Pink lump on dog's paw.

Breed: Minature Daschund
I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in color and a little swollen. She is walking fine and allows me to inspect her paw with no obvious signs of pain or discomfort.

At first I thought a tick might be burried, but I could not see any signs of a tick, it lump does look like it has a slight opening in the middle but there is no bleeding.

I can take a photo and email you a close up to give you a better idea.

David.

Hi David...thanks for your question!

I'd love to see the picture. You can email pictures to info@askavetquestion.com.

How long has it been there for?
Is there any discharge from the lump?

I sent you the photo.

David

Thanks, I got the email. What an excellent picture!

It's always hard to diagnose lumps over the internet, but I can give you a few ideas as to what could be going on.

It certainly looks like there is some infection present. The most likely explanation is that there is a foreign object in there such as a thorn or a piece of glass.

In many cases if there is a foreign object there the body will work it out on its own. You can help by soaking the foot in a solution of epsom salts for 10 minutes at a time 3x daily. If it's not improving in a few days she may need some antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

While we do occasionally see tumors in this area. However, they don't usually look ulcerated like that unless they have been there for a really long time, so this is unlikely.

Some dogs can get something called interdigital cysts that can look like this. However, they are usually located more in between the toes rather than on top. The treatment would be the same as for a foreign object.

It's a good idea to try the epsom salts. It's also good to keep her from licking it. The best way to do this is to cover it with a baby sock and use duct tape to hold the sock in place on her leg.

If she's still at it in 48 hours or if it looks like it is getting worse a vet visit is a good idea!

Hope she does well!

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'll try the salts and see how it goes.

David.

You're very welcome! Hope things look better soon!

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (5468 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (32765 views)

Hind end pain in beagle. I'm wondering if we need a set of fresh eyes about this ongoing situation, perhaps a... (17529 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (6045 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (10448 views)

Advil for arthritis? Can you give advil or store brand anti-inflammatories for arthritis or do you have... (17356 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (15310 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (6814 views)

Vomiting every time she eats. My cat is throwing up every time she eats, what is the... (18891 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (8978 views)