lump on ear

Breed: mini dachshund
In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been keeping an eye on it and it just keeps on getting bigger. Its redish brown and looks like its scabbed over on the top of the bump. It doesn't seem to hurt him when I touch it or put some presser on it. What could it be? Do you think they need to remove it right away? I know its going to cost a lot of money to take him to to vet and have them remove it but I just want a second opinion before I take him in. Thank you for your help.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Gus Gus' lump.

It is possible that this is just a wound or even an infected insect bite. However, if the lump is continuing to get bigger then there is the possibility that there is something more serious going on.

If it is a tumor, it may be something called a histiocytoma which is a benign tumor that goes away on its own. However, it could be something more serious such as a mast cell tumor. If it is a mast cell tumor then you need to have it removed as soon as possible.

I would definitely recommend a vet visit. Your vet will likely do a test called a fine needle aspirate and determine how worried we need to be.

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (25094 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (24860 views)

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (42651 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (16712 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (8872 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (10315 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (22240 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (10279 views)

Dog won't go downstairs. He is 5 years old, not less than 3 months. My pop up blocker wouldn't let me change... (24066 views)

Swollen nipple. I have a female dog that was fixed 6 years ago. She has 1 nipple that is swollen to... (26652 views)