Black spot or scab on dog's nose.

Breed: Beagle
Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister said it's probably a scratch from a cat however I don't think it is...I can send a picture of you'd like.

If you can send a picture, that would be great. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Also, does the lump seem to be bothering your dog?

I sent the picture already, no he doesn't seem bothered by it just when I touch it he moves his face the opposite direction...

Thank you, I hadn't realized that you had already sent one. These are excellent photographs:

BEFORE
black spot on dog's nose

AFTER
scab on dog's nose

This is an odd looking thing for sure! My best guess is that this was some type of infection that has now scabbed over and is healing. But, I can't say that with certainty. There really isn't a known medical condition that would cause a black spot like this and then a scab.

I think that this is unlikely to be any sort of cancerous growth.

If it is an infected area, it may be already on its way to healing. I really wouldn't do much to try to treat it as creams will not help. But, if it is not healing or if you are seeing more scabbing or a green or yellow discharge then I'd have a vet take a look as he may need antibiotics.

One other possibility is for some type of autoimmune disease such as discoid lupus or pemphigus. However, this doesn't usually affect the top of the nose like this.

I'd keep an eye on things for now and if they're not improving I'd have your vet take a look.

Thank you doctor Marie I will keep an eye out for it and if it doesn't heal I will have his vet look at it!

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (11752 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (8524 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (9220 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (6525 views)

Cat vomits regularly. My 4year old cat has been throwing up over the past two months. 99% is food. ( dry... (5839 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (10781 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (14087 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (6041 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (12622 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (12788 views)