lump on ear

Breed: mini dachshund
In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been keeping an eye on it and it just keeps on getting bigger. Its redish brown and looks like its scabbed over on the top of the bump. It doesn't seem to hurt him when I touch it or put some presser on it. What could it be? Do you think they need to remove it right away? I know its going to cost a lot of money to take him to to vet and have them remove it but I just want a second opinion before I take him in. Thank you for your help.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Gus Gus' lump.

It is possible that this is just a wound or even an infected insect bite. However, if the lump is continuing to get bigger then there is the possibility that there is something more serious going on.

If it is a tumor, it may be something called a histiocytoma which is a benign tumor that goes away on its own. However, it could be something more serious such as a mast cell tumor. If it is a mast cell tumor then you need to have it removed as soon as possible.

I would definitely recommend a vet visit. Your vet will likely do a test called a fine needle aspirate and determine how worried we need to be.

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (10390 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (28086 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (45982 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (6132 views)

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (29781 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (10648 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (25765 views)

What is this red lump on my dog's leg? dear dr marie, in the last week this oozy boil-like bump has shown up on my dog`s... (255120 views)

Type of clippers? I need to know what kind or brand of trimmer to use on my rough coat Collie. Tried... (11368 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (14595 views)