Puppy ate grapes.

Breed: German shepherd
My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9 weeks old.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Are grapes bad for dogs?

Hi, and thanks for your question. Are grapes toxic to puppies? Most likely your pup will be ok. Still, there are some things to look out for.

We don't know why grapes are toxic to some dogs. There are many dogs that can eat grapes every day and never get sick. And then, in some dogs, even a small exposure to grapes can cause serious kidney problems. We have not been able to determine whether it is the seeds, the skin, or what the problem is.

Given that the grapes have been in your dog's system for 24 hours, there isn't much that we can do at this point in terms of prevention. So, what I would recommend is to monitor for symptoms of kidney problems. I would visit the vet if I saw any of the following:

-excessive thirst and/or urination
-vomiting
-lethargy

If you feel like she is not well, then it's best to have her seen. Your vet will likely test her urine and her blood for signs of kidney problems, and if they are present then will place her in the hospital on intravenous fluids.

But, the odds are in your favor. In the vast majority of cases, if a dog eats grapes there are no negative effects seen.

I hope things work out fine!

Thank you. But how much longer should I monitor her?

This is a tough call. In most cases, if grapes are going to cause problems I would expect to see symptoms (as described above) within a few days.

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (14481 views)

Ovariectomy vs. Ovariohysterectomy. My beautiful little girl had a lump near one of her lower nipples last week. After... (6722 views)

Swollen ear with pus. my dogs ear has suddenly become really swollen with what seems like puss it is very... (7831 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Dear Dr. Marie, I adopted a shelter dog from the southern US last September. He is... (9874 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (40666 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (5254 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (7024 views)

Is Raid toxic to cats? My fiance lives in Florida and sprays Raid insecticide to kill bugs. In a few months... (90944 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7251 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (14977 views)