lump on ear

Breed: mini dachshund
In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been keeping an eye on it and it just keeps on getting bigger. Its redish brown and looks like its scabbed over on the top of the bump. It doesn't seem to hurt him when I touch it or put some presser on it. What could it be? Do you think they need to remove it right away? I know its going to cost a lot of money to take him to to vet and have them remove it but I just want a second opinion before I take him in. Thank you for your help.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Gus Gus' lump.

It is possible that this is just a wound or even an infected insect bite. However, if the lump is continuing to get bigger then there is the possibility that there is something more serious going on.

If it is a tumor, it may be something called a histiocytoma which is a benign tumor that goes away on its own. However, it could be something more serious such as a mast cell tumor. If it is a mast cell tumor then you need to have it removed as soon as possible.

I would definitely recommend a vet visit. Your vet will likely do a test called a fine needle aspirate and determine how worried we need to be.

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (9789 views)

Tapeworm contagious? I have a 3-4 yr old Siamese cat named Vincent....I got him from a shelter as a... (27989 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (11927 views)

Frontline and capstar but still has fleas. My cat has fleas. We have treated him with capstar and frontline, given him a flea... (18417 views)

Peeing in the house. I would like a REAL solution to this, without the standard answers or suggestions(... (8011 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7681 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (11479 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (4668 views)

Lump on hamster's toe. Hey! A week or 2 ago I noticed a tiny reddish pink bump on one of the toes on my... (15969 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (32611 views)