Puppy ate grapes.

Breed: German shepherd
My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9 weeks old.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Are grapes bad for dogs?

Hi, and thanks for your question. Are grapes toxic to puppies? Most likely your pup will be ok. Still, there are some things to look out for.

We don't know why grapes are toxic to some dogs. There are many dogs that can eat grapes every day and never get sick. And then, in some dogs, even a small exposure to grapes can cause serious kidney problems. We have not been able to determine whether it is the seeds, the skin, or what the problem is.

Given that the grapes have been in your dog's system for 24 hours, there isn't much that we can do at this point in terms of prevention. So, what I would recommend is to monitor for symptoms of kidney problems. I would visit the vet if I saw any of the following:

-excessive thirst and/or urination
-vomiting
-lethargy

If you feel like she is not well, then it's best to have her seen. Your vet will likely test her urine and her blood for signs of kidney problems, and if they are present then will place her in the hospital on intravenous fluids.

But, the odds are in your favor. In the vast majority of cases, if a dog eats grapes there are no negative effects seen.

I hope things work out fine!

Thank you. But how much longer should I monitor her?

This is a tough call. In most cases, if grapes are going to cause problems I would expect to see symptoms (as described above) within a few days.

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (6063 views)

Dog losing chunks of fur. My dog has been loseing chunks of fur on his face only then next day the skin turns... (9193 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (7182 views)

Older cat problems. My cat is eating constantly. Every hour or two she cries at me to eat. And she's... (9659 views)

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (20670 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (26306 views)

Tubes in dogs ears? our bulldog has bad problems with his ears they are almost swollen shut. our vet... (17192 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (36396 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (7345 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (5409 views)