Black spot or scab on dog's nose.

Breed: Beagle
Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister said it's probably a scratch from a cat however I don't think it is...I can send a picture of you'd like.

If you can send a picture, that would be great. You can send it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Also, does the lump seem to be bothering your dog?

I sent the picture already, no he doesn't seem bothered by it just when I touch it he moves his face the opposite direction...

Thank you, I hadn't realized that you had already sent one. These are excellent photographs:

BEFORE
black spot on dog's nose

AFTER
scab on dog's nose

This is an odd looking thing for sure! My best guess is that this was some type of infection that has now scabbed over and is healing. But, I can't say that with certainty. There really isn't a known medical condition that would cause a black spot like this and then a scab.

I think that this is unlikely to be any sort of cancerous growth.

If it is an infected area, it may be already on its way to healing. I really wouldn't do much to try to treat it as creams will not help. But, if it is not healing or if you are seeing more scabbing or a green or yellow discharge then I'd have a vet take a look as he may need antibiotics.

One other possibility is for some type of autoimmune disease such as discoid lupus or pemphigus. However, this doesn't usually affect the top of the nose like this.

I'd keep an eye on things for now and if they're not improving I'd have your vet take a look.

Thank you doctor Marie I will keep an eye out for it and if it doesn't heal I will have his vet look at it!

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (18090 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (27145 views)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (8207 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (4180 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (9341 views)

Limping after cat fight. Hello, My cat recently had a fight with another cat. Now he is limping on his left... (9535 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (6879 views)

Small dog ate large dog Trifexis. I gave my 3 dogs trifexis yesterday. My larger dog take the dose for 40.1 to 60... (21001 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (35384 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (8434 views)