Puppy ate grapes.

Breed: German shepherd
My puppy ate 3 grapes. About 24 hours ago. What do I need to watch for? She is 9 weeks old.

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Are grapes bad for dogs?

Hi, and thanks for your question. Are grapes toxic to puppies? Most likely your pup will be ok. Still, there are some things to look out for.

We don't know why grapes are toxic to some dogs. There are many dogs that can eat grapes every day and never get sick. And then, in some dogs, even a small exposure to grapes can cause serious kidney problems. We have not been able to determine whether it is the seeds, the skin, or what the problem is.

Given that the grapes have been in your dog's system for 24 hours, there isn't much that we can do at this point in terms of prevention. So, what I would recommend is to monitor for symptoms of kidney problems. I would visit the vet if I saw any of the following:

-excessive thirst and/or urination
-vomiting
-lethargy

If you feel like she is not well, then it's best to have her seen. Your vet will likely test her urine and her blood for signs of kidney problems, and if they are present then will place her in the hospital on intravenous fluids.

But, the odds are in your favor. In the vast majority of cases, if a dog eats grapes there are no negative effects seen.

I hope things work out fine!

Thank you. But how much longer should I monitor her?

This is a tough call. In most cases, if grapes are going to cause problems I would expect to see symptoms (as described above) within a few days.

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (8419 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (10787 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (7847 views)

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (16427 views)

Green smelly teeth. Dweeb has greenish slime on her gums and pain when biting. I tried washing it out... (28396 views)

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (7302 views)

Interstitial cystitis. My cat has had reoccurring Cystitis. She strains when going to the toilet,... (4738 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (10860 views)

Why did my cat die? Hello, The other day, our cat Misty (she would have been 16-years-old next month)... (12146 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (8779 views)