!

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (6279 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (12070 views)

Bleeding from penis. My Siberian Husky has been bleeding from his penis for the last 2 days, It comes and... (15830 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (12428 views)

Puppy is leaking urine. Im concerned about my puppy frequent and what seems to be lack of urin control. The... (22330 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (12038 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (12082 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (9739 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (23127 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (68049 views)