lump on ear

Breed: mini dachshund
In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been keeping an eye on it and it just keeps on getting bigger. Its redish brown and looks like its scabbed over on the top of the bump. It doesn't seem to hurt him when I touch it or put some presser on it. What could it be? Do you think they need to remove it right away? I know its going to cost a lot of money to take him to to vet and have them remove it but I just want a second opinion before I take him in. Thank you for your help.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Gus Gus' lump.

It is possible that this is just a wound or even an infected insect bite. However, if the lump is continuing to get bigger then there is the possibility that there is something more serious going on.

If it is a tumor, it may be something called a histiocytoma which is a benign tumor that goes away on its own. However, it could be something more serious such as a mast cell tumor. If it is a mast cell tumor then you need to have it removed as soon as possible.

I would definitely recommend a vet visit. Your vet will likely do a test called a fine needle aspirate and determine how worried we need to be.

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (27200 views)

Cat has vomiting and diarrhea. Hi my cat is about one year old and we feed him and give him water everday but he... (12657 views)

3 week old kitten with diarrhea. i have a kitten that is 3 weeks old and she has diarrhea and also i wanted to know... (12366 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (18318 views)

Should I spay my dog? Hello, I have an 8-year old Maltese which is not spayed. It was something we... (11640 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (4858 views)

Vomiting kitten My 4 month old kitten was fine 3 days ago, then she suddenly regurgitated her... (15053 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (4408 views)

Bloated stomach in Papillion. my dog had a bloated stomach and had trouble going to the bathroom and the next day... (23935 views)

Running with puppy. I recently adopted a 14 month old Airedale. he is neutered, in good health and is a... (5061 views)